AetherSX2 PS2 emulator enters early access, is now available on the Play Store

playstation-2-logo-F384843875-seeklogo.com (1).png

Quietly arriving on Android's Google Play Store today is the new AetherSX2 emulator. Promising solid performance emulating PlayStation 2 games on mobile, you can now test it out for yourself and see how well AetherSX2 runs on your phone. As with other PS2 emulators, you will need a copy of your PS2's BIOS in order to play games, and if you're looking to get decent results, you'll want to use a device with at least a Snapdragon 845. The app is currently in early access, meaning it may be buggy or unreliable during this testing phase.

FAQ: https://aethersx2.xyz/

AetherSX2 is a emulator of the PS Two console for the Android platform. You can play games which you have dumped from disc on your portable device.

A BIOS image **is required** to play games and is not optional. This image should be dumped from your own console, using a homebrew application.

You need a high end device to achieve good performance. We recommend at least a Snapdragon 845-equivalent device. This means 4 large cores (Cortex-A75 level, 500 or more single core Geekbench 5). If you only have two big cores (e.g. Snapdragon 700 series SoCs), you should not enable multi-threaded VU, and performance will suffer as a result.

Devices with Mali or PowerVR GPUs will run the app, but performance will be much lower than Adreno GPUs, and the Vulkan renderer will not be available. This is because they are missing a critical feature (dual-source blending).

Features:
- System simulation
- OpenGL, Vulkan and Software rendering
- Upscaling of games to 1080p and beyond
- Widescreen patches for games without native support
- Save states
- Touchscreen and bluetooth controller support
- Games can be loaded from iso/chd/cso disc images
- Per game settings

Disclaimers:
AetherSX2 should only be used to play games you own and have dumped from disc yourself. To dump your games, you can use a tool such as ImgBurn to create a .iso for the disc, and then copy across it to your device over USB.

This app is not affiliated in any way with Sony Interactive Entertainment.

:arrow: Download

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow I'm impressed so far! Good time to have a Galaxy fold 3,.. With a Gamesir x2,.. Only had my fold 3 for 2 weeks and this pops out... So far I have put 34 games on my SD card.. And all of them work great except Gran Turismo 4.. Some tracks it's fine others it's choppy but still I'm sure with a ton of updates this will work perfectly... Oh well good bye play! & Damon get go f*ck itself side ways...
I never thought they would get ps2 running on mobile phones....
Xbox 360 next?
I'd hoping for Orginal XBOX Xemu emulator :D

mario-lucis-caelum

Trophies
XP
Country
Works great on my Poco F2 Pro with SD 865. Tested four games (Wild Arms V, Persona 3 FES, Budokai Tenkaichi 3, KH 2 Final Mix) all were running at fullspeed and there were no performance dips as far as I can tell. Amazing emulator all in all. It's only an Alpha build but it's already this good.

cobjak

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Someone got a list of playable game (like kingdom hearts) and settings to play with correct fps?

I'm looking for the same with gamecube games also

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it's pretty random from device to device.
Doesn't sound great and more like it was overhyped by some.

Better to play it on an actual PS2, emulate it on PS3/PS4, a laptop capable of it, or the Steam Deck and such. Well, there's also Switch with Linux support so that may be something?

Touch screen controls are a pain in the ass so that'd make me avoid it anyway (I know you can pair with a Bluetooth/Wired controller, cept it's not the same experience).

Reactions: cobjak

cobjak

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Doesn't sound great and more like it was overhyped by some.

Better to play it on an actual PS2, emulate it on PS3/PS4, a laptop capable of it, or the Steam Deck and such. Well, there's also Switch with Linux support so that may be something?

Touch screen controls are a pain in the ass so that'd make me avoid it anyway (I know you can pair with a Bluetooth/Wired controller, cept it's not the same experience).
It's not that bad but it's very experimental, I don't know how to make games playable there is too many settings that I don't understand... Even for gamecube.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

DrPerkeleeee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I mean it also really depends on your phone. I have for example 8 GB RAM and a fast processor. I can play games like GTA San Andreas, Rule of Rose, Final Fantasy 12, LEGO Batman, Buccaneer, PhantasyvStar Generations 1 & 2. (Some of the games I tested and playing atm) And when there's a lot of going on like in FF 12, a combat scene or in town on a market place then the game slows down from 60 fps to like 30 or 40 fps.
If you search on Youtube, there are some great videos that show you how to set the emulator for best performance. Like always 60 fps for example. Deactivating the fps limiter is a great choice. I did this for FF 12. And the fps where like double as fast. Was playing flawless. You really need to find the right settimgs for you. And beeing in that early stage this emulator is already pretty good!

Reactions: cobjak

cobjak

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I mean it also really depends on your phone. I have for example 8 GB RAM and a fast processor. I can play games like GTA San Andreas, Rule of Rose, Final Fantasy 12, LEGO Batman, Buccaneer, PhantasyvStar Generations 1 & 2. (Some of the games I tested and playing atm) And when there's a lot of going on like in FF 12, a combat scene or in town on a market place then the game slows down from 60 fps to like 30 or 40 fps.
If you search on Youtube, there are some great videos that show you how to set the emulator for best performance. Like always 60 fps for example. Deactivating the fps limiter is a great choice. I did this for FF 12. And the fps where like double as fast. Was playing flawless. You really need to find the right settimgs for you. And beeing in that early stage this emulator is already pretty good!
OH I forgot to say I'm on switch with the android partition, the switch isn't really powerful I think it's better to play on phone/pc and share the screen on switch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls