AetherSX2 is a new PlayStation 2 emulator for Android, is currently in alpha

playstation-2-logo-F384843875-seeklogo.com.png

The PlayStation 2 emulation scene has just seen the arrival of a new surprise contender. AetherSX2 is a PS2 emulator that runs on Android devices, and is set to release relatively soon. It comes from a new developer named Tahlreth, and while very little is known about the history of how AetherSX2 came to be, certain YouTubers have been given a alpha build of the emulator to show off the performance of PlayStation 2 games. Titles like Devil May Cry, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, and Final Fantasy X are shown off, even running at fairly smooth framerates. The emulator is said to perform best when used with phones that have Snapdragon SoCs, and has wide compatibility with the PS2's library.

A beta build is planned for release sometime soon, where users will be able to get it from the Google Play Store and test it out, prior to a full launch.

:arrow: Source

What is it?​

AetherSX2 is an emulator of the Sony PlayStation 2(TM) / PS2(TM) console for the Android platform. You can play games which you have dumped from disc on your portable device.

What are the requirements?​

The PS2(TM) is an extremely complex piece of hardware, with many very powerful components, even for today. You need a high end device to achieve good performance.

We recommend at least a Snapdragon 845-equivalent device. This means 4 large cores (Cortex-A75 level). If you only have two big cores (e.g. Snapdragon 700 series SoCs, you should not enable multi-threaded VU, and performance will suffer as a result). Devices with Mali or PowerVR GPUs will run the app, but performance will be much lower than Adreno GPUs, and the Vulkan renderer will not be available. This is because they are missing a critical feature (dual-source blending).

If you want to use the app on a slower device, you can try it, but games will run slow, especially heavier titles. You can try underclocking the CPU by setting the cycle rate to a negative number, and the cycle skip to a positive number in System settings, but this will cause games to lag internally at best, or crash at worst.

Expectations.​

This is a free app, worked on as a hobby in the developer's free time. At the time of writing, it is in very early stages and missing many useful features, however is usable for playing some games.

It is not going to be perfect, far from it. I will continue to improve it when I have time, but please remember this is not my job, and to have realistic expectations, especially if you do not have a high end device.

As it is an early preview, you should save your game regularly in case of crashes.

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
If this is legit Damonps2 will rot in hell, just as that malware mess of stolen pcsx2 code should.

Although according to some info i saw on the "Official Page" for Aethersx2 on r/emulationonandroid this may also be using pcsx2 code, but within the license guidelines.
EDIT: to rectify this comment i found the post on reddit i was talking about and found the github link, it *could* be a pcsx2 fork or maybe our dev here is just a madlad who made their own implementation.
FINAL EDIT: So it's a fork, but a fully approved by the PCSX2 Team one, unlike a certain piece of paid garbage that i'm gonna just pretend doesn't exist as it's gonna fall into the void of neglect now, I'm going on a limb and saying if they trust and support AetherSX2, we have all the reason in the world now to do the same.

This is your totally unprofessional, one-time and unofficial PS2 Emulator reporter Cinna signing out; have fun playing your PS2 collection when this releases!

Last edited by AngryCinnabon,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
*insert p3p joke*
(wait that's the point of your comment isn't it.)

FES is better for the most part anyways though
Yeah I want to get into Portable but FES is just so nice. Best opening theme of any game I've played too (Tales of Zestiria a close second!).

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

Deleted member 388531

Trophies
XP
If this is legit Damonps2 will rot in hell, just as that malware mess of stolen pcsx2 code should.

Although according to some info i saw on the "Official Page" for Aethersx2 on r/emulationonandroid this may also be using pcsx2 code, but within the license guidelines.
EDIT: to rectify this comment i found the post on reddit i was talking about and found the github link, it *could* be a pcsx2 fork or maybe our dev here is just a madlad who made their own implementation.
it's definitely a fork

Brawl345

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.de
XP
Country
Germany
Sketchy af. No download? No code? Just the GitHub page with no screenshots or anything? GitHub account created 6 days ago? Why is this news? This smells like stolen code.

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Sketchy af. No download? No code? Just the GitHub page with no screenshots or anything? GitHub account created 6 days ago? Why is this news? This smells like stolen code.
Shady or not it's a hot subject, PS2 Emulation is already somewhat messy on PC so mobile users have one of two options atm, use an extremely slow and heavily WIP safe emulator (Play!) or use a shady, paid and very likely malicious but much more (in comparasion) efficient hackjob (DamonPS2). Time will tell if this is just fluff or an actual step in the right direction, but it's noteworthy either way imo as it's promising a lot of things if true.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seeing it in action could give it a bit of credibility:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1