Hacking Advise please Just got wii u 32gb black

Cart00nHead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it has Mario kart installed I deleted previous owner user (well my gf did without me knowing she got it as a suprise as if had tons of use from my other wiis) mainly we use with emulators and general fiddling such as playing mario kart over wiimmfi. So I have some familiarity with home brew channel and so on. Now mk8 is still on the system and works but I have a few questions.

Initially I thought the servers are shut off for the wifi u is that the case?
I don't have a Nintendo account as of yet and have not attempted to make one or tie mk8 to one (if that's even possible) but I gather I should do this should I need to reinstall mk8 in future.

We have set up the wifi briefly obviously just see make sure the system was working as of doing this I wasn't aware of having to block forced patches at the time. As far as I know it hasn't updated and I THINK not 100% it is running 5.5.2 (not sure as of writing this)

My plans for this system are firstly to play mk8 zelda botw and Mario maker can I still get dlc for these titles? I then plan to add emulators making it the ultimate system (as noted in a popular thread on here, the main difference from my old wiis being I plan to use a external hdd and have GameCube games and more psx titles.

What should I do next time I turn it on? Should I update or just turn my router off? And should I try tie mk8 to a new account ? Thanks

oh and we DO play online regular so having online play available is a must :)

Last edited by Cart00nHead,

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Latest update is safe, you can use homebrew in 5.5.2. Wii U servers won't close because Nintendo owns them. The Wii servers closed because GameSpy owned them, and they were bought out by Glu. Just pay $5 for a DS game and install haxchi for permanent hax

Cart00nHead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I'm just working from memory maybe it's running 5.5.1 can I go ahead update and make a Nintendo account then with no worries (as said I haven't touched it yet just fishing for advise) again thanks oh if I go the hax route can I get doc that way then ?

wafflestick

(insert title here)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I'm just working from memory maybe it's running 5.5.1 can I go ahead update and make a Nintendo account then with no worries (as said I haven't touched it yet just fishing for advise) again thanks oh if I go the hax route can I get doc that way then ?

yes completely safe to update, after that follow this guide exactly https://wiiu.guide/ and you should be running cfw in no time

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes completely safe to update, after that follow this guide exactly https://wiiu.guide/ and you should be running cfw in no time
Do NOT follow Wii U guide. It's horribly written and doesn't explain anything. use the noob guide on GBATemp by Kafluke

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Do NOT follow Wii U guide. It's horribly written and doesn't explain anything. use the noob guide on GBATemp by Kafluke
I second that. Definitely follow the noob guide by Kafluke. Best guide out there. It will have you running CFW in no time. I highly recommend going the CBHC route as well.

Cart00nHead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yea I thought the same Iv looked at the noob guide a few times now, I'm just not 100% sure how to back the nand up will I need 2 sd cards? And if mk8 is not tied to a previous account can I still make a Nintendo account and register it to my own then?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea I thought the same Iv looked at the noob guide a few times now, I'm just not 100% sure how to back the nand up will I need 2 sd cards? And if mk8 is not tied to a previous account can I still make a Nintendo account and register it to my own then?
You can either back the whole nand up and then copy it off the SD to your computer for safe keeping or just otp.bin and seeprom.

The nand backup is really just for hardmod unbrick using a teensy flasher. If you have otp.in and seeprom you can fix anything with the flasher. The mlc.bin and other files are really for future use when someone can figure out a way to use them with homebrew.

In other words, get the whole nand (every file) if you have the room. Then copy it to your computer for safe keeping. You can delete it off the SD afterward.

If you don't have the room then at a bare minimum just get otp.bin and seeprom and you'll be fine if something were to ever happen.

If I don't set up the blocking can I risk the updates bricking my system? Or would it just leave me with a regular wii u
Update won't brick. It will just leave you with a regular Wii u unless you have HaxChi. The update doesn't affect HaxChi it just makes browserhax harder than normal.

But no brick risk at all with updating

Last edited by Kafluke,

Cart00nHead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
finally got some time to have a go at it :) But a couple of questions first.

I'v only got a 16gb sd card to hand at the moment and was thinking of getting a DS game and going the haxchi route and not bothering with any sort of back up and not bothering to block any system updates, Is this a safe viable option? and if i decide to use a larger sd card later down the line can i just copy and paste the contents over and be good to go?

my reason for this choice is (if its going to be viable) is i already own a few modded wii's so wont be modding the vWii side of the system right now as i'm happy with using the component cables and being able to also use a CRT television for the emulators on it. or does haxchi also let me use homebrew channel for the vWii? (havent give it much thought its just crossed my mind as typing)

Anyhow what i'm hoping to to do today is to safely get haxchi running and be able to add virtual console games to the WiiU. My understanding is if its successful each time the WiiU is powered up i'd run the DS game with the exploit in place and then be able to launch individual VC games from tiles on the game pad just like any legit VC game.

Also out of curiosity is there a way to play Wii games with the game pad only for example say skyward sword but on the game pad screen only and without having to use motion controls?

and lastly what i am most interested in is, is it possible to to play gamecube games with just the gamepad?

thanks.

Last edited by Cart00nHead,

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
finally got some time to have a go at it and could do with my hand holding if anyone is not busy :) But a couple of questions first.

I'v only got a 16gb sd card to hand at the moment and was thinking of getting a DS game and going the haxchi route and not bothering with any sort of back up and not bothering to block any system updates, Is this a safe viable option? and if i decide to use a larger sd card later down the line can i just copy and paste the contents over and be good to go?

my reason for this choice is (if its going to be viable) is i already own a few modded wii's so wont be modding the vWii side of the system right now as i'm happy with using the component cables and being able to also use a CRT television for the emulators on it. or does haxchi also let me use homebrew channel for the vWii? (havent give it much thought its just crossed my mind as typing)

Anyhow what i'm hoping to to do today is to safely get haxchi running and be able to add virtual console games to the WiiU. My understanding is if its successful each time the WiiU is powered up i'd run the DS game with the exploit in place and then be able to launch individual VC games from tiles on the game pad just like any legit VC game.

Also out of curiosity is there a way to play Wii games with the game pad only for example say skyward sword but on the game pad screen only and without having to use motion controls?

and lastly what i am most interested in is, is it possible to to play gamecube games with just the gamepad?

thanks.
Gamecube games work great with the gamepad Some wii original games too if they have classic controller suppor.. Also definitely buy a game & do Haxchi & CBHC saves a ton of time trying to get the web exploit working.. It crashes a lot gets old fast

Last edited by SuperDan,

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so do gamecube games run on the game pads screen then? whats the best method to do that?
There is a GC/WII injection tool That you will find on this site... Just make your own injects... Install them to your wii u Hard drive & play they will play simultaneously on your gamepad & TV.. Just turn the brightness off the pad when using your TV as for Wii games there isn't a mod for motion controls... Just stick to the nunchuck & mote... A few games use the classic controller I. E Mario kart & a few others.. When you make a wii inject u patch it for the gamepad to worK.... & then there is all the Retro games I. E N64. snes, sega. Nes. Ect Even a few Ps1 games work... Of course on the gamepad too or TV

Last edited by SuperDan,

Cart00nHead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is a GC/WII injection tool That you will find on this site... Just make your own injects... Install them to your wii u Hard drive & play they will play simultaneously on your gamepad & TV.. Just turn the brightness off the pad when using your TV as for Wii games there isn't a mod for motion controls... Just stick to the nunchuck & mote... A few games use the classic controller I. E Mario kart & a few others.. When you make a wii inject u patch it for the gamepad to worK.... & then there is all the Retro games I. E N64. snes, sega. Nes. Ect Even a few Ps1 games work... Of course on the gamepad too or TV

ok nice one i'll look into that thanks, i guess i'd better pick up another external hdd first :) i have haxchi up and running now and about to try a couple of emulators on it one thing i'm not sure of is how to add some VC games can anyone help without breaking any rules? such as file types and where to place them on the card? thanks

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok nice one i'll look into that thanks, i guess i'd better pick up another external hdd first :) i have haxchi up and running now and about to try a couple of emulators on it one thing i'm not sure of is how to add some VC games can anyone help without breaking any rules? such as file types and where to place them on the card? thanks
for the most part you will need a HDD and make injects then install them using Wup installer gx2 to your HDD .. until then you can use Retroarch and play snes ,nes ,sega ,neo geop cps1 cps2 .. from your SD card .... AND you can use Nintendont to play Gamecube Games from your SD Card ....

Cart00nHead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
for the most part you will need a HDD and make injects then install them using Wup installer gx2 to your HDD .. until then you can use Retroarch and play snes ,nes ,sega ,neo geop cps1 cps2 .. from your SD card .... AND you can use Nintendont to play Gamecube Games from your SD Card ....

nice, would i be able to use nintendont with just the sd card and run double dash??

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Wait, if you delete the previous user and MK8 is still in the system, it means MK8 doesn't belong the previous user.
The Wii U you have already have MK8 installed as a free game with the system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: