Hacking Advice Sought - Putting CFW on BNIB New 3DS and Link NNID

WiteWulf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morning all, full disclosure: I broke my N3DS trying to hardmod it (destroyed a ZIF connector and another cable socket, now won't power up). I'm an idiot. So, moving on...

I've bought another New 3DS, brand new in box (got a real good deal on it) so it should come with a FW <10.7 and I'll be able to softmod it. I understand that if I ask Nintendo support nicely they'll allow me to redownload my old eShop purchases to the new device if I give them the old and new serial numbers. Obviously I can't do a system transfer as a) the old device is fubar and b) I don't want to take the new one up to the latest FW.

So, my question is what is the best order to set things up? Should I set up the new device without a NNID and softmod it, then once it's got emunand/CFW sorted on it set it up with my NNID and redownload my eShop purchases?

Any advice gratefully accepted...

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, my question is what is the best order to set things up? Should I set up the new device without a NNID and softmod it, then once it's got emunand/CFW sorted on it set it up with my NNID and redownload my eShop purchases?
That sounds like the safest route. I do have a system that had about $250 worth of eShop stuff and ambassador games that I put A9LH on and it lost nothing though. So either way technically works.

Reactions: WiteWulf
D

Deleted User

Morning all, full disclosure: I broke my N3DS trying to hardmod it (destroyed a ZIF connector and another cable socket, now won't power up). I'm an idiot. So, moving on...

I've bought another New 3DS, brand new in box (got a real good deal on it) so it should come with a FW <10.7 and I'll be able to softmod it. I understand that if I ask Nintendo support nicely they'll allow me to redownload my old eShop purchases to the new device if I give them the old and new serial numbers. Obviously I can't do a system transfer as a) the old device is fubar and b) I don't want to take the new one up to the latest FW.

Any advice gratefully accepted...
Without first. If you do it before- some of the steps call for formatting (which is fine because you can copy data back later except for saves) and that will make the NNID useless on the server- it'll disconnect it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So SoftMod WITHOUT linking it right away.

Reactions: WiteWulf

WiteWulf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the advice guys, very helpful. I'm ploughing through the guide now, dealing with the *really* funny April Fools gags some devs put into their apps last night and it's all going relatively smoothly.

I also talked to Nintendo customer support earlier to get my eShop downloads reset and they were very helpful. They just asked me to confirm a load of personal details and advised that all the purchases would be available to redownload on the new device in a couple of hours once I'd linked it to my NNID. Surprisingly, they didn't ask for serial numbers for either the old or new device. The phone call was over in less than 5 minutes!

Unfortunately it looks like I've lost all the game save data from my original device, although I still have the SD intact. Unless there's someway of decrypting those saves and transferring them across.....?

D

Deleted User

Thanks for the advice guys, very helpful. I'm ploughing through the guide now, dealing with the *really* funny April Fools gags some devs put into their apps last night and it's all going relatively smoothly.

I also talked to Nintendo customer support earlier to get my eShop downloads reset and they were very helpful. They just asked me to confirm a load of personal details and advised that all the purchases would be available to redownload on the new device in a couple of hours once I'd linked it to my NNID. Surprisingly, they didn't ask for serial numbers for either the old or new device. The phone call was over in less than 5 minutes!

Unfortunately it looks like I've lost all the game save data from my original device, although I still have the SD intact. Unless there's someway of decrypting those saves and transferring them across.....?
Try using JKSaveManager on SysNAND custom firmware

WiteWulf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, a little update with some info gleaned in another thread, just in case anyone comes to this thread hoping to to achieve what I was after.

Turns out I can't get the saves off my broken 3DS as it's a) not operational and b) not soft-mod'd. You can only export saves from a soft-mod'd device, so I've lost all my eshop game saves and mii plaza data.

Ah well, shit happens

Last edited by WiteWulf,
D

Deleted User

Okay, a little update with some info gleaned in another thread, just in case anyone comes to this thread hoping to to achieve what I was after.

Turns out I can't get the saves off my broken 3DS as it's not a) not operational and b) not soft-mod'd. You can only export saves from a soft-mod'd device, so I've lost all my eshop game saves and mii plaza data.

Ah well, shit happens
Yikes!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs