Advice on porting game to Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Empyr69er, Jun 22, 2009.

Jun 22, 2009
  1. Empyr69er
    OP

Member Empyr69er GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Okay, so I want to port a game to the Wii. This is my first experience with developing homebrew and I think if it works out, I will make people happy!

I have the game(it is a .BAS file) which i also can access the source to, and I have DevKitPro Installed. The game is originally for MS-DOS and has to be booted using QBasic. I want to do this the easiest/best way possible. If any devs or people that would have knowledge in porting games, please chime in and give any tips whatsoever.

Basically, I just want to know what my next steps are or if there are any links about porting games to the Wii that would be great!

thanks!
    EMPYR

2. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Do you know any programming languages? I'm not getting the vibe like you do..

The easiest way to port a game to Wii is if it's written in C/C++ which it most definitely doesn't sound like it is. You'd probably have to rewrite the game to C and map existing functions to wii libraries.

Now if it's just an old MS-DOS game, you may have better luck not even bothering to port it... but instead to use dosbox to just emulate the game.

3. Empyr69er
    OP

Canada
    thanks for the reply.

I am actually converting the basic source code to C right now. I have no coding knowledge whatsoever, but I can follow steps really well! So far everything has been pretty understandable for me. Check out my post in the Homebrew section and you can follow my 'progress' on Gorillas.BAS.

As for DOSBox, I dont want to use it for just one game..I want to port this game so I can learn how to develop homebrew and also i can just boot it up and play right away.(maybe other people will too.)

4. Helsionium

Member Helsionium Alpha and Omega

Austria
    Converting Basic code to C code is actually the right thing to start with, but I doubt you'll get very far without any coding knowledge. The code converting might actually work, I have myself successfully converted code from languages I did not understand well. But I believe you'll need profound knowledge of the target language and key differences between the languages to actually make it work. Specifically, you must more likely then not implement new libraries, which requires writing new code, and a basic understanding of how programming works.

I wish you good luck and would like to offer my help to you, but I hate C. I understand it, I can even write in it, but I don't. This is the reason I haven't released more than a few homebrew code snippets every now and then, because homebrew is mostly limited to C (or even worse, ASM). However, if you need any help with programming in general, I'd be more than happy to help you. Just ask and I'll try to answer.

5. Empyr69er
    OP

Canada
    Thanks for dropping the knowledge on me dude! I know that this is no small feat with not knowing any code scripting(if thats what you call it lol), but hopefully it will be my breakthrough in finding my way around developing software. I always read guides a billion times before i try to actually start something. I'm so cautious!!

I will definitely take you up on your offer with helping me with some questions I may have. Once this port is complete I will give you a nice spot in the credits!!

Thanks for the kind words again.

EMPYR