Hardware Advice: If you intend to hack the Switch if it ever can be; consider buying your games physically

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this is something I did with the Wii U that really is paying off now. Prior to the Wii U was hacked I bought just about all my Wii U games (aside from a couple that my ex bought for me digitally) physically, despite having a USB hard drive that I could have stored all my titles on. I ended up with with about a dozen great Wii U titles before the system truly became hacked. Once hacked I redownloaded all my games to my Wii U usb hard drive and was left with the ability to sell my old games while still being able to play them with my same save and everything, and so I did sell them on ebay and made about $300 back from my collection, effectively paying for my Switch. Now there is no guarantee that the Switch will be hacked, but it is nice that if it does that you can go sell your collection of games to help buy your next system. Perhaps this is all kind of obvious, I'm just pleased with how this has worked out for me and wanted to share my experience in case you may be interested in doing the same.

Last edited by duffmmann,
Reactions: DreIceAge

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this is something I did with the Wii U that really is paying off now. Prior to the Wii U was hacked I bought just about all my Wii U games (aside from a couple that my ex bought for me digitally) physically, despite having a USB hard drive that I could have stored all my titles on. I ended up with with about a dozen great Wii U titles before the system truly became hacked. Once hacked I redownloaded all my games to my Wii U usb hard drive and was left with the ability to sell my old games while still being able to play them with my same save and everything, and so I did sell them on ebay and made about $300 back from my collection, effectively paying for my Switch. Now there is no guarantee that the Switch will be hacked, but it is nice that if it does that you can go sell your collection of games to help buy your next system. Perhaps this is all kind of obvious, I'm just pleased with how this has worked out for me and wanted to share my experience in case you may be interested in doing the same.
Tips on how to get the best prices on eBay would be good. It seems a little tough right now as there is an over supply.

Is it better to wait a bit or is just going to get worse?

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tips on how to get the best prices on eBay would be good. It seems a little tough right now as there is an over supply.

Is it better to wait a bit or is just going to get worse?

Well based on everything I've ever seen, unless you own a high demand game that never had a huge supply, the prices you can get for games typically drop significantly when the next system is released. Eventually they may bounce up in price a bit, but that can take a lot of time especially when the eshop remains active.

What I recommend is initially offering your full collection of games in one auction with a starting bid of what you think is both fair but above the least you'd take for all of your games, and leave it up for a week or so. Its quite possible the full collection wont sell, but you may receive questions asking if you'd make a deal for your collection (this is what happened for me, asking for about $50 less than what I had them listed for, yet still falling above the lowest price I'd take for my collection). Had I not received an offer and no one had bid on my auction before it ended, I would have then gone and re-listed each game separately at about $25 to $30 each (most games I own seem to sell used for around those price points from what I was observing in other auctions). Its not a science, every experience will differ, its just a matter of the right person coming across your listing(s).

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously? Advice: buy the games you intend to play or enjoy. Maybe you just wanna collect? Do as you damn please!

Uh, I'm just giving advice if you want to make some money back in the future while keeping your games if you intend to hack. I make that pretty clear, advice is advice, not dictation. Lighten up.

Reactions: mustafag32g

bnolsen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually kind of the opposite. I download games, try them. If I actually start playing them I'll look to purchase a real copy. But since I buy used I'm not really helping the original developers...

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually kind of the opposite. I download games, try them. If I actually start playing them I'll look to purchase a real copy. But since I buy used I'm not really helping the original developers...
Why would you purchase a game twice? That makes even less sense. If you want to just try a game it would be better to buy a physical copy anyway, because if you don't like you can at least get some of your money back.

bnolsen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you purchase a game twice? That makes even less sense. If you want to just try a game it would be better to buy a physical copy anyway, because if you don't like you can at least get some of your money back.

I thought OP was buying games up front, then downloading hax and selling off the games...

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought OP was buying games up front, then downloading hax and selling off the games...
OP bought games before hax were released, and then selling them off once they got hax, which makes some sense. You are saying you buy a digital copy to test the game, and then purchase a physical copy if you like it which doesn't make sense. If you don't like the game that you bought digital copy you can't resell it. Whereas if you buy the physical copy first anyway, if you don't like it you can resell it to recoup some of the cost.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,
Reactions: duffmmann

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP bought games before hax were released, and then selling them off once they got hax, which makes some sense. You are saying you buy a digital copy to test the game, and then purchase a digital copy if you like it which doesn't make sense. If you don't like the game that you bought digital copy you can't resell it. Whereas if you buy the physical copy first anyway, if you don't like it you can resell it to recoup some of the cost.

bingo

D

Deleted User

I generally have been starting to avoid physical copies of games lately. i've had my pokemon Y lost for over a year now. and generally physical copies, when they break. they're done for. moreso with Disc based games than carts, but same applies to anything physical

aljpn91

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
i only got my wii u because i knew i would be able to hack it eventually
still ended up buying a bunch of new games for it though (mk8 and splatoon were bundled)
because when i got it it was on 5.4 which had no public entrypoint at the time
no hax=no buy

Last edited by aljpn91,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM