OP
Trophies
Website
myaltimit.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys.

I own a SuperSlim PS3 4.60 (it was a gift, didn't get much choice and don't want to be disrespectful and just sell it to buy a fat one). I'm looking for an ODE that is relatively inexpensive and runs homebrew without too much difficulty. I don't really care about PSN too much as I mostly want to run retro roms on it and use it as a media center. If possible I'd like it to make use of the internal HDD (750GB), or at least run it internally without having to buy a portable case for it.

What are my best options to achieve this?

D

Deleted User

As much as you'd hate to hear it - sell it and get an older slim/fat.

Most ODE's work - but anything past 4.50 required swap discs so you'd have to be swapping discs in and out to play your backups from a portable drive. You would not be able to run any homebrew on ODE so you're outta luck on that for emulators and any other homebrew software.

ODE will get you running backups and that's pretty much it. IF you can deal with disc swapping and the methods - most will work as far as I know.

Reactions: Wilhelm

Wilhelm

The Voice of Reason
OP
Trophies
Website
myaltimit.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, I guess getting a fat PS3 is unavoidable then. Any idea the price range I'm looking at for one? I may just put the SuperSlim on Craigs List and go from there.

D

Deleted User

Unless you have a desire to have backwards PS2 compatibility - you're better off finding a 2K slim. Much easier to find and flash (if needed) versus paying someone/paying for a NAND downgrade.

smasbros

Trophies
XP
Country
Cobra ODE DMC Module can work for PHAT PATA, SATA PHAT, 2K / 2K5 / 3K on 4.60 OFW , saw it's in stock now at digimartz

Wilhelm

The Voice of Reason
OP
Trophies
Website
myaltimit.com
XP
Country
United States
I just ended up selling it, getting two GTX 760 GPUs on e-bay for $50-ish ea with the cash, running SLI, and joining the PC Steam fanbois.

A lot of PS3 games are being ported over to PC for the time being and eventually I'm sure I'll find a decently-priced phatPS3, so I can redownload all my PS3 network content that I can't find on Steam during their sales. But that superslim was an incredible disappointment looking back at it.

darkseekerliu

Advanced Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sell it and get a fat or a ps3 slim up to 2k1 series. The ode thing was a good thing till firmware 4.53 but mostly for ps3 backups only. Some psn games worked as well.

Here is a brief story on what happened on these last months:

- When sony released the firmware 4.55 it blocked the ode on Super Slim models (your model by the way).
- Cobra ode/E3 ode and 3k3y ode managed to make the ode to work again but requiring a swap disk ( a disk with some eboots info so
you can trick the ps3 to boot the backups)
- When firmware 4.60 come out it also blocked the ode on old ps3 models (phat, slim and 3k) - but on superslim the odes kept working with swap disk
- The following odes team died: 3k3y and E3 - they bring no more updates
- Only cobra ode team managed to develop a device to enable ode's to older ps3 models to work again called DMC
- Last days, sony released the ofw 4.70 that adds another security and some are repporting that the cobra ode stops working.

If your superslim was on ofw 4.53 you could use your ode to play backups without the hassle of swap disk, but I highly recommend you
to sell your super slim and get a phat (with ps2 support) - you will enjoy frequent cfw updates, all ps3 games, all ps2 and ps1 games,
a lot of homebrew and psn games.

Hope I could be of any help for you and others.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free