Hacking Advice and route to take regarding flashcards and firmware updates

the3dsguy

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
226
Trophies
0
Age
34
XP
223
Country
Canada
here is my dilemma, currently I have:

3DS XL 9.5 - running 9.5 emunand gateway - Not Refundable

N3DS JP XL 9.2 - Running nothing (yet?) - Not Refundable

N3DS US XL 9.0 - Running nothing (yet?) - Refundable

I'm trying to do the most cost efficient thing, however I also want to enjoy the New 3DS as the games look and run so much better. Even playing the games the controls are so much better.

I have several options and was wondering what you would do in my situation?

Either Return the US XL 9.0, wait for gateway support for my JP console, cancel order with sky 3ds. (didnt spend any extra money)(no effort required)

Keep the N3DS US XL 9.0, continue order with SKY3DS, update the firmware to 9.5 and enjoy online. Wait for gateway support for N3DS for my JP Console. Basically keep them all, most costly. Money is somewhat a concern 50/50.(spend the most money)(no effort required) - $1100 total over the span of 2 years

Try to sell both 3ds xl, n3ds jp and my gateway card to offset the cost, keep only the N3DS US XL 9.0, buy a sky3ds and update it to 9.5. forever forgetting about using ateway in the future. (Some extra money is spend, possible firmware block in the future)(some effort required selling some things)

keep n3ds US at 9.0, continue with sky3ds, when gateway support comes, just use the n3ds us, sell the other 2 if i can...(some extra money is spend, gateway + n3ds US, sell sky3ds)(a lot of effort required, selling almost everything, at the beginning and near the end)

bottom line is, with all the hardware including sky3ds it can total close to 1100 dollars. 226 + 100 + 400 + 260 + 113 = $1099 - within the span of 2 years, importing that japanese 3ds was a bad idea and cost me 400 bucks. all prices include my country's taxes of 13 percent.

what should i do to offset the cost but at the same time be able to enjoy the new 3ds, i really want to use the damn thing. thats why i made that spontaneous purchase of the US N3DS

btw eb is offering a trade in of my old 3ds XL for 100 dollars if i went with them. no guarentees that i will get 9.0, i will need to return my n3ds us back to bestbuy. as something else to consider.

if there is any options you could think up of that would be great.

please help me gbatempers!

ps: i am not a collector, i would rather just have 1 device only, its my wrong purchase decisions starting from the N3DS JP Console, due to gateway's hype video that messed me up. now i want to simplify it.
 

the3dsguy

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
226
Trophies
0
Age
34
XP
223
Country
Canada
I'd sell the older two, and just keep the US N3DS and pair it with Sky3DS.


good idea, however the one thing that does concern me is, if sky3ds will be blocked in future firmware update and do we have a updater tool like gateway's launcher tool for the newest firmwares. thats why i am torn.
 

Ra1d

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2010
Messages
1,361
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
2,127
Country
Canada
good idea, however the one thing that does concern me is, if sky3ds will be blocked in future firmware update and do we have a updater tool like gateway's launcher tool for the newest firmwares. thats why i am torn.


SKy3DS will never have emuNAND, but it wasn't blocked yet, so I assume it isn't as easy to block as people expected.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jayro

the3dsguy

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
226
Trophies
0
Age
34
XP
223
Country
Canada
SKy3DS will never have emuNAND, but it wasn't blocked yet, so I assume it isn't as easy to block as people expected.


I think this is what I'll do, I first return the red 3ds back to best buy. I will then take up EB's trade offer and offset the cost by $113 dollars including taxes saved. I will keep gateway paired with the JP N3DS Black, until it's releases and use that console for all my cia, eshop, region free stuff. I will continue with my order with SKY3DS and with the RED N3DS obtained at EB Games, I will update that to the latest firmware, keep it ats its highest possible firmware, being able to access the eshop, download patches, game update etc. a more regular user experience. total cost would be $260 + previous amount spent. But money spend 2 years ago is money spent 2 years ago, i cant include that in the total.
 

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Global Moderator
Joined
Sep 23, 2013
Messages
15,153
Trophies
2
XP
12,226
i would just get the nand mod installed on the US n3ds XL make a nand dump, update to 9.5, use as normal, then when/if gateway does release, downgrade back to 9.0

then you can sell on the JPN n3DS XL and try get as much back as you can on it

once/if gateway does release you can sell your original 3DS XL too
 
  • Like
Reactions: Maximilious

the3dsguy

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
226
Trophies
0
Age
34
XP
223
Country
Canada
welp just went and returned 3ds to best buy, went to eb picked up a red one, got ANOTHER 9.0 firmware. what would be funny is that, nintendo bought over gateway, and this conspiracy is that now, they sold millions of units. =P
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: His grandma was hot.