Advantages of DSTWO over AK2i?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by wchill, Dec 23, 2011.

Dec 23, 2011
  1. wchill
    OP

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    Topic.
    Need a replacement cart. I know that the DSTWO has an onboard processor, emulates GBA games, media player, etc. AK2i is cheap.
    Am I missing anything? What's the feel of each cart? Which should I buy for my 3DS? I don't expect to do much GBA emulation (I have ambassador and emulation will kill my 3DS battery). If I get the DSTWO and use it only for games, will the battery continue draining at an accelerated rate?

Yep, it's been a long time since I've had to ask about flashcards.

2. serenade.63

Member serenade.63 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Eh, well, youll probably get a longer lasting flash cart out of the dstwo, the acekard is known for build errors that cause the DS to not recognize the cart because the contact isnt good enough, this can be fixed with the paper trick. the dstwo has a better over all build, but if you dont care about the extras, then the ak2i is where its at, i have both cards and they have basically the same compatibility, nearly 100%, akaio firmware for ak2i is a must, and they also can be patched to work with official nintendo updates, so no worries there with either card. Have to say i use my ak2i more though, doesnt drain the battery as bad, even if you arent emulating with dstwo the battery still dies significantly faster.

1 person likes this.
  3. wchill
    OP

United States
    Okay, the paper trick is easy enough for me to do. DSTWO battery life is a concern for me. Guess I'll get the AK2i

4. serenade.63

Member serenade.63 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    oh, one more thing, a MAJOR advantage that the dstwo has is real time save and in game menu, that is actually the reason i sprang for one.

5. wchill
    OP

United States
    I had this on my crappy M3i0 but never really ended up using it, so that's not a big deal to me.

6. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    I believe CycloDS iEvolution has good battery life, is about on level with Supercard in terms of compatibility and is the only DSi-Mode flashcart.

7. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    CycloDS is outdated and isn't supported much if at all anymore.

8. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    Hope you are joking, I would rather an R4i over a Cyclo DSI