Advantages of CFW for a Gateway user

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Bl00, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Bl00
    OP

Bl00 Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Hey GBATemp,

I've been out of the loop for the past months and since then, quite a lot of things popped up.
    Mainly the ninjhax exploit, Gateway 9.2 support and Custom Firmwares.

Now in the past few days I took the time to read up on this and unlinked my sysNAND and emuNAND, upgraded my emuNAND on my o3DS to 9.8 and converted my backups to CIA format and installed them on the console, I also transferred my saves.

Still, CFW appears to be the buzz right now and having previously only used the Gateway, I'm kind of confused why.
    The way I understand it, CFW allows people without a flashcard to play their backups as well, but limited to games that ran on 4.5.

My sysNAND is still on 4.5.0-9E and I'm using the MSET exploit to access emuNAND, as I consider it more comfortable than the Spyder exploit.
    So what exactly am I missing? Would I, as an o3DS Gateway user, benefit from CFW as well?

logg likes this.
  2. usernametaken

usernametaken GBAtemp Maniac

May 13, 2015
    United States
    This is probably what you want to look at:

rxTools

3. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    If you already have a Gateway, CFW won't benefit you too much. But using rxTools (not rxMode) can help with decryption, NAND stuff, and more. rxTools isn't a CFW, rxMode is.

4. nccom

nccom GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2006
    Estonia
    DSIware and limited GBA games support, basically thats it. All other features are available on gateway and most of them were actually copied from it.

TheShadowRunner and logg like this.
  5. miamore

miamore GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    France
    try rxtools. its much better than CFW and gateway.. there is version 2.4 with signature checks which will allow you to play and install unassigned .cia (3ds games), you can play almost all games on your 3ds on your region, and the only missing feature of rxtools is region free. but the original dev already updated rx tools 2.5.2 and made it region free! but removed the signature checks.. what we are waiting right now is for someone who can patch the 2.5.2 version so that we can have signature checks + region free + emunand+ updated emunand 9.8 + eshop access = perfect cfw, dont buy expensive gateway or sky3ds as its a matter of time the 3ds will be fully cracked without a flashcart

6. SirByte

SirByte GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    I am using the "MSET" version of PastaCFW, installed on a 2nd SD card. That's what I use for GBA and DSiWare. All I have to do is swap out the SD cards (32GB for GW / EmuNAND, 4 GB for PastaCFW) and don't have to touch my 'DS profile' that's installed. RxTools uses its own installer so if you want to switch back to GW, you have to install the GW exploit first, then when you want to use rxTools, install their DS Profile installer. Too much of a hassle given that GBA and DSiWare need to be installed on SysNAND anyway.

7. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Mainly dsiware and native gba playback. Also, savdatafiler access to carts.
    Not having to have a drm cart plugged in all the time.

There's also quite a few other non-piracy features that cfw's like rxtools have, like injection, decryption, etc.

8. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 20, 2007
    he already said that he has the gateway, rxtool is nice if you dont have a new 3ds, besides that, if you have a gateway still is a far better option as cfw atm

9. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    Gba games :)

10. Ericss

Ericss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2010
    United States
    So no N3DS support and less features (besides GBA/DSiware) = better?

11. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    Less features? As far as I can tell rxtools does more than GW at least for the O3DS. As for the N3DS it's just a matter of time since the project is open source.

12. Ericss

Ericss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2010
    United States
    Okay, rx has more dumping and ripping features, but it pales by comparison in terms of game loading. AFAIK it doesn't support .3ds files, region free, fw spoofing, NTR CFW, or NVRAM downgrading.

Last edited by Ericss, Jun 28, 2015
  13. guitarheroknight

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    It does support region free and it doesnt need spoofing since it has the latest emunand ;)

14. froggestspirit

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    Let's put it this way, the only feature you really lose is playing .3ds files (but that's worth it to not need the gateway cart in the slot)

15. Ericss

Ericss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2010
    United States
    It does? Huh. I stand corrected, then. Anyway, you might want to add that to the feature list in the rxTools thread, Roxas75.
    What if you want to keep your emuNAND on <=9.2 for Ninjhax support? :P

16. Smiths

Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest

Feb 24, 2003
    United States
    The land of Dairy Queen
    if you o3DS and have a Gateway already don't break what ain't broken.

keeping a "DRM Dongle" in a slot isn't a deal breaker for me since I don't have anything else to put in that slot. So it just stays in there with ah microSD card loaded with 3DS games that i just hit "Select" and choose and play. blah blah injection blah blah decryption blah blah some gba support.... i just play the 3ds games on 3ds with gateway and it works better than anything else for that.

Celebrimbor360 and Vengenceonu like this.
  17. clank

clank Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2015
    Nah, signature checks are patched on official rxTools 2.5.2. He means disabled in that signature checks are ignored, thus allowing unsigned cias to be installed and played.
    The main advantage would be not needing your DRM cartridge in the back of your 3DS, which will improve your battery usage.

18. Blueie

Blueie GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2013
    Argentina
    From my experience, region free in RxTools seems to be limited. I believe it supports region free games, but not DLC. And I don't mean DLC from a different region than the game; I installed a game from a different region than that of my system and emunand, and DLC that matches the game's region; the game ran fine, but I couldn't get it to detect the DLC installed. When I ran the same emunand with GW, the DLC worked without issues.

Roxas75: Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Blueie, Jun 28, 2015
  19. clank

clank Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2015
    I think you're right. Regionfree as of now is not too well implemented, but Roxas will surely work on it.

20. guitarheroknight

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    Why would you need Ninjhax when you have a CFW? :wacko: