Homebrew Advantages of 3dsx over cia

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I think (dont quote me!) that .3dsx files have more ram. I think smea said that on twitter once.
Also, for 3dsx you do not need any kernel exploits. CIA require some sort of kernel hack to launch.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can run them with the homebrew launcher. That's about the only difference, I believe.

You can also say they are safer, because, well, they ain't being installed to anything.

Reactions: HaloEffect17

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
The biggest advantage is they can run without sigpatches which makes them ideal for entrypoints. Its because of this fact that it's the only option for people on the latest firmware.

They don't need to be installed as well which is convenient.

Last edited by zoogie, , Reason: clarify
Reactions: R4ismychildhood

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How? Keeping in mind I'm talking about homebrew, not system titles.
The above answer is correct, but I was thinking about how games in CIA format are much larger than what you said the maximum size was. But it turns out you mean homebrew, so disregard my response.

Mikemk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The above answer is correct, but I was thinking about how games in CIA format are much larger than what you said the maximum size was. But it turns out you mean homebrew, so disregard my response.
I think you're talking about file size and I'm taking about RAM usage.

CIAs arent limited to Ram that the Entrypoint had access to. in terms of Emulators this ment Dynarec as well.
They are (correct me if wrong) limited to the RAM capacity specified in their header, which has a max of 176MB

TheCruel

Developer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3dsx cannot use more RAM. It's the opposite.

Some advantages:

- Use DSP without dumping a bin.

- Runs without CFW.

- Can utilize pseudo-services and things implemented in payload (see: screenshots and HANS), although CIA users have NTR with plugins...

- Easier installation and no title count limitation

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They are (correct me if wrong) limited to the RAM capacity specified in their header, which has a max of 176MB
Damn I completely misread your post. Sorry, I was lost for a little while. :rofl2:

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can run them with the homebrew launcher. That's about the only difference, I believe.

You can also say they are safer, because, well, they ain't being installed to anything.
Exactly this. That's why they say that using a homebrew exploit doesn't have the capacity to brick; it's not messing with the NAND or anything.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Careful now. A homebrew to run needs to fit in RAM entirely. So file size is a direct hit for ram usage. The two maximums mentioned (96 and 176 MB) are actually also limiting payload size. This is a thing to keep present specially for homebrew games where assets are usually compiled into the homebrew instead of dinamically loaded from SD.

Last edited by Urbanshadow,

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Even those with a CFW can see an advantage in the .3dsx format if they are devs: you can test your .3dsx file without sending it yourself with 3dslink. Just launch the HBL on your 3DS, press Y, type "3dslink Undertone.3dsx" and the Undertone.3dsx is automatically transferred and launched without you having to get any SD card out or using any FTP software, as long as your PC and 3DS are on the same WiFi network.
Useful for quick testing. But obviously a cia as a release isn't a bad idea.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Even those with a CFW can see an advantage in the .3dsx format if they are devs: you can test your .3dsx file without sending it yourself with 3dslink. Just launch the HBL on your 3DS, press Y, type "3dslink Undertone.3dsx" and the Undertone.3dsx is automatically transferred and launched without you having to get any SD card out or using any FTP software, as long as your PC and 3DS are on the same WiFi network.
Useful for quick testing. But obviously a cia as a release isn't a bad idea.

Yep, for payloads lower than 15 MB this method is great for testing.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can run them through homebrew launcher, which means you don't need a CFW. Otherwise, they suck. They don't use as much RAM/resources, so most of the homebrews are simple or lack features. As well emulators run like complete shit and often sound becomes a huge issue.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse