Homebrew Advanced badge editor - Create your own badges and sets easily!

Should I make a video explaining and showing everything to make badges and sets?

• Yes!

Votes: 54 66.7%
  • Nah, the 425326463456 paragraphs you wrote on how to do everything explain it all!

Votes: 27 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AntiMach

OP
Trophies
Website
mach.bot.nu
XP
Country
Portugal
Advanced badge editor thumb finish.png

Preview 8.png

Advanced Badge Editor

This tool gives you more versatility to edit badge data, allowing for the creation of pixel badges, and entire sets.

If you just want badges right away, use GYTB. Its easier to use, and gets the job done pretty well.

Features
  • Create badges and sets.
  • Edit badge and set information (IDs, quantities, names, etc...)
  • "Max out" badge quantities with a single button.
  • Import images to on to badges and sets.
  • "Pixel Badge Import Mode" for pixel art badges.
  • Title ID links.
  • Change badge data NNID.
  • Delete badges, sets or everything.
  • Import native badge arcade files (*.prb and *.cab)
  • Auto assign badge set IDs.
  • Create new badge data from 0.
Download is available here.

How to use it
  • Open existing data
    • File > Open Data
    • Select folder where BadgeData.dat and BadgeMngFile.dat are saved.
  • Create new data
    • File > New Data
    • Make sure to set the NNID!
  • Save data
    • File > Save Data
    • This will overwrite data if it was opened, and will ask a location to save the data if it was created.
  • Save data to
    • Same as save data, but always asks for a new location to save the data to.
  • Make a badge
    • Create new badge > Write name and quantity > Import image
    • Make sure the image is 64x64
  • Make a set
    • Create new set > Import image
    • If you get an error stating You don't have enough unique badges for a new set, then that means the last set only has one badge, and that badge is the last unique badge.
      • To fix this, create a new badge, and then create the new set
If you have any trouble with the app, please tell me what it is, so that I can help you.

If you see any error pop up, please report it to me through this thread with the text of the error.

Simple Badge Injector

This tool allows you to dump and inject badge data from and to your 3ds. It requires a modded 3ds.

Download and install
  • Download the CIA file from here.
  • Install it through FBI.

Using the app
  • Launch Simple Badge Injector
  • To dump all badge data:
    • Dump badge data
    • The data is saved on the SD card at /3ds/SimpleBadgeInjector/Dumped
  • To inject badge data:
    • Place your badge data inside /3ds/SimpleBadgeInjector
    • Create ExtData archive 0x14D1 > Inject custom badge data
  • To delete badge data:
    • Delect ExtData archive 0x14D1

Hacky homebrew fix

If for any reason you're using the 3dsx version of Simple Badge Injector, if at any point it fails to dump or inject badge data, go back to the homebrew launcher through the Exit app option, take your SD card out, put it back in, and finally, relaunch the app. This should fix that.

Miscellaneous Tips

Restore your official badge data

To restore official badge data, just open Nintendo Badge Arcade and wait until the last moment it fails to load. After that, your data should have been restored. Do this before Nintendo's servers are shut down!

Get any official badges

Follow this guide

Acknowledgements

Deprecated / Not needed anymore

Research

Tools

Credits
  • AntiMach
  • redunka

Features
  • Edit badge and set information such as IDs, quantities and names.
  • Create new badges and new sets!
  • Get 255 of each badge with a single click of a button.
  • Has a nice interface =P
  • A simple way of importing and exporting images, as well as a preview of each!
  • "Pixel Badge Import Mode", which allows the user to import Pixel like badges without suffering from imperfections when downscaling to 32x32px.
  • Support for badges with linked Title IDs.
  • Change your NNID with ease!
  • Delete badges, sets or everything with the click of a button!
  • Import badge and set files! (*.prb, *.cab)
  • "Fix" the badges' set IDs. (sets the badges' set IDs to the respective set ID)
  • [NEW] Create new badge data and save it to a new location!
You can download this application here.

How to use it
  • Open existing data: Click on the "File", and then the "Open data" options in the menu toolbar. On the new window that popped up, make sure to select a directory (folder) that contains "BadgeData.dat" file and the "BadgeMngFile.dat".
  • Create new data: Click on the "File", and then the "New data" options in the menu toolbar. Make whatever you want, and set the NNID number to yours if you want it to work. (read down bellow to know how to do that)
  • Save data: Click on the "File", and then the "Save data" options in the menu toolbar. If you opened data, this will overwrite the old data. If you created new data, then it will ask you to save it to a folder
  • Save data to: Click on the "File", and then the "Save data to..." options in the menu toolbar. This will always ask you to save it to a folder

• Make a badge: Click the "Create new badge" button, and on the badge info, type in any name and any quantity.
    To add an image, make sure you import a 64x64px image by clicking the "Import image" button under the badge's preview.

• Make a set: Similar to making a badge, but now you will need to press the "Create new set" button. If it gives you an error saying that you don't have enough unique badges for a new set, then that means that last set only has one badge, and that badge is the last unique badge. To fix this, you can either create a new badge or change the Starting Badge of the last set to its value minus 1.
    To import an image, click on the "Import image" button under the set's preview. Make sure the size of the image you're importing is of 48x48px, not 64x64px.
If you have any trouble with the app, please tell me what it is, so that I can help you!

Setup "Simple Badge Injector"

This tool is used in the explanations bellow.
For Homebrew Launcher users
For CFW users
How to get your NNID number

• Load Homebrew Launcher with the exploit of your choice.
  • Launch the "Simple Badge Injector" application
    • If it fails to read the NNID, then make sure that you are using the latest *hax exploit version, and that you have internet.
  • The NNID should appear on the top screen.
For CFW users
  • The NNID should appear on the top screen
How to get the .dat files

• Once the app has loaded, select the "Dump badge data" option.
    • If the process fails, then go back to the homebrew launcher by selecting the "Exit" option, take your SD card out and put it back in. Launch the app and try again.
  • Once done, you can exit the application and exit Homebrew Launcher.
You should now have the .dat files inside a "Dumped Badge Files" folder on the root of your SD card.

For CFW users
  • Once the app has loaded, select the "Dump badge data" option.
  • Once done, you can exit the application.
You should now have the .dat files inside a "Dumped Badge Files" folder on the root of your SD card.

How to restore the .dat files

Setup
  • Create a folder on the root of your 3DS's SD card called "Badge Files".
  • Make sure that inside of that folder, you have the "BadgeData.dat" and "BadgeMngFile.dat" files that you want to inject!
  • Select the "Simple Badge Injector" app and launch it.
  • Next, select the "Inject custom badge data" option, and wait.
    • If the process fails, then go back to the homebrew launcher by pressing B, take your SD card out and put it back in. Launch the app and try again.
  • Once done, you can exit the application and exit Homebrew Launcher.
For CFW users
  • Once the app has loaded, select the "Inject custom badge data" option.
  • Once done, you can exit the application.
Create ExtData archive without Nintendo Badge Arcade

This will let you inject custom badge data without Nintendo Badge Arcade, just like GYTB
  • Select the "Simple Badge Injector" app and launch it.
  • Next, select the "Create ExtData archive 0x14D1" option, and wait.
    • NOTE: This might not work, I didn't test it with Homebrew Launcher
  • You should now be able to inject your own badge data and use badges without Nintendo Badge Arcade.
For CFW users
  • Once the app has loaded, select the "Create ExtData archive 0x14D1" option.
  • You should now be able to inject your own badge data and use badges without Nintendo Badge Arcade.
If you find any Exception, please take a screenshot of it by pressing "Alt + prt sc" on a desktop or "Alt + fn + insert" on a laptop, paste the screenshot into paint and save the image. You don't need to do it like that, but, it's a nice and simple way of doing it!

I have also included a few demo badges. Have fun with them =3

If you want to help develop the application, then here is the source code: https://github.com/TheMachinumps/Advanced-badge-editor

Links to other apps:
NOTE: The following applications are no longer needed, but feel free to check them out, as these used to be helpful and helped shape this app.
- Ohana3ds thread (by gdkchan): https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-ohana3ds-tool.392576/
- Png2bclim releases (by Kaphotics): https://github.com/kwsch/png2bclim/releases

Links to places that gave me information for making this a thing:
- https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Home_Menu#BadgeData.dat
- https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-badge-arcade-hacking-full-documentation-and-progress.403183/
- A bunch of https://stackoverflow.com posts on how to program in c#
- Some https://youtube.com videos that showed how to read Hex data (Binary Data) from any file and how to write those same files.
- Visual studio 2015 community: https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/community/

It turns out that I was wrong! What I made has indeed called for people's attention, so I guess it wasn't all in vain =D Thanks so much for the support!

Attachments

• Homebrew badges.zip
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,286
Last edited by AntiMach,

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good stuff, no doubt there are folk who'll be keen to use this.

While I prefer written instructions, youtube tutorials seem to be in high demand. So if you have time, a youtube tutorial will be appropriated by a lot of people.

Reactions: KoalaBoy

AntiMach

OP
Trophies
Website
mach.bot.nu
XP
Country
Portugal
Good stuff, no doubt there are folk who'll be keen to use this.

While I prefer written instructions, youtube tutorials seem to be in high demand. So if you have time, a youtube tutorial will be appropriated by a lot of people.

Thanks! :)
And, I guess I will need to make a video tutorial, just because it's easier for most people to understand, just like you said.

EDIT: I'm having trouble making a tutorial, because my camera isn't big enough to fit the entire 2ds and my computer hates when I record (It crashes a lot...)

Last edited by AntiMach,

AntiMach

OP
Trophies
Website
mach.bot.nu
XP
Country
Portugal
Meh, I don't know about making a video actually... I'm kinda lazy and I would just use subtitles. However, if someone knows how to do it and makes a video about it, I will put it on this thread with credit to that person.

AntiMach

OP
Trophies
Website
mach.bot.nu
XP
Country
Portugal
how to get my .dat files from my console?
First of all, you need either Homebrew or a CFW (which I am trying to get from reviving my brother's old 3ds that "died" 1-2 years ago, which should have a really old version)
Next, if you are using Homebrew, download this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-extdata-dump-and-restore-tool-extra-data-editing.378492/
You should now have a "extdata_dump.zip" file. Extract it to a folder that has the exact same name (without the .zip).
Inside the extdata_dump folder, you should have a "config.txt" file. Open it and delete everything, replacing with this:
Code:
; replace BadgeData and BadgeMngFile
RESTORE "BadgeData.dat" "000014d1:/BadgeData.dat"
RESTORE "BadgeMngFile.dat" "000014d1:/BadgeMngFile.dat"

; dump BadgeData and BadgeMngFile
DUMP "000014d1:/BadgeData.dat" "BadgeData.dat"
DUMP "000014d1:/BadgeMngFile.dat" "BadgeMngFile.dat"

Next, copy the folder and paste it inside the 3ds folder on your SD card.
Load Homebrew Launcher and select the extdata_dump option.
Then, inside extdata_dump application, select the second option, the "Dump extdata specified in config" option.
If you get any error, exit to the Homebrew launcher menu by pressing "b" on the app, take your sd card out, put it back in, open extdata_dump and exit, and finally, open the extdata_dump once again. Try dumping the data, and hope it works! (If it doesn't, then try re-booting your 3ds or ask @MrCheeze )
Put your SD card on your computer and inside the extdata_dump folder, you should now have 2 files, BadgeData.dat and BadgeMngFile.dat. You can open the files directly from your SD card on the app by opening the "extdata_dump" folder, which should have your badges.
To restore the edited data, on your 3ds, load Homebrew launcher and then extdata_dump, select the last option, the "Restore extdata specified in config" and you should be fine! If you get any errors, try using the trick above.

I'm pretty sure this works on the newest firmwares (I'm using 11.2.0 with the 2.7 *hax exploit using Paper Mario Sticker Star and it works just fine)

painchild

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
First of all, you need either Homebrew or a CFW (which I am trying to get from reviving my brother's old 3ds that "died" 1-2 years ago, which should have a really old version)
I am running latest Luma+a9lh and I don't think I have access to *hax to load hbl

EDIT: got it done with FBI

Last edited by painchild,

AntiMach

OP
Trophies
Website
mach.bot.nu
XP
Country
Portugal
Just for the record, this also works in mono (good if one is a Linux/Mac user!)
Kinda confused on what you mean about that...

does this means we can unlock the badges without really paying the badge arcade?
"Well uh technically uh, nah..."
Well, I know of a way to get 1000 legit badges, but that would require some hex editing... You can check this video:

However, I don't think that the link to download the save files actually work, so, download it from here instead: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dz2uqji86vijbt3/badge.rar?dl=1

If you want to get badges legit, you can try the practice arcade to possibly get free plays, or wait until new events appear.

Last edited by AntiMach,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off...