Adulthood and postmodern confusion

rest0re

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hello guys!

I used to think about how everything was so black and white for me couple years ago. I was kinda leftist (omg, i know you all
hate commies and stuff) but nowadays I'm not sure. Nowadays when I think about for example things i used to be pro and thought
that I'd never think against... Well I have changed, so I don't think everything so black and white. For example piratism and such
stuff, I thought I'd is my right to fuck up software companies. Now when some of my friends are working with games, I feel like
I dont wanna fuck up their life and rather buy game than pirate it. I also used to believe that everything would go better if i would
vote for example green party or something. It seems nothing really changed in society, all the same. Even things that I used to
be like pro "smash the state" and "house squatting". Well now I feel like it's just waste of time. Yes I was thinking like hippies
sometimes, but I nowadays I just feel like everything is going to be bad and I can't do anything to change it. I'll be corporate
whore and my kids will hate me for what I did for world. I just don't feel like "spirit" of anarchism. So what if bunch of jobless
guys go drinking out and talk about "destroying society". They are just bunch of lazy fucks, they will never do it. Or if some young
girls lets some animals out of their cages that they won't end up furcoat, so what? It won't change anything, if they don't do it here
they do it in china. So what... it's not black and white anymore for me. And I hate that feeling when I know there is no absolute
right or wrong. Even if i buy Fair Trade Coffee, it's "so what" It will be transported here with aeroplane and it will destroy as much
enviroment as normal coffee... so. I'm stuck in postmodern confusion. I dont know what I will turn into, but I dont know if my old
self would loved it...

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
piracy supports communists in a section of china that is going toward capitalism. these people do not make much money per month, but if they pirate and sell hardware/software they make quite a considerable amount more than those who just have regular jobs in china. piracy supports a lot of different things that you may or may not believe in. our president is trying to put an end to the piracy in china because it is a form of terrorism and is anti-american. so you just have to figure out what you want to do. most of us have the idea in our head that we want to most benefit ourselves but without harming other people to a great extent. so when you pirate something, you don't see the outcome and actually if you pirate some stuff and it doesn't really spread beyond you, you aren't really causing any kind of justifiable harm. you can support those who you want and there is nothing wrong with that. I, myself, find it difficult to assume pirating a copy of metal slug advance when you can buy it for $35 off buy.com and promote SNK/Playmore to develop more titles similar to this. But also there's bigger companies with titles that sell more and those can slide a little bit, they sell tens of millions of those to people who don't even know what an R4 or an M3 is anyway. Not that it is right, it's just a way to justify saving the money in the bank. Most people that own games legit do not own more than 16 games per system, so if one goes from owning 16 games to a modchip then owns like 50 games, of which 44 are pirated, not much has really changed there. This is a haphazard way of trying to justify piracy, but I've seen it happen this way a lot. Parents buying their kids a copy of mario don't have the time to research which is the best cart and how to transfer files and where to acquire pirated material, so they contribute greatly to the gaming community by supporting the software developers.

I agree with you on pretty much everything here especially the anarchy part. It's cool to be young and draw all these anarchy symbols, go in a mosh pit, clown around and all that. It really doesn't harm anyone at all and it's just all in fun. Most times, there isn't anything malicious intended by the common high school teenager in doing this stuff. They just want to party, that's all. One of the biggest failings of anarchy is it generally is not organized, so it doesn't really happen.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Welcome to the wonderful world of cynicism, my brother!
It's not a bad thing, and it's based on collected observations. Empirical data rules!
When you're young, you have a limited data set to draw from, as you age, you expand it.
When you see the same outcome over and over again, you tend to form a rule or axiom. You tend to take it for granted that, say, when a teenager says their movement will save the world, it probably won't. After all, the hippies didn't do it, the punks didn't do it, etc... That's not to say that groups can't effect change, they can and do, but it all balances out in the end, and we end up traversing the same road pretty much. Liberals have their conservatives to cancel them out, and even if one moves ahead for a while, the other will catch up. There's always a chance that from "yet another movement" an avatar will spring, and actually change things in a big way, it's just that it's more likely that one won't.

I still feel like my ideals are intact, even though my expectations have diminished.

rest0re

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Welcome to the wonderful world of cynicism, my brother!
It's not a bad thing, and it's based on collected observations. Empirical data rules!
When you're young, you have a limited data set to draw from, as you age, you expand it.
When you see the same outcome over and over again, you tend to form a rule or axiom. You tend to take it for granted that, say, when a teenager says their movement will save the world, it probably won't. After all, the hippies didn't do it, the punks didn't do it, etc... That's not to say that groups can't effect change, they can and do, but it all balances out in the end, and we end up traversing the same road pretty much. Liberals have their conservatives to cancel them out, and even if one moves ahead for a while, the other will catch up. There's always a chance that from "yet another movement" an avatar will spring, and actually change things in a big way, it's just that it's more likely that one won't.

I still feel like my ideals are intact, even though my expectations have diminished.
thanks man. i feel totally same... ideals are there, but i dont think i will ever see much or any change.

rest0re

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
piracy supports communists in a section of china that is going toward capitalism. these people do not make much money per month, but if they pirate and sell hardware/software they make quite a considerable amount more than those who just have regular jobs in china. piracy supports a lot of different things that you may or may not believe in. our president is trying to put an end to the piracy in china because it is a form of terrorism and is anti-american. so you just have to figure out what you want to do. most of us have the idea in our head that we want to most benefit ourselves but without harming other people to a great extent. so when you pirate something, you don't see the outcome and actually if you pirate some stuff and it doesn't really spread beyond you, you aren't really causing any kind of justifiable harm. you can support those who you want and there is nothing wrong with that. I, myself, find it difficult to assume pirating a copy of metal slug advance when you can buy it for $35 off buy.com and promote SNK/Playmore to develop more titles similar to this. But also there's bigger companies with titles that sell more and those can slide a little bit, they sell tens of millions of those to people who don't even know what an R4 or an M3 is anyway. Not that it is right, it's just a way to justify saving the money in the bank. Most people that own games legit do not own more than 16 games per system, so if one goes from owning 16 games to a modchip then owns like 50 games, of which 44 are pirated, not much has really changed there. This is a haphazard way of trying to justify piracy, but I've seen it happen this way a lot. Parents buying their kids a copy of mario don't have the time to research which is the best cart and how to transfer files and where to acquire pirated material, so they contribute greatly to the gaming community by supporting the software developers.
so is drug dealing helping china going toward capitalism, but is it right? these people wont make much, yes its true. did you know that people are forced to work in china. they are brutally forced to work in factories and if they dont work, they are
beaten to dead. so that is really reason what is behind economic growth in china. buying some poor families kids and make
them work for you underpaid and only get cup of rice everyday.
lets do little comparision, there is 10 games developed by ea. 1 game that is sportgame nhl or such will profit 9 other games too. so if i pirate some less known title from ea its also off from developers. and if i just go pirate some title from small
developer only title, its almost like going their home and taking smelly dump in middle of their living room. well not but equally
as nice act. anyway, i told one of my friend that worked in one game that i got pirate copy of it, he got really mad at me
and explained that he had to work often late (not paid) for fixing bugs and physics engine and also it was really hard to get
game published, most of guys had to live off for wellfare for a while coz they wasnt sure that they get license to get game
published because it was only game that they had then. the team had 20 guys working for game, and bigger companies like
ea has 100 guys working for one game, most of them are just working for press/publicity and stuff. so its not like you are
fucking some jobless teenager programming at basement like in 80's. dunno.. its just not black and white anymore.

Foie

That one guy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Those who work in Chinese factories get paid squat. From my relative's personal experience, the workers at one of the factrories were being paid about $0.30 an hour. And that was one of the better paying factory jobs.

However, I don't think they are forced to work. There are so many people in China, and they all HAVE to have a job. Any job. And the only jobs available are the crappy factory jobs where they get paid next to nothing.

Well, I just wanted to share some info on that subject.

rest0re

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Those who work in Chinese factories get paid squat. From my relative's personal experience, the workers at one of the factrories were being paid about $0.30 an hour. And that was one of the better paying factory jobs.Â

However, I don't think they are forced to work. There are so many people in China, and they all HAVE to have a job. Any job. And the only jobs available are the crappy factory jobs where they get paid next to nothing.Â

Well, I just wanted to share some info on that subject.
well.. this is what i heard. that some families with no income sell their kids to factories and i'm pretty sure that it happends as
bad as it sounds, its the truth.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
grog.gif

I kinda wish my eyes didn't open until after highschool though..
don't really have anything more to say

rest0re

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
just wanna clear this out.. what i understood from my friend, game industry is still not "stable business". they just do it coz they love games... its not like every freaking programmer/graphic designer/music composer is millioinare. they just love games.

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
the whole communism/terrorism piracy thing is a joke... really hope your not serious

Its not different to buying hydro plant gear or buying stuff from a XXX shop in the western world, shady/mafia type people get the money
What they do with the money, could be anything and everything

rest0re

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
the whole communism/terrorism piracy thing is a joke... really hope your not serious

Its not different to buying hydro plant gear or buying stuff from a XXX shop in the western world, shady/mafia type people get the money
What they do with the money, could be anything and everything
Sorry my native language is not english? I think I was serious, but i didnt understand your sentences..

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
The best way to go is individualism.
Piracy? Fuck the games developers. I'm pirated too, and I'm not crying.
Communism, capitalism, all these words mean the same thing : at the top, the mafia called "government" fucks you in the ass. You expect me to feel sorry for chinese kids who manufacture DSLites? Sure then, let's all boycott the DSL. Oh wait, nobody's doing it.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The world is more vast and dynamic than anyone can imagine alone. It's not going get any easier to understand. Start investigating your conclusions and start investigating the scope and quality of your logic. Get out there! It's all work, work, work...

stutte

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just wanna clear this out.. what i understood from my friend, game industry is still not "stable business". they just do it coz they love games... its not like every freaking programmer/graphic designer/music composer is millioinare. they just love games.

I don't develop games JUST because I love games, I have a talent and the game industry is my outlet. I also have a wife and 2 children who depend on me to bring in a decent income. There are many folks in the industry who couldn't care less about games in general and are just working in the industry because it's a good paycheck. The game industry is no more stable that any other business out there, it just depends on how the particular studio is being run.

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I also used to believe that everything would go better if i would
vote for example green party or something. It seems nothing really changed in society, all the same.Coming to terms with your insignificance, eh? You've got to love the fact that your vote doesn't make a difference, but such is the nature of democracy, we're all equally unimportant (unless you're wealthy of course, but that's another matter).

Or if some young
girls lets some animals out of their cages that they won't end up furcoat, so what? It won't change anything, if they don't do it here
they do it in china.I don't understand that, that's like saying why give to charity if you can only save a few lives, surely it's better than nothing?

Even if i buy Fair Trade Coffee, it's "so what" It will be transported here with aeroplane and it will destroy as much
enviroment as normal coffee
unsure.gif
Wikipedia said:
Fair trade's strategic intent is to deliberately work with marginalised producers and workers in order to help them move from a position of vulnerability to security and economic self-sufficiency. It also aims at empowering them to become stakeholders in their own organizations and actively play a wider role in the global arena to achieve greater equity in international trade.
Last time I checked fair trade was meant to benefit the impoverished farmers/producers by giving them a bigger slice of the profits, not caring for the environment.

QUOTE(rest0re @ Aug 25 2007, 09:17 AM)
did you know that people are forced to work in china. they are brutally forced to work in factories and if they dont work, they are
beaten to dead. so that is really reason what is behind economic growth in china. buying some poor families kids and make
This is the last thing, I promise, but what the fuck? I know the working situation in China is awful for the majority, but I've never seen anybody come out with that before.

rest0re

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

I don't develop games JUST because I love games, I have a talent and the game industry is my outlet. I also have a wife and 2 children who depend on me to bring in a decent income. There are many folks in the industry who couldn't care less about games in general and are just working in the industry because it's a good paycheck. The game industry is no more stable that any other business out there, it just depends on how the particular studio is being run.
well its different here in finland. just so you know. my friend had lots of shit until they even got their game into shelves and into steam...

rest0re

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I also used to believe that everything would go better if i would
vote for example green party or something. It seems nothing really changed in society, all the same.
Coming to terms with your insignificance, eh? You've got to love the fact that your vote doesn't make a difference, but such is the nature of democracy, we're all equally unimportant (unless you're wealthy of course, but that's another matter).
Or if some young
they do it in china.
I don't understand that, that's like saying why give to charity if you can only save a few lives, surely it's better than nothing?
Even if i buy Fair Trade Coffee, it's "so what" It will be transported here with aeroplane and it will destroy as much
enviroment as normal coffee
unsure.gif
Wikipedia said:
Fair trade's strategic intent is to deliberately work with marginalised producers and workers in order to help them move from a position of vulnerability to security and economic self-sufficiency. It also aims at empowering them to become stakeholders in their own organizations and actively play a wider role in the global arena to achieve greater equity in international trade.
Last time I checked fair trade was meant to benefit the impoverished farmers/producers by giving them a bigger slice of the profits, not caring for the environment.
did you know that people are forced to work in china. they are brutally forced to work in factories and if they dont work, they are
This is the last thing, I promise, but what the fuck? I know the working situation in China is awful for the majority, but I've never seen anybody come out with that before.
1) about voting.. well i feeling i have no power on anything. i just could vote empty or nothing
2) about letting animals out of cage. well they save few lives, but farmers loose their income. even if i hate what they do, these
guys support our economy. if this action is banned then they have go somewhere else. so it will be still happening, like drug
use. drugs are banned and they are still used everywhere.
3) about fair trade coffee, ofcourse its nice that they get bigger share, but it's damaging to enviroment. that i was just thinking
4) well that china thing i heard, i read somewhere that they only forced 1000 people work in 70's but nowadays amount of
people forced to work is many more. i don't know, i don't have any sources about this info.. i need to dig you sources.

RayorDragonFall

I see you've played knifey-spoony before.
Trophies
XP
Country
Look restore, maybe this is because I'm a teenager but whatever:
The way your looking at things is with an attitude of you can't do anything. Yes, maybe what you can do is very little, but big things don't happen on their own. And if you don't see a difference, don't blame other people, blame yourself first for not doing anything about it, maybe THEN you can say, well the people that are richer/more powerfull aren't doing anything.

About stuff like votes, maybe you think your vote doesn't make a difference, but the choice is done by counting ALL the votes. Yeah, maybe the percent that is up to you so is so little it doesn't really matter, but no matter how small it is, it's still there. I'm not kidding myself, I don't believe in politics anyway, but I do respect part of it. People died for me to be able to vote. And even though I'm not patriotic, and I don't give that much of a shit, I'd just do it because it's the right thing to do.

Even though I don't know how to classify myself, I don't know if I'm liberal, anarchist or whatever. I'm not a perfect person, I do piracy and wouldn't hesitate to rip off big companies for my profit. But I'm determined to make a difference. I'm not going to just sit around and blame things on people that are more powerfull than me, I'm going to try to help people. I want to change things for the better and I'll give it everything I have. Yeah, for all you pessimistic guys out there: I am just a 15 year old, but I've lived my share and here I am, I challenge you to have more will than me, more will to never give up no matter what. I'll probably won't be able to stop hunger, or anything as huge, but if I can say I helped things, that I was able to at least make 1 other person happy then thats it. I made my goal, I changed things for another human being. Maybe when I grow up I won't be rich, but I like to think that if I work hard and I'm skillfull I can have a chance to be successful.

After all this, I don't see black and white, even though I am sort of stubborn:The only thing that stopped me from loosing myself when I was bullied into being something different was believing that what I am is right. I've had hard times when I didn't have self esteem, or any confidence in myself at all. I lost opportunities in life because I didn't think I was good enough for them. Thinking that I didn't matter was what brought me down, and thats what you are talking about now. If things were just black and white, we wouldn't be able to adapt and be flexible, so life would be the same. There's too many different variables for it to be logical.

So for all you people that say: "Lifes a bitch and then you die" well... *shakes fist*.
Amy

pootman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The governments need your defeatism to help prevent radical change.

"I'd vote Green, but what's the point? They'll never win. There's no point in voting"

Google your country's election turnout figures.

Here in the UK, at the last general election, approximately 60% of the population turned up and voted. Well Hurrah and fucking Huzzah! Our government only needed the approval of 30% of the population to take control of our country. That is absolutely fucking brilliant. Democracy is truly an incredible thing.

So wear your postmodern badge of fashionable ennui, wear it, be bloody well proud of it, and as long as you're wearing it, drop your trousers, bend over, and prepare for a lifetime of being shafted by the minority.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not"
- Dr Suess, The Lorax

*pushes past Amy, shaking her fist, to give you a bloody good kicking*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it