Ads keep requesting username and password.

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Meteor7, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Meteor7
    OP

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    http://i.imgur.com/yD6QL4H.png

It's only happening for this site and it looks like it's being done through google ads. I'd get in touch with google real quick, because this definitely seems malicious. Has this been happening to anyone else?

2. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Yeah paying an external company to reset your domain password via AD sounds like a great, plausible idea.

Just as a thought try clearing your cache in case it's something local. Ctrl+shift+delete on most browsers and "cached images/data and files" in most browsers, from the earliest date it allows (or since ever). Then see if it happens still. I've got ads enabled as well and have not seen that ever happen so I'm not entirely certain it can't be a local issue.

@Costello any thoughts after having said that?

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  3. Meteor7
    OP

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    Yep, it's still happening. I've encountered it roughly 8 times now, and only on this site.
    Edit: Oh, sorry, I should say that I cleared my cache.

Last edited by Meteor7, Jun 22, 2016
  4. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    Apparently Google Ads are getting some ads with malicious Javascript, the ads itself seems fine but they inject a malicious Javascript that opens a pop-up, according to what I have seen here, it's happening in a bunch of trustworthy sites.

5. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Ahahahaha! That's pretty damn funny, but it makes me sad at the same time, because I know a lot of people probably did fall for it. Just download Ublock?

6. Meteor7
    OP

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    Less funny, more worrying. What privileges would something like this have? I'm guessing a pop-up is its limit, but...
    Also, I just straight disabled Javascript in my browser until this thing gets sorted.

7. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    That's a bit worrying. I haven't seen it before myself. Make sure you have some sort of malware filter set up (I'm just using Ad Block Plus's malware filter, not actually using it for ads) and clear your cache. If you're on Windows, there's plenty of active scanners you can choose from.

8. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    doesn't necessarily have to be on google ads side?
    you could have malware on your PC that hijacks the IP address of Google ads to a different IP, or something...
    sounds plausible especially if you're the only one that this happens to (I know it hasn't happened to me)

9. Meteor7
    OP

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    That would be a real bummer. I can't get the message to come back (after re-enabling Java), but if it does, I'll continue trying to get it to appear on other pages. If it does, I might try disconnecting from the internet and try to get it to reappear. If it does even then, it'll pretty much prove that it was happening on my end.

EDIT: Alright, it's been a while and I haven't seen it once since. I'll update this if it happens again.

Last edited by Meteor7, Jun 22, 2016
  10. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Just in case, it might be a good idea to scan your PC with something like Malwarebytes.

11. Meteor7
    OP

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I've scanned with Windows Defender twice, do you think Malwarebytes would find something that it didn't?

12. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Probably. I can't remember a time when Windows Defender was considered that reliable. Then again, I haven't really kept up with Windows that well beyond what I need to know to work on the OSs.

13. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Depends. It's always good to have multiple options.

14. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Scan it with herdProtect, it uses a bunch of different anti-virus engines so that if one misses it hopefully a bunch will pick it up

15. Deck of Noobs

Deck of Noobs Politically Incorrect

Apr 9, 2016
    United States
    3ds.guide
    Adblock is a good idea as well

Jayro and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  16. Meteor7
    OP

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I just can't seem to get the thing to show up again. Shot WAY in the dark, but there's no way for spyware to be smart enough to hide itself after I posted about it, right? I mean, it would need a person on the other end monitoring it live, right? A quick googling of the issue turns up nothing, so I'm guessing it's out of the question that google found an issue with a shifty advertiser using their ad services and rooted them out.

So if spyware doesn't react like that, google didn't fix the problem themselves, the issue only showed up on this site, and now it's just gone seemingly permanently, what does all of that point to? I'm at a loss.

Also, I'd like to leave downloading extra anti-malware programs as a last resort, as I'm very paranoid of downloads in general.