wink.gif

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well, the staff need to do whatever they need to keep the site running.

but, to be honest, most users here are probably of the "tech savvy already have an adblocker installed" kind

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
UltraMagnus said:
well, the staff need to do whatever they need to keep the site running.

but, to be honest, most users here are probably of the "tech savvy already have an adblocker installed" kind
well i have adblock plus, and it doesn't block the ad we have to the right. but i don't mind at all

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's ways of setting conditional stuff on websites that detect Adblock and Adblock Plus. Some of them show in big obtrusive letters "please disable adblock" and some redirect you to a page telling you to remove it and some iframe you a goatse.

I think GBAtemp is running fine the way it is

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
The only time we'd NEED ads is to keep the site running, hosting contests isn't necessary (but if we have any spare funds from payment of keeping the site running then it can go towards things like that). Also, members that join staff do so in the knowledge that they'll gain no financial rewards. If they don't like it they're free to leave.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
dice said:
The only time we'd NEED ads is to keep the site running, hosting contests isn't necessary (but if we have any spare funds from payment of keeping the site running then it can go towards things like that). Also, members that join staff do so in the knowledge that they'll gain no financial rewards. If they don't like it they're free to leave.
Still if someone offered you money would you take it?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
No, I detest ads. Having Gbatemp as ad-free as possible would be the best choice if you were to ask me.

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
playallday said:
dice said:
Still if someone offered you money would you take it?
That's irrelevant. My point is that I chose to help the site without being paid. So I don't see how getting paid now would would influence my "commitment" to the site.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am fine with most Ad's except flash ones, those I can personally do without. What I think GBAtemp could use is a subscription service and the users who have it get something out of it. (What that something is I have no clue)

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Banger said:
I am fine with most Ad's except flash ones, those I can personally do without. What I think GBAtemp could use is a subscription service and the users who have it get something out of it. (What that something is I have no clue)
GBATemp Gold? nothnx.

Ad free is good for now, if the staff runs into financial problems they can ask for donations, if that fails, use ads as a last resort.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just say no to advertisements. I'm really tired of seeing ads in my face everywhere I go. I don't need them on my favorite website too.

I block all ads anyway (AdBlockPlus FTW!), so they would be pointless to exist since I (and most anyone else using FireFox and ABP) would never see them anyway.
tongue.gif

If GBAtemp WERE to start having ads though, they should ONLY be videogame related ads, not any other kind. And NONE of the annoying kind that make noise.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rayder said:
If GBAtemp WERE to start having ads though, they should ONLY be videogame related ads, not any other kind. And NONE of the annoying kind that make noise.
I think so too.

I don't want too many ads but just a few small ones here and there.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why do we need ads on the site when people have stuff for PrizeRebel, GamingLagoon, and whatever else in their signatures? That's all the advertising you'll ever need.

Seven

oh hell no
Trophies
Website
phantasme.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Doomsday Forte said:
Why do we need ads on the site when people have stuff for PrizeRebel, GamingLagoon, and whatever else in their signatures? That's all the advertising you'll ever need.
Yeah, really. And I usually block those.

Not that I'd block ads that actually help GBATemp, if those will ever come around. I wouldn't count on it.
biggrin.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GBAtemp already has ads on the portal and in the flashcart reviews. The money goes to keep the site running, and when there's some extra available it goes to things like the homebrew bounty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk