Adding Wii Points on Wii Shop to be Disabled Soon.

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
K6QMxT0jRtoOBTOGophoz38NOQ-wELEz.jpg

On March 26th, Wii Points will no longer be available to be purchased on the Wii Shop due to it closing next year. Make sure to buy them before it closes if anything is interesting.
Source: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/wii-points-addition-to-be-disabled

Last edited by SANIC,

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes sense to me. A lot more people had a Wii console in their home than those who had DSi. Not to mention the Wii Shop was also accessible on Wii U consoles.
Not really. Piracy and people moving on to not casual consoles made the Wii die out quick. Most people dropped the Wii after they got bored of the gimmick. It sold a lot but it was severely underpowered. The wii shop is dead an no one uses it.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, no matter how old I get, seeing these kinds of things makes me really sad. Can't believe it's been 11-12 years now. We all knew it was going to happen, but now that it's slowly nearing time for it to happen, feelings change. The Wii was a big part of my teenhood and seeing things get shut down for it makes me feel so old and brings back memories of all the times I spent playing the Wii. I'll always remember the awesome Mario hitting the blocks download progress animation of the Wii Shop Channel too. I thought it was the coolest thing back then. Wonder if somebody will create a server to access it after it shuts down. I know we still have another year, but that time will go fast. RIP Wii Shop Channel.

Last edited by Brian117,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm surprised it took them this long. The shop channel did have a couple neat things but was otherwise largely forgettable, so it probably won't be missed much.
When the Wii first came out though, I remember really liking Virtual Console. Nowadays I couldn't care less about VC on any console, I find it more convenient to play them on my laptop anyway. But back then, emulating N64 games on a PC didn't work as well as it does now, and I didn't have a good USB gamepad, so Virtual Console was the best way for me to play anything that used analog controls.
Man, no matter how old I get, seeing these kinds of things makes me really sad. Can't believe it's been 11-12 years now. We all knew it was going to happen, but now that it's slowly nearing time for it to happen, feelings change. The Wii was a big part of my teenhood and seeing things get shut down for it makes me feel so old and brings back memories of all the times I spent playing the Wii. I'll always remember the awesome Mario hitting the blocks download progress animation of the Wii Shop Channel too. I thought it was the coolest thing back then. Wonder if somebody will create a server to access it after it shuts down. I know we still have another year, but that time will go fast. RIP Wii Shop Channel.
That animation was pretty cool, but man was it useless. It was impossible to tell exactly where your download was at or even have anything more than a vague idea of how long it would take.
Also, hey Brian117 :P You should drop in to IRC more often.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised it took them this long. The shop channel did have a couple neat things but was otherwise largely forgettable, so it probably won't be missed much.
When the Wii first came out though, I remember really liking Virtual Console. Nowadays I couldn't care less about VC on any console, I find it more convenient to play them on my laptop anyway. But back then, emulating N64 games on a PC didn't work as well as it does now, and I didn't have a good USB gamepad, so Virtual Console was the best way for me to play anything that used analog controls.

That animation was pretty cool, but man was it useless. It was impossible to tell exactly where your download was at or even have anything more than a vague idea of how long it would take.
Okay, but everyone will miss the music. It's legendary.

Reactions: Brian117

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hey Jdbye! Long time no talk. I got rid of IRC entirely. Last time I was on it, it wasn't like how it used to be and nobody talked. I use Skype now though under another email. PM me your username again.

The animation was hard to tell where your download was yeah, but it was exciting and aggravating at the same time waiting for Mario to jump up to the last block haha. It'd be like..."Okay he's going to jump NOW..........NOW.......NOW". And as @SirNapkin1334 said, the music was always iconic. Once you heard it play, you knew you were going to be getting some good games straight to your Wii.

Reactions: SirNapkin1334

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome