adding dvd support

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Gh0sti, Sep 22, 2010.

Sep 22, 2010

adding dvd support by Gh0sti at 3:20 PM (1,553 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Gh0sti
    OP

Member Gh0sti iOS Guru

United States
    so i have a late 2009 wii, and im on 4.3, all hacked out, i know wiht newwer wiis i could not add dvdx, support, so question is how do i add it so that wiimc can use support

2. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    You don't. DVDX is replaced with AHBPORT. If you have HBC 1.0.7+ and the latest Wiimc it can support DVD on software level.

Problem is that newer Wii (those that came out after 12/2008) have uses a new disc drive that will not read DVD at all on hardware level. So you can never play DVD with them. Your only option is to buy an old drive and replace it.

3. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    You can do an external DVD-ROM with mixed results on WiiMC and MPlayerCE. Last time I tried, DVDs mounted fine but most CD-Rs (ISO9660/Joliet) choked because the Wii didn't know how to interpret the filesystem. So the majority of my Xvids were out. Compatibility has probably gone up in the meantime, though, and you can burn CD-Rs with UDF support in ImgBurn.

4. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Cannot guarantee on external DVD drive, but Wii's one will not work.

As a side note DVD uses a diameter 650nm of laser while CD uses 780 nm diameter of laser. Wii's DVD drives are special being that it cannot output 780nm diameter of laser, hence cannot read them.

Since OP bought his Wii on late 2009, it is almost certain that it comes with D3-2 drive. D3-2 drive will refuse to read DVD-/+R and CD-R even with AHBPORT or DVDX. Hence OP is out of luck unless he/she replaces the drive with an older one.

5. Lexip;

Member Lexip; GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You can use external DVD drives in WiiMC?

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Talk:WiiMC

6. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    Hmm, I guess I only tried it on MPlayerCE then. And lol, yes, I know the Wii drive won't read a CD-R. MPC would code-dump on trying to mount the ISO9660 from the external drive. Data DVDs worked ok, albeit with truncated filenames.