Hardware Adding a new USB port to the Switch. Is it possible?

fvig2001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hi.

So no one in my vicinity can fix the USB port of my switch. I brought it to a shop and they fixed the 2 power ICs but could not fix the USB port's data (too difficult for stores around here). The device is perma RCM mode through hekate. I've looked at the teensy hacks and saw they use the basic usb pins. Is it possible for me to like attach a micro USB port/cable that goes through the back? Also, where can I tap into the 5v as input for the new port? I've only seen 3V in the pin outs.

This is an extra switch that just got unlucky, so I am not against making it look a little bit d i why. Is there a way to like use a Teensy and be able to at least update the binary that's loaded if my actual switch USB port is fucked?

Thanks!

Last edited by fvig2001,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi.

So no one in my vicinity can fix the USB port of my switch. I brought it to a shop and they fixed the 2 power ICs but could not fix the USB port's data (too difficult for stores around here). The device is perma RCM mode through hekate. I've looked at the teensy hacks and saw they use the basic usb pins. Is it possible for me to like attach a micro USB port/cable that goes through the back? Also, where can I tap into the 5v as input for the new port? I've only seen 3V in the pin outs.

This is an extra switch that just got unlucky, so I am not against making it look a little bit d i why. Is there a way to like use a Teensy and be able to at least update the binary that's loaded if my actual switch USB port is fucked?

Thanks!

Don't think it is going to work, you probably going have to fix that usb c port or replace the motherboard.

Supplying voltage through a SAMD 21 Arm Microcontroller ( Trinket M0) aint going to solve your issue with the unit not being able to charge. The trinket m0 uses the 3.3v on the motherboard to power itself.

Pintglass

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Thanks!

Seems strange they could change ic’s but not the USB port

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Seems strange they could change ic’s but not the USB port
The USB port has 2 rows of pins one row is hidden underneath the port itself, it's impossible to see if it's soldered correctly and also makes it difficult to get the heat where it needs to be to solder the pins underneath. Someone with a lot of soldering experience should still be able to do it though, it's just a hassle. For someone less experienced, it would be a matter of trying and failing until it works. Still doable though.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

bootaholic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is tough to replace, for sure. Many online services will replace for you, do some searching around.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Exhausted but happy lol