Addiction? Or just pure pleasure.

Shinki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some people, such as I, play a game, World Of Warcraft. Many people think of this as an addiction, some people think they can get off whenever they want, i'd like to know your guys's opinion, Honestly, my opinion is that addiction is overrated.

PikaPika

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I play as well and I can say I am not addicted at all. I have played maybe 3 hours of it in the past 5 days. My buddy down the street from me, not so much.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just like alcohol, it varies from person to person.

1st year of college, the guy across the hall from my dorm room would do nothing but play wow. He'd go days without going to class and a few hours of sleep to play... However I do know people who play it during their spare time, and it doesn't affect their lives at all.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That kid that saved himself from a moose attack by using a WoW move - addicted. People die in from of their PCs playing MMOs because they don't eat or drink anything for days. Many people are addicted to them, and they are being marketed to 12 year olds.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That kid that saved himself from a moose attack by using a WoW move - addicted. People die in from of their PCs playing MMOs because they don't eat or drink anything for days. Many people are addicted to them, and they are being marketed to 12 year olds.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TBH, I find games like WoW are overrated. I'm not saying that they suck or anything, I played a couple and found it not to be that bad. But wasting money on something that's not even in real life that can suck you in and turn you into a brain-dead zombie is just pointless.

Shinki, I know you at school. You come super-tired and blame something else, but we all know that you've played WoW a little too much. Once you forgot to do homework because, of course, you played WoW.

I don't find people that play a couple of hours per day addicts, and people like you, Shinki, that only play a couple (okay, maybe more) hours. But wasting hard-earned money on a stupid video-game, missing important school stuff just for a game and wasting your life on this is in my opinion just wrong.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
TBH, I find games like WoW are overrated. I'm not saying that they suck or anything, I played a couple and found it not to be that bad. But wasting money on something that's not even in real life that can suck you in and turn you into a brain-dead zombie is just pointless.

Shinki, I know you at school. You come super-tired and blame something else, but we all know that you've played WoW a little too much. Once you forgot to do homework because, of course, you played WoW.

I don't find people that play a couple of hours per day addicts, and people like you, Shinki, that only play a couple (okay, maybe more) hours. But wasting hard-earned money on a stupid video-game, missing important school stuff just for a game and wasting your life on this is in my opinion just wrong.

Seconded.

Are games like WoW going to get you an education? No. Will they make you President of a big company? No. Will it pleasure you in erotic ways you never though of before? Maybe.

The point is, is that life is too short to be wasting on games like this. You'll play for months and months, spending a countless number of hours on "your character"... But for what? Nothing. Eventually you'll stop playing, and think 'What the hell did I do with all those hours, wasted on this game?', or maybe the server will go down, and you will lose your character data? Who knows. Either way, it's a waste of time, and a waste of life. Secluding yourself for hours to play a game with nobody else around except for those online is just nonsense.

Also, the fact that you pay to play this game monthly is deadly, because it basically locks you in to it. I know if I paid for a game, I wouldn't want to play anything else, mainly because I would want to get my money's worth from a game I PAY for. I don't think MMO's are healthy though because they are addicting to people to the point where it can become dangerous to your -- or someone else's -- health.

There are people who have dropped out of school for games like these... Trust me, you get nowhere, and it ain't worth it.

Addiction. Definitely.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Some people just can't control themselves, can't deny that.. some people really get addicted to those games.. but it's not the same for everyone.

I, for once, get bored really fast from MMORPGs.. tried to play 3 or 4.. gave up on all of them after 2 weeks.. i found them too pointless.. just killing things to get more money to be able to kill more things to get more money to.. you got the point..
tongue.gif

Anyway, I was told that WOW is not the same.. I wanted to play it just to see what the fuzz is all about, but don't have money for that
tongue.gif

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Addiction isn't really overrated
tongue.gif
It just means you need something to function or you're obsessed with something so much and you find it hard to stop.

WoW can be addicting, just like lots of other things. I never liked it but my brother spent WAY too much time on it.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Some people, such as I, play a game, World Of Warcraft. Many people think of this as an addiction, some people think they can get off whenever they want, i'd like to know your guys's opinion, Honestly, my opinion is that addiction is overrated.

Shinji?, are you OK?
That's NO SHINJI! Stone the impostor!

Good loadr!!!!!, it's.. it's, IT'S, NO , NOOOOOOOOO!!!

The AntiAntiVVoltz!!!!

Tun, tun tuuun!.

Wait crap, that would be me.
wacko.gif

Jaejae

Superfly Don't Used
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
I tried the trial, I was bored shitless, collect 6 Ruined pelts, collect 5 Wolf bones.
Fuck. So I went back to DotA.
Aparently it was because I picked a Dwarf Paladin, supposedly they are boring.
I've been thinking about trying it again, as a different class, especially since DotA 6.50b is a downgrade.

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I tried the trial, I was bored shitless, collect 6 Ruined pelts, collect 5 Wolf bones.
Fuck. So I went back to DotA.
Aparently it was because I picked a Dwarf Paladin, supposedly they are boring.
I've been thinking about trying it again, as a different class, especially since DotA 6.50b is a downgrade.

There's only one race that's bad-ass, "interesting and funny", wet-your-underwear awesome and "the real good guys" in WoW.

Click below for the answer.
[title:Answer]Robots.

dakeyras

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
Are games like WoW going to get you an education? No. Will they make you President of a big company? No. Will it pleasure you in erotic ways you never though of before? Maybe.

These are things you should inspire to be in life? Being a big hotshot at work? Egh. I'd rather farm Molten Core 50 times. Seriously. Life is for the living and you should do things you like. If you enjoy playing wow, why not? If you enjoy working your ass off, why not I suppose. But to say one is better than the other is just personal preference isn't it?
Yes, people drop out of school, but to say they would not have dropped out for another reason if they didn't play warcraft seems pushing it a little bit too far I think. If school was really important to them they would not drop out, and if it wasn't important to them warcraft is just as good an excuse as any other.

And no, I don't think addiction is overrated though sometimes the terminology is used to quickly and too often. I've done some work experience stuff at an addiction clinic. And you have people there, who have actually withdrawal symptoms from not being able to play solitaire. I'm talking about the windows version yes. You have people who wake up in cold sweat because they can't watch their channel that broadcasts those awful homesell programs. Hell, work can be an addiction! You can be seriously addicted to a LOT of things. But to say that someone is addicted, you'd need quite a few symptoms. Not an: 'but he plays warcraft.'

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol