Suggestion Add option to add tags to our thread

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Lglaplante, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Lglaplante
    OP

Lglaplante Pkmn Rom Hacker

Feb 12, 2017
    Canada
    Quebec
    This wasn’t proposed, so I’m proposing it
    Would it be possible to add an option to add tags to our thread before posting it ? (Or keywords)
    I think it would be a good feature because it would be easier to search for a thread in gbatemp or in google (since there are keywords, the thread will be more likely to show up)

2. Scarlet

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Don't prefixes do what you're asking here? You can display threads in a sub forum that match them.

upload_2018-10-4_12-54-46.

3. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 AyyMDionicio3

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    I mean if you name your title appropriately, it shows up in Google. I have found many threads like that

Lilith Valentine and ThoD like this.
  4. Lglaplante
    OP

Feb 12, 2017
    Canada
    Quebec
    There are many useful thread I couldn’t find unless I was getting the link/scrolling in the section were the post could be
    But if you need to type in correctly the thread name to get it to show it’s a bit of a pain sometimes

5. Lglaplante
    OP

Feb 12, 2017
    Canada
    Quebec
    I was more talking to add tags for general references, and to ease the process of searching a thread without knowing it’s exact name (more like a labeling system ? Or something just like in youtube were you add keywords so your video can be found if the keywords are there)

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    What you're suggesting would only be useful if average users actually decided to use useful tags in their thread...which, quite frankly, they won't do. If you can't find a particular thread based on your own search terms, why would tags would suddenly fix that? Especially considering the average user probably doesn't care, or will just put useless tags like "QUESTION" "SWITCH" "HELP PIRACY SWITCH PLS" etc etc

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    We had tags a while back (shortly before the jump to xenforo if memory serves). Nobody but the staff and a handful of regulars really tagged anything. Granted this would have been back when twatter was still a novelty, tags then mostly being a thing blog posters did, so maybe things have changed, given however how decent titles seem to be a big ask at times I am not holding out much hope.

Worse is you also have the legacy problem of all the old stuff not having anything. While there is a lot of ephemeral conversation there is also a huge amount of legacy stuff that will be valid for decades to come and it is a big part of the forums/site.

8. Lglaplante
    OP

Feb 12, 2017
    Canada
    Quebec
    Good point
    I guess this thread can be closed then, since it would not be as useful as I thought