Homebrew Add many more screen layout options in DS virtual console games

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I read most of the thread, but I miss a FULL explanation of how to install/replace that files, and how to do it exactly. I could search for that info in the whole thread, but why don't anyone write a little FAQ on how to implement the files exactly. There are several questions that I can not find an anwer to. Like: Do I really have to use an FTP to install this, or may I just insert the files on the WiiU itself, because most of the Games are saved in the NAND? Could anyone wirte a little "How to..." to it?

Yes, you need to use an FTP application. AFAIK there doesn't exist a homebrew application for managing files on the console itself, you can't access the Wii U's internal NAND storage from your computer and the Wii U USB format isn't readable if you unplugged it from the console to try to access on a computer. Your other option would be to load games from the SD card using Loadiine, in which case they will have been extracted and you can access / edit the files by plugging the SD card into your computer.

I have used FTPiiU Everywhere (vs FTPiiU, which cannot access the NAND or USB, only the SD card, so the only advantage is not having to shut down the console to eject the SD), but https://github.com/Laf111/WiiUFtpServer is better, as FTPiiU Everywhere has some problems with setting file permissions correctly.

AIUI the process will be the same for each. https://wiiubrew.org/wiki/FTPiiU describes the basics:

Download FTPiiU using the links above, and unzip the files inside to sd:/wiiu/apps/ftpiiu. You can also download it using the Homebrew App Store. Once this is complete, you will be able to see the program inside the Homebrew Launcher.

Once you launch the program, you will be given an IP Address and port to connect to. Use your favourite FTP client to do so.

Once you have opened the server application on the Wii U and connected to the address it shows with the FTP client on the computer, you can copy files between your computer and the various drives on the Wii U - the main ones you will need are storage_usb for games on an external hard disc, and storage_mlc for games on the NAND.

The page about whatever you're trying to edit will hopefully tell you which folder to look in e.g. saxoman1's post here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/new-to-wii-u-homebrew-a-question-about-virtual-consoles.465095/page-2

If you have a specific question, I am happy to try to answer it.

Reactions: ZipMartin and Windi

NecroNova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Say ive been trying to see if these layouts works and im having problems trying to do so.
So i looked at the first post and tried using a Loadiine Inject i made a while back to test this with, but when i tried it the game didn't boot. It just hung on a black screen. I did what the instructions were for Loadiine, just drop the "contents" folder into the Loadiine inject and then tried to boot it up into Loadiine GX2. But as said before, it just gives off a black screen.
Did i do something wrong or are some injects not compatible with these screen layouts?

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
This works great, thank you 👍
I wonder though, is it possible to add mic support? I believe Brain Age has mic support, I want it for Mario and Sonic Winter Olympics since the story mode has this one area where you need to remove a thwamp outta" the way

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
This works great 👍

I wonder though if it’s possible to add mic support, I believe Brain Age has mic support, because I need mic support for that one area in Mario and Sonic Winter Olympics where you need to remove a thwamp blocking the road.

Reactions: Nzoro

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This works great 👍

I wonder though if it’s possible to add mic support, I believe Brain Age has mic support, because I need mic support for that one area in Mario and Sonic Winter Olympics where you need to remove a thwamp blocking the road.
Guess I never realized that mic support by default isn't activated in all DS VC games. It's probably a real simple value that has to be set to 1 or on. I'll look into it in the next day or two when I have some free time.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a couple of unrelated questions but they are related to DS vc maybe you can shed some light on the matter...

So correct me if I’m wrong but I believe Super Princess Peach did release in the WiiU eshop (I can’t find the installer for it online for some reason) but whenever I try converting it I get a white screen of death, game freezes and soft locks the system, how did Nintendo circumvent that issue?

Another game I’d like to get working is Luxor Pharoe’s Challenge, it crashes at the game menu screen.

My other question is regarding save files, I managed to convert most of the saves I wanted to (with a lot of trial and error) yet some saves still don’t work, I was wondering is there a process to do it properly, maybe I can create a save state and replace it instead or would that not work?

Reactions: andreiarturo

vcrob11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to give a quick thank you this amazing upgrade to the ds screen layout choices! I don't use loadiine but after tinkering around I figured out how to get it to inject! I used UWUVCI AIO to create new injections for the unofficial vc games and then went to base game folder, I used mario kart ds as my base game for injections, and copied your files to that folder and created the new wup injection. It worked like a charm! Now I just need to figure out to copy all my saves for the old injections that don't have the upgraded screen layout choices.

Reactions: sonictopfan

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Just wanted to give a quick thank you this amazing upgrade to the ds screen layout choices! I don't use loadiine but after tinkering around I figured out how to get it to inject! I used UWUVCI AIO to create new injections for the unofficial vc games and then went to base game folder, I used mario kart ds as my base game for injections, and copied your files to that folder and created the new wup injection. It worked like a charm! Now I just need to figure out to copy all my saves for the old injections that don't have the upgraded screen layout choices.
Oh I agree, I was playing WarioWare Touched the other day and the official release feels inferior due to the lack of a proper duel screen option.

NecroNova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Say ive been trying to see if these layouts works and im having problems trying to do so.
So i looked at the first post and tried using a Loadiine Inject i made a while back to test this with, but when i tried it the game didn't boot. It just hung on a black screen. I did what the instructions were for Loadiine, just drop the "contents" folder into the Loadiine inject and then tried to boot it up into Loadiine GX2. But as said before, it just gives off a black screen.
Did i do something wrong or are some injects not compatible with these screen layouts?
Okay i hate to be that one person, but im still having problems so i thought i could ask again.
As mentioned in the quote, ive been having problems with getting games working with these new screen options, they all just lead into a black screen afterward. Unless Loadiine isnt usable, i have no idea what im doing wrong. Do i need to replace the entire folder (every except the rom.zip file) or do i need to put everything together from both content files?

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay i hate to be that one person, but im still having problems so i thought i could ask again.
As mentioned in the quote, ive been having problems with getting games working with these new screen options, they all just lead into a black screen afterward. Unless Loadiine isnt usable, i have no idea what im doing wrong. Do i need to replace the entire folder (every except the rom.zip file) or do i need to put everything together from both content files?
If you're loading the games with Loadiine, give them a minute or two to boot up, you'll be at a black screen for a short while before the game boots up.

NecroNova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're loading the games with Loadiine, give them a minute or two to boot up, you'll be at a black screen for a short while before the game boots up.
Well now the game boots up but it now locks up the console when it actually boots up at the "Nintendo" logo screen

CESARE09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
The file is not available, could you re-upload it please?
EDIT: Sorry, I just saw the files, my mistake. :rofl:

verypedro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Not sure if this is the right place to ask (probably not) but I've seen almost no discussion of this issue online.
Okamiden when injected has some issue with the touch screen. I don't know if that's something to fix as easy as messing around with the installation files or patching the rom would be necessary but I'd love to play Okamiden on the Wii U

MasterHoover

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bro, I just installed a huge NDS collection on my Wii U and I was a tad disappointed of the layout for some games. For some games, there were no decent layout, especially games where the top screen NEED to be on top of another, and the only option was holding the game pad sideways. I'm definitely gonna try your layouts.

I'm amazed that customizing the layout is something we can do. Thank you so much for sharing this, you are amazing! And thanks to the legendary first user (now deleted account) who mentionned the possibility. The NDS game collection is amazing. Desume is solid for an emulator but for some games, it's just better to use the stylus instead of a mouse.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
For starters, this is a great addition to anyone who wants to play the DSvanias on Wii U, there's no real reason why Order of Ecclesia has the touch screen as the main one, and Dawn of Sorrow can/must be patched.

Aeil

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
This is really nice, blew up my mind!
The Fullscreen Widescreen while setting your Wii U resolution to 16:9 while outputting to CRT 4:3 is perfection thank you! This is the way to play Chrono Trigger.

If its not too much, can you add another 2 options for the fullscreen widescreen?
1. Top Screen DS Fullscreen Widescreen(TV), Bottom Screen DS Standard DS Resolution (Wii U Pad)
2. Bottom Screen DS Fullscreen Widescreen on(TV), Top Screen DS Standard DS Resolution(Wii U Pad)

zigoraty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It worked great for me, but is it normal to have #NO_TEXT# in the description of some layouts?

Attachments

• 20230119_103517.jpg
    20230119_103517.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It worked great for me, but is it normal to have #NO_TEXT# in the description of some layouts?
No, that's not normal, just double checked and my games don't do that. My guess would be that because you're not on a US English Wii U, that it's not pulling the descriptions from the same file location. Not sure where exactly you want to put the file in question, but I'm sure if you do a little searching and testing you can figure it out.

zigoraty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No, that's not normal, just double checked and my games don't do that. My guess would be that because you're not on a US English Wii U, that it's not pulling the descriptions from the same file location. Not sure where exactly you want to put the file in question, but I'm sure if you do a little searching and testing you can figure it out.
It's a Wii u 5.5.6U, I'm using tiramissu.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a Wii u 5.5.6U, I'm using tiramissu.
Yes, but I can see by the not English UI in your screenshot that you're not on a US Wii U, that's going to be the issue for you. You need to find where to put the file that contains the description information (file in questions is strings.json) for your region and language Wii U.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,
Reactions: zigoraty

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Cool. I will nvr say a FUQing Curse word Again :D