Homebrew Add many more screen layout options in DS virtual console games

AMIdDST

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I gave them all titles and descriptions, and they do show up properly for me, did you copy all the files? If you skipped one of them, that would likely explain the lack of titles and descriptions.
I simply replaced the contentfolder with the one from .zip, so I don't know what would cause the issue, then. I'm running CHBC on a PAL Wii U.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I simply replaced the contentfolder with the one from .zip, so I don't know what would cause the issue, then. I'm running CHBC on a PAL Wii U.
Oh gotcha, the issue is that you're on a PAL Wii U. The file strings.json for each DS game goes in the folder: content\0010\data\strings\en. I'm not sure which folder it needs to go into for PAL regions, but the 'en' folder seems to be for English NTSC systems. Since I don't have a PAL Wii U, I can't say for sure, but I'm nearly certain that what you want to do is take that strings.json file and put it in the 'eur_en' folder instead of the 'en' folder.

Reactions: AMIdDST

skroops

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To get this working with UWUVCI VC injector,
1. download the zip file from OP
2. Make sure you have a base game downloaded, or open UWUVCI and download a base game
3. Extract the downloaded archive to [User Dir]\Documents\UWUVCI AIO\bin\BaseGames\[Base Game]. Overwrite all files.
4. Now any WUP installable or loadline inject you make with that base game will have the new NDS scaling options
5. To undo this, just use UWUVCI to redownload the base game

Last edited by skroops,

greysdawn

Trophies
Website
greysdawn.com
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: managed to extend the files to do what i wanted! sorry to bother 😅

heya, didn't see this in the pack (might've missed it) but i was wondering: if there isn't a layout like this already, would it be possible to have one that shows both screens on the TV but only a specific screen (eg: bottom) on the gamepad?

i'm interested in using the wii u to help me stream older games, and the layouts that show both screens make it a bit difficult for me to use the bottom screen in touch-heavy games 😔

Last edited by greysdawn,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, you said you use loadiine for ds emulation, and I do too lol. Could you explain what I do to set these up for my ds games? I wanted to try these and not accidentally do my paid ds vc I use for CBHC lol
games are in their decrypted forms, which you can do with wii u usb helper (remember to check I think the box when downloading the game to make it decrypt it with the ticket). games go here. I think the bracketed title ID is important. iirc, it's the first four of the product code (the entire thing), and either the first two or last two of the company code (forgot which). you can find this info in the meta.xml in the meta folder of each game:

1634235766347.png

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, messing with the cbhc title on usb won't hurt it. I finally solved the mystery of whether the cbhc title is still playable. it is. you just have to copy the game instead of moving it as the usb takes priority when booting up with one attached. the system.xml only lists a title id, so it's hard coded to look only in the mlc, internal storage, for the game in question.

Powerful

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
games are in their decrypted forms, which you can do with wii u usb helper (remember to check I think the box when downloading the game to make it decrypt it with the ticket). games go here. I think the bracketed title ID is important. iirc, it's the first four of the product code (the entire thing), and either the first two or last two of the company code (forgot which). you can find this info in the meta.xml in the meta folder of each game:

View attachment 279773
Thank you for this. I wasn’t having an issue with the setup for loadiine, more so I have my ds games already setup like this and was wondering if I can use these patches for games in loadiine and not just the regular vc home menu way.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for this. I wasn’t having an issue with the setup for loadiine, more so I have my ds games already setup like this and was wondering if I can use these patches for games in loadiine and not just the regular vc home menu way.
yes, create a folder called updates beside the code, content, and meta folders. inside that, create the version number of the update (i.e. v16), then place the code, content, and meta folders in there. another option is to merge the code content and meta folders with the base game. either works.

Reactions: Powerful

Powerful

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, create a folder called updates beside the code, content, and meta folders. inside that, create the version number of the update (i.e. v16), then place the code, content, and meta folders in there. another option is to merge the code content and meta folders with the base game. either works.
Oh okay awesome thank you!

Reactions: godreborn

kaalakavva

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried this on my cbhc wiiu on several installed DS games on my flash drive using FTPiiu_Everywhere that I got from HomeBrew appstore and I get black screen with every game I tried. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I am copying the content folder at storage_usb/usr/title/00050000/101a2200 using the replace option on CyberDuck on my Mac. Tried this with Phantom Hourglass, Mario & Luigi titles and Warioware with no luck.

kaalakavva

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried this on my cbhc wiiu on several installed DS games on my flash drive using FTPiiu_Everywhere that I got from HomeBrew appstore and I get black screen with every game I tried. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I am copying the content folder at storage_usb/usr/title/00050000/101a2200 using the replace option on CyberDuck on my Mac. Tried this with Phantom Hourglass, Mario & Luigi titles and Warioware with no luck.

kaalakavva

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok nvm it worked with another ftp software. Standard DS no gap is kinda the best mode. I sorta wish there was an intermediate layout between standard DS no gap and standard DS pixel perfect i.e. have standard DS with a very small gap between the screens. That would mimic it perfectly for most of the games.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Standard DS no gap is kinda the best mode.
That's very much a subjective opinon up for debate, and one that certainly doesn't hold true for particular games based on how you should play them in general (such as Brain Age). Frankly, I prefer the modes that give each screen of the DS its own screen on the Wii U in general, but there are many different games that call for different layouts and there are occasions where I prefer to use other layouts. Point is, we're all different and each game is different and this is why I assembled as many layouts as I could reasonably fathom.

Reactions: ZipMartin

ZipMartin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Point is, we're all different and each game is different and this is why I assembled as many layouts as I could reasonably fathom.
My monitor can be rotated 90 degrees clockwise and I was really hoping that I would be able to use it like that, showing both DS screens while the Wii U gamepad would only show the bottom screen for eventual touch input, having the D-pad *not* rotated. That way there would be very little waste of screen space with the highest non integer resolution and up to 3x integer. I think it would be optimal for games that use both screens as play area such as Contra 4 and Yoshi's Island DS.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still think this kind of layout would be really nice to have.
I haven't gotten around poking around with layout myself tho.

These seems to be an app released to edit layout. https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-vcndslayout-editor.566403/
@ZipMartin maybe you could try this app and see if it is easy enough?
Nah I didn't use any special program, just any XML editor is all you need, I just use notepad++.

Anyway, i'm not adding more layouts at this time, I'm sorry, as the requests I'm seeing at this point are getting more and more niche and would probably only be used by the individual asking. As such, I will create a small tutorial on how to properly add (and not just replace like other threads have explained in the past) more layouts.

I'll probably drop that info within the next week or 2. If that isn't quick enough, feel free to figure out how to add more on your own, it's genuinely not hard at all, I mean even I figured out how to do it lol.

Dreambird1973

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I read most of the thread, but I miss a FULL explanation of how to install/replace that files, and how to do it exactly. I could search for that info in the whole thread, but why don't anyone write a little FAQ on how to implement the files exactly. There are several questions that I can not find an anwer to. Like: Do I really have to use an FTP to install this, or may I just insert the files on the WiiU itself, because most of the Games are saved in the NAND? Could anyone wirte a little "How to..." to it?

Last edited by Dreambird1973,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1