Hardware Add +1 to the 3DS death count shall we?

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many time in a row you said this message?
You hate R4i, we got it already shut up! This isn't the issue here

It kinda is. If clone carts didn't keep copying GW3ds after the initial few FWs to get them started, GW wouldn't have needed to implement this code. I'm 100% behind the concept, however Gateway fucked up the execution and bricked their own users too.

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
How about Devin's card had bad (oxidised) contacts since he hasn't used it for a while (I get that with old R4 cards - you have to rub the contacts with your fingers to get the card to work)

Maybe a bad contact caused the 3DS mode switch (from DS mode) to go belly up and brick the console?

Is it the same error code everyone else (gateway and clone users) is getting?

wiewcw

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
someonewhodied - if GW encrypt their FW properly they've also not get clones of the flash card... Yes it is demagogy but this thread is about their bricker code affected on device that should be brick proof? So where you have problem now?

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
He must have got in from a cloned Gateway team then

Or mabe Devin is a clone of Devin

and if that cloned gateway team was the true GW team, wouldn't that means that the clone carts are clones of a clone?
Clone-ception!

In all srsness, let us hope that this malicious code is removed in 2.0, although I HIGHLY doubt it.

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
someonewhodied - if GW encrypt their FW properly they've also not get clones of the flash card... Yes it is demagogy but this thread is about their bricker code affected on device that should be brick proof? So where you have problem now?

You are also under the impression that 3ds homebrew has progressed to the point where we can create our own extremely secure encryption that can still be decrypted and ran on the 3ds.

And like i said, gateway fucked it up. But IF they manage to protect their own users in the future while still retaining the brick code, they have my complete support.

wiewcw

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
thieir prevent users only by remove this damn shitty code and do proper encryption as R4i done on Wood - clones have only 1.50 revision... so it is not impossible...

Reactions: Cyberdrive

ELok

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It kinda is. If clone carts didn't keep copying GW3ds after the initial few FWs to get them started, GW wouldn't have needed to implement this code. I'm 100% behind the concept, however Gateway fucked up the execution and bricked their own users too.
Yeah right, since they are cloning our work let's put kill code so it'll brick their customer's 3DS because they are the one that deserve to be punish...those ungrateful bastard!

*clap* *clap* *clap*

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah right, since they are cloning our work let's put kill code so it'll brick their customer's 3DS because they are the one that deserve to be punish...those ungrateful bastard!

*clap* *clap* *clap*

Well they aren't getting the money from those people anyways, and it would turn people away from clones since it would be more dangerous to go for the cheap clone than the scumbag original. If it were executed properly, flashcart users would be forced to buy a GW3ds or MT-Card or risk bricking. They aren't losing anything from bricking clone cart customers. I just hope they make it safe for original cart users in the next update.

wiewcw

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
After this mess sorry GW not get my money... I am waiting for real solution not only piracy stuff... second I am willing to get same support that I've get from DS2.

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After this mess sorry GW not get my money... I am waiting for real solution not only piracy stuff... second I am willing to get same support that I've get from DS2.

Thats fine. I never said that GW3ds was the only option. Its just that for pirates its the safest option while retaining eshop access and SDK 5.0+ games.
For pirates theres 3 options right now. GW3DS, Clone cart, MT-Card

MT card lacks features, and clone cards are more vulnerable to bricks than the GW3DS.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
(...) clone cards are more vulnerable to bricks than the GW3DS.
They're only as vulnerable to failure as likely their creators are to steal someone else's code without actually going through it to see what does what. I mean, seriously, imagine how little attention must've been paid to the porting process if neither R4 nor 3DS-Link teams even noticed the apparently blatantly visible bricking code.

wiewcw

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi4 - also it should be encrypted by Gateway not only released with or without that dam bricker code... This is real protection... If user could edit launcher.dat just like that the Gateway should think twice form begining how they would protect it.

Clones probably patch it simply... But Gateway was dump as hell if they not program it properly... for me bricking clone flash cards is acceptable, but not whole console... this is madness.

I don't think so that users after this brick will be running with money to GW for "uber"... If I've get that brick by using clone card - I would wait bit for sth better... For now GW is nothing special as pirated device... still no signs about support of higher firmware etc... or homebrew...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi4 - also it should be encrypted by Gateway not only released with or without that dam bricker code... This is real protection... If user could edit launcher.dat just like that the Gateway should think twice form begining how they would protect it.

Clones probably patch it simply... But Gateway was dump as hell if they not program it properly... for me bricking clone flash cards is acceptable, but not whole console... this is madness.

I don't think so that users after this brick will be running with money to GW for "uber"... If I've get that brick by using clone card - I would wait bit for sth better... For now GW is nothing special as pirated device... still no signs about support of higher firmware etc... or homebrew...
I never said that I supported including any brinking code in the firmware - what I said was that the problem became escalated partially due to clone teams copy-pasting without any rhyme or reason, which only goes to show how much testing they go through before releasing their software.

Support for higher firmware may or may not come, depending on whether or not the Scene as a whole finds an exploit. As for homebrew, you don't even need a flashcart for that, so this is a non-issue.

As far as the feature set is concerned, the Gateway is still the "leader". Fair enough, the MTCard allows for multi-ROM support, but only due to a hardware switch, it has nothing to do with any 3DS coding prowess whatsoever, rather with a clever cart design.

juins

Trophies
XP
Country
The 32GB SD card worked perfectly on my Wii. I used it for SD loading games and found no performance issues. I just used my 32GB SD card over my 4GB one in case I wanted to download some eShop games on my 3DS.

Correct me if im wrong, i believe that to load .isos of an SD card you have to make a partition on it, for it to be recognized as primary and active? i dont really remember, i think thats for DIOS MIOS loading. maybe GW thought this partition was for emunand.

Im just partially remembering anyways.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh
    ♫ Mama hully gully, Papa hully gully, Baby hully gully too:rofl2:
    Oh god, I really am old. lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @SylverReZ, sup Sylv!
    +1
    Anyway, I gotta go to the store. L8er guys. Oops, I better put some clothes on :shy::tpi::rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, Hey there Sickly.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Make sure the cops don't see that.
    hazbeans @ hazbeans: hi