Ad Hoc / Dual NIC questions

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by WildWon, Aug 16, 2008.

Aug 16, 2008

Ad Hoc / Dual NIC questions by WildWon at 8:35 PM (833 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. WildWon
    OP

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    So here's the scenario. I had internets at the apartment in the past, it ran into an older linksys router (4 port) and out to two computers and a 360. Apparently you have to pay for internet usage month to month or they shut it off [​IMG]. Well, i got a Wireless NIC to toss into my main system (to connect to a local wifi signal that i don't have access to... directly heh), which is then connected to the router which is hooked up to the 360 and the other 'puter.

The problem is that after i installed the wireless card, if i enable the LAN port on this computer, it more or less renders the wifi card useless. There are two problems with this.

One: I have all my movies on the computer, which, when connected via the home router, i stream to the living room to watch things on that TV. So having to disable the LAN card, well, it really effs up that option.

And Two: I would REALLY like to be able to hit up XBLA and snag some new games, patches, new Rock Band songs and the like, as well as have Wife┬«'s computer online as well, to keep her off of this box [​IMG]

Number Two isn't really as big of a deal as the first one... but i assume that once i can get both cards working together, i can really start to fuck with some Ad Hoc options.

Please please please help me out here. I'd been messing around the web for about 4 hours trying different options, and nothing seems to be working.

HELP!!! [​IMG]

2. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Well, there's a couple of ways to go about this.

First, if you really want to use the new wireless card in addition to the ethernet port then you'd have to enable Internet Connection Sharing. This will basically make your computer into a router for the rest of the computers on the network to talk to each other and connect to the internet.

Secondly, if your old Linksys router is a WRT54G then put a third party firmware on it, I'd recommend DD-WRT and you can then use it as a client bridge/repeater bridge to the "local wifi." This basically allows you to keep your old setup and network.

Just a small note. If the "local wifi" notices something wrong with it's bandwidth chances are you'll get cut off.

3. WildWon
    OP

United States

Firstly, thanks for the info. I didn't know dd-wrt would be useful for a regular non-wireless router. I will definitely get that (i want to get a new "older" wireless router soon, and i know its good for those, but i'll snag this one tonight [​IMG]

As for the bolded statement... well, when we first moved here, i had a USB wireless card, and i hopped on there, i was doing all kinds of random downloads and what not and i wanted to get some torrent work going... well, with the login on their router of "admin/admin," as well as specific torrent ports forwarded to 10 possible IPs... and these things haven't been changed since october, i don't think they'll notice much [​IMG] (and if they do, hell, i didn't have internet usage for months, so i'm not going to be pissed if i don't have it again)

EDIT: One more question though. Even if i get the new firmware on the old wired router, is there a way i can get the wireless and the wired working at the same time? That's a major problem i'm having.

As well, i've tried the ICS thing (in my original 4 hours of working *sigh*) and i can't get that working in the least. I change the IP's as requested, but whenever i try to set up the wireless with ICS, i get an error that there is already an IP being used that is needed for setup, and it won't let me get past that. Any thoughts?

4. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Sorry, a simpler way would be to just bridge the connection. Remember, DD-WRT will only work on WRT54 routers, those are wireless routers. If it looks like your router is not that model, don't bother putting DD-WRT on it.

As for the wired/wireless issue, it might be that your router is outputting the same IP address as the wireless. Try changing the IP address of your router and whatever range of IP it assigns and see if that helps.

5. WildWon
    OP

United States
    Ok, well after effing around for another hour, i somehow mystically, magically managed to get it ALL up and running!

I bridged the connections and, for some reason that it didn't work before... its now working! I can connect to the net via WiFi and both the wireless NIC and the wired card are behaving properly together!

The little thing i tried that made it fully work, i pulled the cat-5 coming from my computer out of a regular slot in the router, and hooked it into the uplink port of the router, and BAM! EVERYTHING works!

So, Jiggah, thanks for your help!

WOO!