Activision Threatens Sony to Give PS3 Price Cut

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The head honcho of Activision has threatened that the company may drop support for the PS3 platform in 2010 and 2011 if things don't pick up for Sony's platform. He wants a price cut now because the attach rate of games is very low. I'm going to stand behind Activision on this lol.

QUOTE said:
“They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates [the number of games each console owner buys] are likely to slow. If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony.” Ask when and he says: “When we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the console — and the PSP [portable] too.” Sounds like Sir Howard Stringer, Sony's chief executive, is going to have to call Mr Kotick pretty fast

News Source: TimesOnline

Update #1: Sony has replied to Activision's threat. It doesn't look like we will be getting a PS3 price cut..
QUOTESo earlier we reported about the threat issued by Activision Blizzard Boss Bobby Kotick to Sony about the possible pullout of his company to publish games on the PS3 and the PSP if Sony does not cut the price of the PS3 and reduced its licensing fees. An SCEE representative then gave a short response about the matter but refused to comment any further. Well here comes Playstation spokesman Patrick Seybold to the rescue. He responded to the issue and said:

Playstation has tremendous momentum coming out of E3, and we are seeing positive growth with more than 350 titles slated to hit across all our platforms, including many anticipated games from our publishing partners. We enjoy healthy business relationships with and greatly value our publishing partners and are working closely with them to deliver the best entertainment experience.

Things are really heating up on both ends. Now Sony has a good point on that one. This year's E3 announcement has truly revitalized not only the PS3 but also the PSP with some impressive first and third-party titles. But on the other hand, a number of publishers have also expressed their disappointment to Sony for not announcing a PS3 price drop and Bobby Kotick just took it one step further. Stay tuned for further updates.

News Source: PSPUpdates.QJ.net

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, I'd totally get a PS3 if it was a decent price. Right now it's just not worth it, the extra power really doesn't add anything to the game experience currently IMO, so I'm not benefitting for the reasons behind the premium price.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've never seen a third part of Activision's size threaten anyone like this. Its pretty crazy. But this most likely isn't going anywhere. Sony probably won't cut and Activision will still support them. But if Sony does cut it won't have anything to do with Activision.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dinofan01 said:
I've never seen a third part of Activision's size threaten anyone like this. Its pretty crazy. But this most likely isn't going anywhere. Sony probably won't cut and Activision will still support them. But if Sony does cut it won't have anything to do with Activision.
Well most just don't publicly say anything, they just stop making games for certain consoles like EA did with N64, Dreamcast & Gamecube.

Activision are just waving their cocks about shouting "hey guys look at us we has Guitar Hero and Call of Duty, you need them!". I don't see this happening, well maybe PSP cut off but not PS3, they still make money from those games its easy! Just port the 360 version cheaply, done, easy money.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
dinofan01 said:
Well most just don't publicly say anything, they just stop making games for certain consoles like EA did with N64, Dreamcast & Gamecube.

Activision are just waving their cocks about shouting "hey guys look at us we has Guitar Hero and Call of Duty, you need them!". I don't see this happening, well maybe PSP cut off but not PS3, they still make money from those games its easy! Just port the 360 version cheaply, done, easy money.
they are probably mad sony didnt show any of their games at their press conference (while MS wasted so much of their conference on rock band beatles)
smileipb2.png

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yup, it's Activision just waving it's uhhh....hand around.

Even if it's selling 3:1 with MS. It's still selling that "1" with Sony. Money is money and Activision as a company isn't going to just say no to money.

Additionally, it's a way for Activision to say that they were the sole influence of any price cut down the line. Everyone already knows that a price cut is coming (most likely TGS).

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My bro bought our 40GB model from some guy for about $200 like a year or 2 ago. The only games I even play on my PS3 are Call of Duty 4 & 5, and a bit of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I have Little Big Planet too, but I can't seem to find it right now :/ .

As a gaming machine, I don't particularly like the PS3 as much as I want to, since there isn't really anything I want to play on it right now, besides Modern Warfare 2 and some future RPG titles. Though as a multipurpose machine, I can say it's worth the price it currently has. But then again, most people want one for playing video games, so I don't blame Activision for wanting a price cut.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ChaosBoi said:
My bro bought our 40GB model from some guy for about $200 like a year or 2 ago. The only games I even play on my PS3 are Call of Duty 4 & 5, and a bit of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I have Little Big Planet too, but I can't seem to find it right now :/ .

As a gaming machine, I don't particularly like the PS3 as much as I want to, since there isn't really anything I want to play on it right now, besides Modern Warfare 2 and some future RPG titles. Though as a multipurpose machine, I can say it's worth the price it currently has. But then again, most people want one for playing video games, so I don't blame Activision for wanting a price cut.
get MGS4

your will probably change your mind after playing that game...

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
Trophies
XP
Country
personager said:
Well, I hope Activision succeed. I want a PS3 badly, I just can't afford it

exactly the same here, i would just get a 360 - but im not really a fan of the system, i prefer the ps3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.