Activision reveals title for this year's Call of Duty game, Modern Warfare 2

untitled-1_6jaL5ON.jpg

Activision quietly announced the latest Call of Duty game on Twitter yesterday. The newest game in the series will be developed by Infinity Ward and is titled Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, which is the exact same title as the 2009 entry into the series. This new entry is not a remake or remaster however (the 2009 game's campaign has already been remastered and released in 2020), but is instead a sequel to 2019's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, which was the fourth entry in and a reboot of the Modern Warfare sub-series. As of now, there is no information on the new game, with the Tweet only showing a logo and the game's title. (The game's developer and status as a sequel to the 2019 Modern Warfare was confirmed in a community update back in February.)

This announcement comes at an interesting time for the series. In an investor report earlier in the week, Activision revealed that Call of Duty had lost about a third of its playerbase since 2021; down to 100 million from 150 million this time last year. Activision blames the decrease on poor sales for last year's entry, Vanguard, and "lower engagement" on free-to-play title Warzone. Over the past year, Warzone has faced difficulties stemming from poorly-received new updates, a confusing launching system even on consoles, and a slew of game-breaking bugs. A "new Warzone experience" is expected to launch sometime in 2022, also led by Infinity Ward, who was responsible for the first Warzone. Both Modern Warfare 2 and the new Warzone are being developed "from the ground up," so it may be able to escape some of the stigma that has bogged down Warzone recently, and may help boost Activision's sagging numbers.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I really don't keep up with COD and have never played it, but didn't the Wii get Modern Warfare 2 back in like 2009 or so? It feels like an old name for an old game to me.
The Wii got Modern Warfare 1 when the other platforms got MW2.

James Rolfe is not going to like the name. Naming games after previous games forces us to say or type the year of release. Like Sonic 06.

best: numbering them from the start
good: numbering them at some point (s. Mario Kart)
weird: Street Fighter, Street Fighter II, III, IV, V, 6
bad: dropping the number (as if the publisher is ashamed of releasing too many games)
worst: naming games after previous ones

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,
Reactions: Mindless_Toxin

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same name, same shit, only difference....

Your game won't be on your disc, it'll be our online crap and you'll be forced to download your game instead.

If we go broke in the next 20 years, you own fuck all, enjoy slapping your disc inside your console as we will have already pulled it off our servers.

Reactions: Aerocool

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I think they're too scared to come out with a new IP (intellectual property), so they're just hoping that people who loved MW2 when they were in highschool will buy it. Kind of a sad state to be in, but here we are.

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Meh

Funfact this is the only Modern Warfare I haven't played, I only had the Wii and DS at the time and for some reason they released the 1 and 3 for the Wii but not the 2, I never understood why to be honest.

I probably won't be playing again anytime soon, I doubt it'll come out to old-gen or Switch.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the love of crap, activision has been reusing the same DOOM 3 engine license since CoD4 and they still can't be bothered to come up with anything that's been worth playing since.

They already gave up on having a campaign since they started chasing that PUBG money, and the lootboxes, and the ports to phones.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Starcraft 3 and Warcraft 4 when?
only boomers still play RTS games, now everyones wanna get quick adrenaline rush, shot someone and claim they fucked ur mom last night.

Btw MW was best multiplayer FPS i ever played, far more enjoyable than Battlefield.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
only boomers still play RTS games, now everyones wanna get quick adrenaline rush, shot someone and claim they fucked ur mom last night.

Btw MW was best multiplayer FPS i ever played, far more enjoyable than Battlefield.
I'm a boomer?
Though I was a Y
Guess you're an alpha :tpi:

Reactions: Kioku

relauby

Idiot Child
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is getting just as stupid as Battlefront games being released under the same name as the previous ones. Was Modern Warfare 4 too hard to make a logo for or something?

View attachment 308087
This is actually Modern Warfare 5. There was 1, 2 and 3, then another Modern Warfare in 2019 and now another Modern Warfare 2. I think the other IW games like Ghosts might be in the same continuity, but it's impossible to tell anymore.

Call of Duty has gotten to a point where not only have they stopped numbering the main series out of shame, they've now stopped numbering the sub-series within it. That's pretty wild.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I'm sure they could have come up with a better name... the original Modern Warfare 2 got me in to playing CoD online, the series peaked at Black Ops 2 for me. The last CoD I purchased was Advanced Warfare, mainly as a friend wanted to play it and didn't have a current gen console, so we split the cost and played split screen online for a while.

I don't really feel i've missed anything by not playing CoD for the last 8 years. Same with Need for Speed, many popular franchises have just been milked to death at this point.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not necessarily.. Also Far Cry never had any RPG elements (i'm talking about the first 4 or so games), did it change with most recent onw FC6? I'm not sure 'cause i haven't played it.

I'm sure they could have come up with a better name... the original Modern Warfare 2 got me in to playing CoD online, the series peaked at Black Ops 2 for me. The last CoD I purchased was Advanced Warfare, mainly as a friend wanted to play it and didn't have a current gen console, so we split the cost and played split screen online for a while.

I don't really feel i've missed anything by not playing CoD for the last 8 years. Same with Need for Speed, many popular franchises have just been milked to death at this point.
Same here.

Last edited by CoolMe,

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OG MW2 was the only COD game I ever played online, Played a few of the follow ups campaigns her and there but it was never as fun online as it was back then.
I used to host modded lobbies on PS3 back in the day, Hawkins Zombieland. BEST COD MOD EVER!!! When the game was finally patched and most mods broke, you could only then play with other hacked ps3 owners, people who could run a bypass to skip the update requirements. As it was 2 PS3s were needed at the time to get online with a modded game before the patch. So player numbers in matches were too low and it wasn't worth playing anymore. HZ was at it very best with a full lobby.

After that I just couldn't play the regular online game anymore. Just plain wasn't as good, or as fun as the HZ mod was..

Also I happened to hear the BEST comeback I've ever heard in my life, while in a MW2 lobby on PS3. I will never forget it either!

This happened in a mainly UK based lobby so your best English accent when you read the below please.. :)

So the story goes...

Player A has a fantastic game, 30 kills, round over.
Back in the full lobby, Player B says on his headset "Player A, you're well good at this, you must sit on COD all day!!!!"
To which Player A immediately replies...
"Nah mate, your mum sits on cod all day...... that's why her cunt stinks!!"
Lobby bursts into laughter....
Player B leaves lobby...

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: