Activision is suing Netflix over "poaching" a former executive

2I6dmDO.png

Activision is taking Netflix to court, over the latter allegedly stealing their CFO while he was still under contract. This isn't the first time this has happened before, as both Viacom and Fox have sued Netflix, and won, in the past over these same claims, in 2018 and 2019 respectively. However, this is the first time Netflix has potentially poached someone from a video game company. News outlet Deadline has posted the legal document, which shows that Activision Blizzard is seeking punitive damages for Netflix's actions, along with a ruling that would prevent Netflix from ever trying to hiring any current Activision workers with contracts. A few snippets from the legal papers have Activision lawyers claiming that "to shape its workforce to its desires, Netflix not only ruthlessly fires its own employees that it deems “adequate,” but is engaged in a years-long campaign of unlawfully poaching executives from Netflix’s competitors regardless of their contractual obligations. In so doing, Netflix intentionally disregards well-established California law".

The at the time Activision Blizzard CFO, Spencer Neumann, had a contract with the company that began in 2017, and spanned until April of 2020. Despite this, Neumann bailed on his Activision job in favor of being employed by Netflix in early 2019, regardless of the contract breach. According to the document, Netflix's co-CEO Reed Hastings was directly involved in hiring Neumann, meaning the "disregard" for the law went all the way up to the top of the streaming giant. Activision hasn't specified just how much money they're seeking in damages, but it'll be determined in the ensuing court trial.

:arrow: Source

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Oh fuck off, Activision. Like you actually care. Not only that, I spy a bit of hypocrisy. You say Netflix ruthlessly fires their employees but... It wasn't long ago you did the exact fucking thing.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh fuck off, Activision. Like you actually care. Not only that, I spy a bit of hypocrisy. You say Netflix ruthlessly fires their employees but... It wasn't long ago you did the exact fucking thing.

LOL. Are you talking to yourself ? :rofl2:Activision isn't coming here to read your message. If they did and they aren't going to care.

I know how you feel but that's how system works. Its everywhere.. Always about money. Greedy! :)

D

Deleted User

LOL. Are you talking to yourself ? :rofl2:Activision isn't coming here to read your message. If they did and they aren't going to care.

I know how you feel but that's how system works. Its everywhere.. Always about money. Greedy! :)
I... think he knows Activision isn't going to read it
He was only expressing an opinion lmao

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this why Netflix keeps raising its prices? To find these legal battles?
To be honest, the value in the service is a lot bigger than it used to be. Their original shows alone are really good value as they are pretty consistent with their quality (Queens Gambit was GREAT). Though, that’s only because they know people will stay subscribed if they keep putting out shows. Nowadays, the contract tv shows and movies are just extras to the originals
Definitely not the bargain it used to be but it’s far from a scam

Last edited by GoldenBullet,

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well Activision needs to get relevant again it seems ...

netflix who the fuck still uses that when i can just pirate the fuck out of whatever i want on USN and KEEP IT FOREVER
While I get where you are coming from ... downloaded everything for years and years ... Netflix has really changed that behavior for me. And I'm not alone when it comes to that I guess.

Do not get me wrong usenet is still wonderful for a lot of reasons ... but Netflix is just ease of use with what is available being always perfect. With Usenet you still have to know what quality you want, if it includes subs, if it has a certain audio channel / format and so on. Sure you can automate the crap out of that ... but still it all are things to consider.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this why Netflix keeps raising its prices? To find these legal battles?
Yeah, I cancelled after the first price hike, and never came back, lol. Now it feels like every media company wants their own "Netflix", and is turning streaming into "cable 2.0"

I remember when people were freaking out like it was doomsday, when the FCC in the US killed net neutrality, yet fuck all has happened since then. The only thing that became more "cable like" was the streaming services.

C43GTCm.png
Anyone remember this image? lol

Last edited by Viri,
Reactions: Ricken and Ryccardo

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think if the CFO wants to work elsewhere, he should be allowed to. It's actually kind of Activision's fault, here, for trying to keep him under contract when he doesn't want to be. I think they should settle this out of court before it gets out of hand.

While Netflix may be the kind of company that Activision claims, I don't think that is the case here.

Reactions: jimbo13

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person