Active Noise Cancellation

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by azotyp, Apr 15, 2008.

Apr 15, 2008

Active Noise Cancellation by azotyp at 1:21 PM (1,789 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. azotyp
    OP

Member azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    I found couple of days ago (in one internet auction) CREATIVE HN-700 headphones with
    Active Noise Cancellation I'm not buying them , cose I have headphones already, but maybe in the future. Just wanted to ask have anyone used any headphones with Active Noise Cancellation . How good this technology is ? (How loud noise from the suroundings can it cancell ?)

2. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I can't say anything about how good they are (had a stock pair with my phone so they're probably not the best on the market), but I really don't like using noise cancelling headphones while travelling. Maybe it's just me, but I found the lack of background noise really unsettling; not hearing incoming cyclists or the background noise of the bus was really really weird. They'd be great for use indoors though.

3. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    I had a pair of sony's, it's really freaky because it was absolutely noiseless. I use it on the subways, but I turn it off on streets just in case.

4. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    I don't mind it on the bus.
    When I used to go home from school I'd have the misfortune of being in the same bus as many of the local girls school.

5. residentskitz

Newcomer residentskitz Member

United States

yeah...that would totally suck being stuck in the same bus as a bunch of schoolgirls...

but about noise cancelling headphones, the way these work is they actually have a tiny microphone built into them that picks up any ambient sound, then the headphones analyze the sound wave and produce a reverse phase of the sound so it cancels out the ambient sound. thats why alot of these headphones require batteries.
    some of this technology is pretty impressive, but the noise cancellation does sometimes affect the sound you are trying to listen to because it doesnt just block all sound, it actually plays the reverse phased ambient sound through the speakers along with the music you are playing, so you arent listening to the "pure" sound of your source.

try em out tho, they're neat.

6. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    I much prefer "sound isolation" to any active system

7. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    my dad got me some in-ear really expensive headphones from his shop and they cancel all outside noise and the quality is amazing. but they don't fit in my ear very well [​IMG]

8. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    My friend has one of the Shure models, and I'm surprised at how much noise it isolated. The only problem with it, was that it felt too tight in my ears. But since it costs so much, I'll go with a pair of Koss porta pros.

9. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    They should have 2 or 3 different size ear things, that can be taken off and switched.

10. Harpuia

Member Harpuia GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The in-ear noise cancelling earphones are pretty irritating IMO (and it gets messy sometimes [​IMG] , not fun when people want to borrow earphones). I prefer to use the large headphone noise isolation types at home and normal earphones outside.

11. Dylan

Australia
    yeah even the smallest ones fall out all the time. (the brand is shure in case anyone was wondering)

12. Dylan

Australia
    congrats on 500th post. change your thingy to something amusing

13. xcalibur

United Kingdom
    In ear sound isolation headphones are a lot more comfortable though.

14. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    School bus = you win [​IMG] Used to get one every day when I was in school so I remember the anarchy well.

15. azotyp
    OP

Poland
    It is stronger than me I think that tomorrow I will buy CREATIVE HN-700 (dont have lot of money but enough to buy them). I just have obsession about them and must buy them [​IMG]
    Hope they will at least partially cancell all unwanted songs that my brother listen all the time on loudspeakers when I play ndsl in one shared room.

16. xcalibur

United Kingdom
    Anarchy doesn't begin to explain it [​IMG]

Its quite unnerving anywhere else though and just plain dangerous out in the streets.
    I like a bit of background noise.

17. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    wrong topic.

18. Dylan

Australia
    noise cancellation's benefit in my opinion is that you can really listen to the music and hear parts in the track you wouldn't be able to hear otherwise

19. azotyp
    OP

Poland
    I have CREATIVE HN-700 noise canselation is about 60-70 % of sounds like loudspeakers in medium sound volume (I turned on that technology button and listened to mp3 from mp3 player, played also song on loudspeakers on 20 of 50 scale on my stereo loudspeakers and I didnt hear a bit of noise on earphones when listening to songs). , the technology itslef make little bit noise but only heard while not playing music.
    Quite ironic that headphones have noise cancellation technology and I'm currently playing "the world ends with you"and fight noise [​IMG] . (gotta test fighting noise with noise cancellation on [​IMG] ).