Activating new PS Vita and PSTV? Will modded PS3s help?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by galneon, Aug 30, 2016.

1. galneon
    OP

galneon GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2006
    United States
    Because I cannot resist a moddable system, I have a new Vita and PSTV coming. I'm concerned about doing as much as I can from the beginning, even if there isn't a lot I can do with the systems yet, because even if I don't update past 3.60, online access could become more restrictive in the future... I think it would be in my best interests to activate, spoof version and log into PSN to get things I might need while PSN access is still a possibility (at least, as of a few weeks ago, spoofed version logons were still being accepted according to what I've read).

I've read some older tutorials about this process (like this one) and am unsure if I'll be able to activate my Vita/PSTV through this method... I have PS3s, but they are modded, and while I successfully used them on PSN and in online games for years while modded, I haven't done so since ~2014 and may not be able to log onto PSN safely anymore to buy a Vita game for the purpose of activating. I just don't know if stealth PSN logons are still possible...

Given my PS3s are modded, could there be easier ways to use them to help activate the Vita/PSTV?

Are there other time critical concerns beyond activation I should be aware of when I get my systems? Even if I don't actually use these systems for a while, I'd like to get everything set up properly.

2. SonsofOcelot

SonsofOcelot Shalashaska

Aug 4, 2016
    Canada
    Kamurocho
    Currently the latest version of HENkaku natively supports spoofing to allow PSN access. This could change quickly though knowing s0ny.

Knowing this if it is still spoofable when you get them you should be able to activate without using the ps3 via normal activation procedures. Just be sure to turn off automatic system updates in settings to be safe.

galneon likes this.
  3. Alexdlz

Alexdlz Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 31, 2016
    Mexico
    Or you could use vitaactivator in case spoofing dont work when you get your system, is listed on the homebrew listing thread

galneon likes this.
  4. SonsofOcelot

SonsofOcelot Shalashaska

Aug 4, 2016
    Canada
    Kamurocho
    Oh man I totally forgot about that piece of awesomeness. Yeah if spoofing don't work just use Vita activator

5. Alexdlz

Alexdlz Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 31, 2016
    Mexico
    Yes it really is a wonderfull homebrew, helped me before the henkaku update that brought fw spoofing

6. galneon
    OP

galneon GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2006
    United States
    Great, sounds like I have two solid options, though the homebrew approach is probably optimal. Thanks!

7. Chrestomanci

Chrestomanci Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2015
    Switzerland
    Could you tell me if you manage to get it to work? I'm gonna get a PSTV but I don't have a PS3.

8. galneon
    OP

galneon GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2006
    United States
    Yep, I'll let you know. Should be early next week.

Chrestomanci likes this.
  9. galneon
    OP

galneon GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2006
    United States
    This was trivial on both my Vita and PS TV with Vita Activator. Thanks again!

Chrestomanci likes this.