ACQ-I / Korg DS-10

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by mute, Jul 30, 2008.

Jul 30, 2008

ACQ-I / Korg DS-10 by mute at 10:00 AM (1,860 Views / 0 Likes) 1 replies

1. mute
    OP

Newcomer mute Member

United States
    edit: i cant edit the title.. it should read AQ-I not acq..oops.

The last thread on hacking the DS-10 started off in a dead-end because its technically incorrect and will not lead anywhere. Most notably, there are no samples to replace or change in the DS-10 all the sounds are generated in realtime via dsp synthesis. You create your own drum sounds. However, I think this is a crazy important topic so I'd like start a new thread [​IMG]

That said, here's some possible hacks I can think of:

A software app similar to the Demo downloader or DS MIDI Wifi (DSMI) that lets us link the start/stop messages from the DS-10 to any MIDI and lets us send the data from the DS-10 directly to the computer for back up (using the 'data exchange' feature on DS-10).
    - This could be hard though because the WIFI in use is just local multiplayer wifi and the only progress I remember anyone ever making on that was a hacked Linksys router/firmware which isn't very practical and its been a few years now so you'd think something better would be established. DSMI appears the closest relative to this idea but i believe that uses the regular wifi connection..

A hidden/"wrapped" DS emulator that will automatically load the DS-10 rom then give you a list of sessions/songs to render.. then output that file to wav/mp3.
    - this seems very doable.. personally I dont mind running my DS-10 into my mixer/computer because its very performance oriented anyways.

Software similar to a patch librarian for synths that will let us import/export saved "synth presets" between different save files. This way we can store as many individual synth patces as we want as well as share them, etc.
    - also seems very doable.

I'm sure theres several other ideas along this line that ppl could come up with that are practical are realistically achievable.

some facts and corrections of misstatments in the other thread:
    - It is a multitrack sequencer : to be exact, it is a 6 channel sequencer. the song sequencer itself is a 'chain' sequencer as on drum machines, some h/w midi sequencers, trackers, and grooveboxes like the Electribes. the multichannel sections are the 6 different sequencers for all the different parts. You cannot use pattern "pins" at the same time because the synths are not polyphonic, they're monophonic, meaning they can only make one sound at a time per synth page. That's not the same thing as saying it doesnt multitrack.
    - There are no samples in the DS-10.
    - The pattern control/performance/saving is almost identical to the features on the Electribes. Each pattern "pin" stores all the settings for the Synth patches as well as the pattern sequences, which is very cool.
    - The drum sections are actually full blown synth sections just like Syn1 and Syn2. You can even load saved synth patches into the Drum parts and use the same depth of patch modulation on their Edit Patch windows. There are a few differences though: 1. they default to a matrix drum sequencer page, but hit the next button on the top left and it'll take you to the piano roll editors for them so you can sequence out notes. 2) you cannot edit their synth parameters in realtime like syn1/syn2. You have to stop playback to make your changes. However, each of these "drum parts" can have individual effects.. not just the global insert fx like syn1/syn2. 3) there is no Release on the Envelope, instead you just have Attack, Decay and Sustain. You can get over this using some delay, if you must.

For the record, my import of the DS-10 arrived yesterday [​IMG]

2. mute
    OP

Newcomer mute Member

United States
    [​IMG] another one..

game link -> midi sync (convert to ds midi wifi or something.. similar tool)