AceNS official GBAtemp review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Scarlet, Sep 28, 2018.

Front-page
    Banner.jpg
    The latest in payload loaders for the Switch, we take a look at Ace3DS' first step into the world of Switch hardware.
    :arrow: Official Review

Discussion (32 replies)
  1. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    Doesn't everyone has a smartphone?? i mean why don't use ur own phone to send payload instead buy an extra device to do so??

alexbrarjohn likes this.
  2. supergamer368

supergamer368 is very cool :D

May 22, 2016
    United States
    Does anybody read locations?
    Well, if you have an iOS device (which many people do) you need to jailbreak it in order to send payloads. And most don’t want to jailbreak their iPhones.

3. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Usually, such things require a rooted phone. And Google and a lot of phone makers are especially pettty assholes that go out of their way to block such things from being possible.

alexbrarjohn likes this.
  4. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    you mean to use NX loader u have to root ur android phone??

5. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    You needed a rooted phone to run the jailbreak feature when it still required a dongle for the PS3.
    You need a rooted phone to plug into a pc to boot up the xboxhdm as an alternative loading method if you couldn't spare an optical drive to load it normally.
    It stands to reason, that you would need a rooted phone to instruct it to run unsigned code over its usb port for anything.

6. Crusatyr

Crusatyr Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2016
    United States
    I have NEVER known Google to make it difficult to root a phone. Sure, it may be difficult to do it in such a way that doesn't trip Safety Net, but on any Google device I've owned rooting it has always been as easy as enabling usb debugging and unlocking the bootloader.

No, you don't. It works without root.

Itzumi and T-hug like this.
  7. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Except it is stated on NX Loader’s Github that it works with stock Android.

x65943 likes this.
  8. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    Well I used my Huawei mate 10 PRO to send payload to ps4 and root wasn't required, I still haven't tried it on Switch, which i highly doubt it needs root...

9. owek1

owek1 Master Sword Wielder

Aug 16, 2016
    Australia
    dont want to root my Samsung tho.. i use Samsung Pay..

10. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Have you even looked at the process to root a Nexus, or Pixel? Better hope you're doing it behind a UPS of some kind, and don't have to get interrupted at all. Seeing as the process literally wipes the entire phone's storage, meaning that if it's interrupted for any reason (power outage because of course the phones have zero battery life, or interruption somewhere), you now have a bricked phone.

I can't even start the process to root my G4, because even in 2018 LG wants to be petty as fuck and demand I buy an international model that won't work here. About the only phone model I could even want to get anymore is the unlocked version of the V20 (US996), and much to my dismay I found out there's even three separate sub-versions of that. if I get anything but the one with a country code of 'USA', i still can't unlock the boot-loader and actually do any of the cool shit that a rooted phone enables. And because nobody on XDA wants to make the effort to do it any other way.

And then there's this asshole known as Niantic, who decided to blatantly get around a loophole of accessing your phone (and SD card's) contents before you even have the opportunity of explicitly blocking the permissions for it, look for even empty folders that match something they don't like, and block you from even running the app. And of course Google won't do jack shit to them for it. :shit::angry:

Subtle Demise and Sora Takihawa like this.
  11. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    someone above confirmed that you dont' have to root ur phone to send payload. neither NX loader's official page says u have to root ur phone. so u don't have to buy this dongle

owek1 likes this.
  12. Crusatyr

Crusatyr Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2016
    United States
    Uh... yes, I've owned the Nexus 6 and Pixel XL. I can assure you that rooting them was a lot easier than it was rooting my Samsung Galaxy S2 and my Note 3.

What part of "wiping the data partition" is going to result in a brick? Personally, I'm glad that if someone tried to unlock my phone it deletes the encryption key. It helps keep my data safe. In fact, starting from the OG Pixel, Google phones are set up to have two system partitions so if one is written incorrectly, it falls back to the other. It's pretty cool as an anti-brick tool in case something does happen.

I can't help you there, but what I can say is you seem salty you aren't capable of rooting your phone, so clearly all phones are just as evil and difficult.

Pardon them for wanting to employ some sort of Anti-cheat in their augmented reality game. Clearly they are the devil for doing so. However, what gets me is I'm confused as to why this is a point for you, considering the fact that you can't root your phone.

Last edited by Crusatyr, Sep 28, 2018
  13. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    It took all of five minutes to go through the process on my Note 3. Rooting a Nexus is open heart surgery by comparison. And it still doesn't fix the horrendous battery on Google's iphone knock-offs.

So sick of phone makers being such petty assholes about this. I went to android because I wanted an anti-iPhone. I want to root. I want to mod. I want to run my own shit. Just make good hardware, leave it open and stop fucking with me! :nayps3:

Now you got phone makers acting like autistic 12 year olds in online multiplayer just being "how DARE YOU request we put a bigger battery in here. The 10 second video playback is a feature, not a hindrance! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!" :wacko:

Subtle Demise likes this.
  14. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Not sure why people wouldn't want to jailbreak their phone, but iPhone jailbreaks can be months in between.

15. SuperNintendho

SuperNintendho Member

Newcomer
    GBAtemp Patron
    SuperNintendho is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 26, 2018
    United States
    Ghost Of Soldiers
    In my experience NXLoader (or xecuters sx tools) doesn't work on many Android phones.
    It works for my personal phone, a pixel 2 xl, but not with my wife's phone or my 2 old phones that are used for retro emulation. Doesn't work with my sister's phone, or my bro in-laws phone.

I believe i heard that the phone has to support OTG. I guess many phones do not.
    On a side note if anyone has any idea how to enable OTG or some workaround please share.

16. noahc3

noahc3 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2015
    Canada
    Except Rekado/NXLoader doesn't.

17. TiagoLima

TiagoLima Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2005
    Brazil
    If you have an android, the most you need to buy is an OTG adapter or a USB-C to USB-C cable. I've been using NXLoader without a problem on my phone, really 10/10

18. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    I don't know about you guys, but I would much rather carry around a dongle which automatically loads whatever payload I want instead of having to root the phone, then set it up to load the payload and then send it, and much less carry a cable around everywhere just to send the payload.
    The dongle is way more easy to access, I just never liked having to carry a cable and pop up the phone and connect it all to the Switch just to get it to CFW.
    With the dongle you just plug it in, turn on the Switch and boom, you're in.

19. smf

smf GBAtemp Addict

Feb 23, 2009
    It seems to be a choice of buying a device that will plug into the switch and simply deploy the exploit guaranteed.

Or buying an OTG and USB C converter, loading the software onto your phone, running it and not knowing until then whether it will work. If I already had the parts then maybe I would have used them.

The teensy dongles from the ps3 ended up being useful afterwards, so I will probably get some use out of these as well.

20. renes2

renes2 ~New World~

Mar 14, 2009
    Germany
    NRW
    Nx loader works perfectly fine WITHOUT Root.

Please dont confuse any Ps3/Ps4 jailbreak Shit with the Switch Scene

21. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 4, 2012
    Netherlands
    in front of a screen...
    Works on all ... does that include ipatched Switches?