Slushie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey All.

I'd like to buy a Flash Card for my original silver DS. (Don't know if the model matters.)

Anyway, I've narrowed it down to three that seem good for around the same price.
The Acekard 2, The DSTT, and The SuperCard DS One v3.

I've been trying to search the forum, and find more info on them. But since I think software for them updates, I'm not sure if some is slightly out of date, and what is the best for what I'd like to do. I'm hoping some kind people can give me some pros and cons on these three, as well as personal experience they have had with any.

What I'd like to do mainly is play NES, SNES, and Original Gameboy/GBC games on it through emulators.
I won't be playing GBA or DS games through this flashcart, so whichever is better with that doesn't matter at all to me. (I'm not even sure if you can play GBA games through the slot-1).

I would also probably like to watch video files on it sometimes, and probably run some of the cool homebrew apps I've heard of.

Anyway, any help on which of these three cards would be best for what I want to do would really be appreciated.

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would recommend the Acekard 2. I listen/watch some music/videos on it and it works perfectly through MoonShell. Right now, I'm playing Pokemon Crystal (I've heard others say it was the best Pokemon game there is). No Slot-1 card can play GBA games without the Slot-2 Expansion (ie EZFlash 3in1). I'm not too sure about NES/SNES because I don't play those at the moment but I'm pretty sure they work excellently.

Some options/recommendations:

If you want the best flashcart and don't care about the price: CycloDS Evolution
If you want the best flashcart but do care about the price: Acekard 2
If you want a flashcart with onboard NAND memory: Acekard R.P.G.
If you want a flashcart that also offers a Slot-2 (not for free though): EZFlash V & M3DS Real
If you want a Slot-2 expansion: EZFlash 3-in-1 (GBA, RAM, & Rumble)
If you want a flashcart that could possible brick your Nintendo DS: R4 DS, R4 III & N5

But I'm pretty sure all Slot-1 flashcarts support emulators/homebrew apps (and MoonShell of course) .

Edit: I'd just get the Acekard 2 because it's at a pretty good price from DealExtreme.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
IOwnAndPwnU said:
I would recommend the Acekard 2. I listen/watch some music/videos on it and it works perfectly through MoonShell. Right now, I'm playing Pokemon Crystal (I've heard others say it was the best Pokemon game there is). No Slot-1 card can play GBA games without the Slot-2 Expansion (ie EZFlash 3in1). I'm not too sure about NES/SNES because I don't play those at the moment but I'm pretty sure they work excellently.

Some options/recommendations:

If you want the best flashcart and don't care about the price: CycloDS Evolution
If you want the best flashcart but do care about the price: Acekard 2
If you want a flashcart with onboard NAND memory: Acekard R.P.G.
If you want a flashcart that also offers a Slot-2 (not for free though): EZFlash V & M3DS Real
If you want a Slot-2 expansion: EZFlash 3-in-1 (GBA, RAM, & Rumble)
If you want a flashcart that could possible brick your Nintendo DS: R4 DS, R4 III & N5

But I'm pretty sure all Slot-1 flashcarts support emulators/homebrew apps (and MoonShell of course) .
It's funny how you never mention Scds1. It has functions comparable to that of CycloDS Evo, has good support and is available at a very good price. You'll also have the ability to use three different OS's (Scds1's offical OS, DSTT's OS and Ysmenu). The only bad thing about the Scds1 is the GUI which can be described as a bit sluggish.

Slushie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the replies. (Keep 'em coming
smile.gif
)

So with them I'm leaning toward the Acekard most, and a little bit for the Supercard. I have heard the Supercard has a slow interface, but I don't think that be a big effect on which one I'd choose. I'd rather just get the best one overall.

I'd probably end up getting it from gamersection.ca, since I'm from Canada, and it seems good prices. (Shipping fairly cheap).
(Unless someone can recommend a good online shop with good prices to Canada.)

Anyway, the Acekard is about $44 with shipping from them, and the Supercard is about $54 with shipping. So the Supercard is $10 more, would it be worth the extra $10?

Really leaning toward the Acekard now. Any reason I shouldn't order one of those? Will it be able to allow me to emulate and play NES, SNES, and GB/GBC Games? As well as play some videos and run homebrew apps?

Thanks for any help.

Slushie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was about 99% sure on the Acekard about ten minutes ago, then after your post, and looking at your comparision PharaohsVizier, I'm not so sure anymore.

So for the extra ten dollars I'd get a better menu? So when I wanted to load up a video or homebrew app it would be faster since SuperCard's interface is based on Moonshell, and with Acekard I'd have to load up Moonshell and then the video or app?

And I think I'd be fine with NES and GB/GBC emulation, and just skipping SNES on my DS, those systems are fine.

So now I'm really not sure whether to get the Acekard or the Supercard. I'd like to order one tonight or tomorrow.

Does anyone know of a nice firmware for Acekard that has plugins for quickly loading videos and homebrew apps?

Again, anymore input on these two main cards now is really appreciated. Thanks.
smile.gif

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Scds1's OS is based off a heavily modified version of Moonshell 1.41 and doesn't play .dpg:s properly since it's outdated (Moonshell 1.71 is the latest one). Music, pictures and .txt files will work properly though.

Acekard 2 has working plugins for .mp3, .txt, .avi, .dsm, .ogg and .wav, but .avi needs converting first.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
NES, GB/GBC emulation is near perfect. But SNES is sluggish without extra ram, if you want good SNES emulation, you might want to get an expansion pack, even with it, games generally run at about 95% speed, and compatibility is nowhere near 100%.
The only thing slot-2 RAM does with SNEmulDS is get rid of the paging system, but the paging system has been optimized so much with recent versions that I personally can't tell the difference (then again, I've got a slot-2 Supercard miniSD so I can only compare to v0.5 Beta rather than testing v0.6 Alpha with and without extra RAM). Of course, this only affects large games (>3 MB or so) that wouldn't normally fit into the DS's RAM.

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Minox_IX said:
Scds1's OS is based off a heavily modified version of Moonshell 1.41 and doesn't play .dpg:s properly since it's outdated (Moonshell 1.71 is the latest one). Music, pictures and .txt files will work properly though.

Acekard 2 has working plugins for .mp3, .txt, .avi, .dsm, .ogg and .wav, but .avi needs converting first.

Acekard is excellent. Get it from DealExtreme because it's WAY cheaper than that $45 you posted. Get a 4-8GB if you're going to use it for everything but only 2GB if you use it for little (Games or Media). Personally, having a 4GB is the best option because it's in the middle.
biggrin.gif

Slushie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks everyone for the help. I decided to go with the Acekard.
I just ordered it from DealExtreme. (I checked there earlier and for some reason thought the free shipping was just to the US.)
So thanks for the help on selecting the card, and the site recommendation, it saved me about twenty dollars.
smile.gif

lurbi

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Slushie said:
I'd like to buy a Flash Card for my original silver DS. (Don't know if the model matters.)

NOT the DSTT

it is a matter of personal choice weather to get AK2, SCDS1 or CycloDS
(PS: The Supercard can also use the DSTT menu ....)

Slushie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IOwnAndPwnU said:
No problem. Did you buy the MicroSD from there as well or somewhere else?

I was originally just going to pick one up at Wal-Mart. (I work there and get 10% off).
But then I saw how cheap some of the cards are at DealExtreme. So I bought the 8GB Sandisk they have there for $35. An amazing price.

Thanks again for all the help, it really helped me make my decision. (And saved me alot of money.
smile.gif
)

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Slushie said:
IOwnAndPwnU said:
No problem. Did you buy the MicroSD from there as well or somewhere else?

I was originally just going to pick one up at Wal-Mart. (I work there and get 10% off).
But then I saw how cheap some of the cards are at DealExtreme. So I bought the 8GB Sandisk they have there for $35. An amazing price.

Thanks again for all the help, it really helped me make my decision. (And saved me alot of money.
smile.gif
)

You can say that again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over