Acekard RPG vs CycloDS

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by SkH, Mar 18, 2008.

Mar 18, 2008

Acekard RPG vs CycloDS by SkH at 12:18 PM (4,910 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. SkH
    OP

Member SkH GBAtemp Maniac

Algeria
    Hey, I'm thinking about switching from R4 to Acekard RPG. Mainly because of the SDHC support and the super-fast built-in Flash Memory. (to solve the lags, and because SDHC cards aren't THAT fast but most games don't require fast read speeds)

I just heard that the CycloDS have the Wii connect compatibility, but the Acekard RPG have it? I dunno about it.

And the thing that everyone want a CycloDS however the Acekard RPG seems better than it. The In-Game Menu isn't a big deal with the slow-down feature, however the In-Game save makes some sense.

So what's the advantages/disadvantages of the two cards compared to one another?

2. sk3tch

Member sk3tch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have contemplated picking up an AceKard RPG primarily for the open source firmware. However, now that the AceKard 2 is out and it was released lacking open source firmware, I doubt the RPG will continue to receive the benefits of having open source. Since AceKard 2 is the "budget" card, it will gain in popularity much quicker (especially since the RPG costs upwards of $75). So I don't see the open source OS remaining a nice perk. The scene will move on.

The real-time save feature of the CycloDS is pretty sweet...but I wouldn't let it sway you. While it does work a large majority of the time (and work flawlessly), I don't trust it 100%. I always complement it with regular saving. It is a nice little benefit though.

3. cutterjohn

Member cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The Evolution ATM as it has realtime save, although I wouldn't be surprised if someone manages to add that to the Acekard as well. [EDIT] I see that there are reports in another thread that their open source developers would like to add an in game menu and realtime save, but their additional comment that states that they said "it shouldn't be too hard" make me a little leery, as from what I gathered it's not quite so simple to have useful RTS as those may seem to think it will be, but we shall see. [/EDIT]

Also there are other features planned for upcoming Evolution firmware releases that the Acekard doesn't have, but could eventually have.

The problem is that there are pretty much no guarantees what features the Acekard will get as Acekard seem to be leaving alot of the feature work to their customers and open source developers(some of them got free carts).

The HUGE difference IMO is that the Acekard RPG just isn't worth the price, as last I checked it was c. $76 from bamboogaming. WAY WAY WAY too high for what it is, and what features it has IMNHO. Of course, I think that the Evolution is even a little on the pricey side, but if TC keep up their recent levels of support it's well worth it.

4. Smiths

Member Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest

United States
    The AK2 uses a lot of the open source modifications from the authors (we were all contacted for permission), and from what I have heard there will be trade-offs between the acekard team's AK2 additions and the open source RPG.

RTS/In-Game menus I believe are next on the RPG to-do list. From what i've heard on that, it shouldn't be too difficult. It's not a feature I'd use anyway (there's still writing times and whatnot, that could get pretty annoying)

The scene will always move on, and true I've been putting a lot of time into the RPG currently but in the future realize it will not have my attention constantly. But so long as the AK team provides developers with samples upon request, it'll still be worked on.
    It's the GP32/GP2X/Pandora syndrome.

5. SkH
    OP

Algeria
    Thanks the answers, the Real-Time save would come in handy sometimes, and as for the price, it isn't High. I got my R4 with shipping etc. for $115. So it's not that high for me...

Oh, and how's the Wii connectivity's status on AK RPG?

6. sk3tch

United States
    This is very good news! If I'm interpreting this correctly, any RPG open-source applications/modifications that are deemed "worthwhile" to incorporate into the AceKard 2 firmware will be migrated? Creating a kind of development (AceKard RPG)/production (AceKard 2) relationship between the two cards?

Have you had much experience with the AceKard 2? Is it similar enough to the RPG that it is quite simple to migrate from one to the other (with the obvious hardware differences such as USB connectivity and NAND flash the exception, of course)?

7. Raisingod

Member Raisingod GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    It means that new 'commercial feature ' ( developed by the AK team) will be created for both the AK2 and the AKRPG and some open source freatures will be migrated to AK2 ( The team actually asked the programers for premision as far as I know).

PS

This whole AK2 is not open source issue is blown out way out of proportions, as the AK team already stated that its been done as they see no profit in doing so ( if you are a dev you can get AKRPG for free and they will migrate the code to AK2 for the users if the devs agree and the feature is of a significant use)

8. sk3tch

United States
    In his defense, he is a regular on the TeamCyclops.com official forums (which, coincidentally have been down for the past few days) and the team behind the CycloDS themselves have given some "sneak peeks" into what is to come in version 1.4. They're primarily working on "smoothing things out" after adding a ton of features up to 1.3. Which means they're going to streamline the code to prevent all of the fragmentation problems that have been occurring as of late.

Thanks for the updated info on the AceKard scene. I contacted RealHotStuff and they said that they are going to carry the AceKard 2 soon. I'm going to place my order as soon as it is available there. [​IMG]

9. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    I have a bunch of carts ... the AceKard R.P.G. & CycloDS amongst them ... and to be honest, and brief, if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the CycloDS.

10. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    I have both carts as well. I prefer the RPG.

11. Raisingod

Israel

12. Extreme Coder

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    I have both, and the R.P.G. gets more usage on my DS.

13. cutterjohn

Member cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Actually the only features that I'd mention were the ones slated to be added or at least started for v1.4 of their firmware would be entirely based upon public comments made by TC in their forums, which are, unfortunately, down ATM. e.g. soft-reset from any DS application ala SCDS1. Likely one of the 200k sites running phpBB that've been hacked recently.

As to RTS, well if it were so simple to implement I'd bet that more carts would've implemented a variant of it by now. Let us know how it goes, okay? Also let us know when you get direct write of saves to uSD or any file on onboard flash working too, okay?

Price: OK. I'll be blunt. The RPG is insanely priced for what it is, and what it costs to make.

14. Raisingod

Israel
    The RPG does direct write to microSD and the flash memory the roumors that told other wise were proven to be false ( an extensivr read of the code clears that one out).

RTS: I didn't say its easy though I do say its not as hard as the Cyclop team and the SCDS1 team make it look . And yes I do think that the AK team can code it as it is known how to do so [​IMG]

Price: the Evolution cost ~55$ (Based on the price of a post in the forum, my quick search only showed prices of 65+$) the AK RPG costs ~80$. Thats 25$ for 1GB on board so I can say that the price is of the same level as Evolution

15. Smiths

United States
    FWIW: I like the acekard team but have no had as many "direct" talks with them as other current RPG devs have.
    From my experience with them though, it seems they are about creating ideas with hardware, but not following through with capabilities.

They'll fix compatibility should it be a problem, but there are soft-reset errors and ideas like RTS, in game menus, etc. that I feel should be addressed by their official team and not the open source devs.

Thank god for Normmatt's cheat menu coding and the rest of our additions (XML/R4 parsing, etc.), but seriously that should have been something they began working on right after their poor cheat integration was added to the official firmware.

Also, i am working on tracking down just what the heck the AK RPG does to the Arm7 when it's loading, as it seems it doesn't initialize it properly or leave it "as is" properly, resulting in compatiblity errors when booting to GBA mode from the RPG menu to an EZIV or a FlashAdvance.

I don't mind hunting around, but really think it should be looked at.
    for the price and capabilities, part of me would have liked a few more bits of "ripped off" features from other cards. Devs had to add GBA booting, as by default the AK loader only launches slot2 in PassMe mode.

16. SkH
    OP

Algeria
    But why?? Do Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam runs at full speed, just for point out one game?

17. sk3tch

United States
    So then, in your opinion is the AceKard 2 worth a purchase at the $40-$45 US price range?

18. Smiths

United States
    I'm not sure exactly re: AK2. I have a sample in the mail to play with... should be here today or tomorrow.

My preference of cards will always have M3 Simply on top. No matter how much I and others put into the RPG feature-wise, I always love the R4/M3 Simply's ease of use and general compatiblity.

The G6 Real used to be my #2 due to the NAND and features, but the team followed up with the M3 Real and has yet to even acknowledge they haven't put the M3 Real's download play option into the G6 Real... and it's been months.

The RPG usurped the G6 Real due to the NAND. Seriously, it does not get more compatible than using NAND. If a CycloDS NAND came out, hands down that would be my card of choice.

After the AK RPG is now the CycloDS, then G6 Real, then SuperCard DSOne. SuperCard has tons of features and has proven they actually like the DSOne and will support it (they are usually guilty of not updating/paying attention to advancements)... but I just do not like the "Moonshell as GUI" and its ugly, complex usage requirements. It works great, but just lacks a practical "polish".

19. Sweater Fish Del

Member Sweater Fish Del GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have both the RPG and Evolution and while I prefer the RPG, I think most people on these forums would prefer the Evolution.

Evo is just easier to use and offers more piracy related features than the RPG does or probably ever will. The RPG offers more customization and GUI options, though, where the Evolution is lacking, in my opinion. The RPG just offers more possibilities for creative interaction both because of the hardware design and the open source firmware. However, these expanded possibilities make the RPG more difficult to set up and in some cases even use.

So it really depends on what you want in your flash card. If you want something that's easy to use and just works well for playing games but is more or less passive in other respects, the CycloDS Evolution is the better choice. If you want something that will expand the capabilities of your DS more widely, the RPG might be better.

...word is bondage...

20. techforumz

Member techforumz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, IMO, the RPG is lacking on almost every front. Homebrew doesn't (AKFS) work, and the "piracy" related features aren't there, so what DOES it do? Music?