Acekard - Nintendo proof?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Kingwad, Dec 17, 2007.

Dec 17, 2007

Acekard - Nintendo proof? by Kingwad at 2:38 PM (1,594 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Kingwad
    OP

Newcomer Kingwad Advanced Member

Canada
    So Nintendo has been chasing flashcard with claims of violation of intellectual property violations, specifically that bootcodes have been lifted from Warioworld. If these allegations are true then it is clear that these cards have broken the law in their development. Could Acekard be saying to Nintendo "Here is our code. It is our code, and it is not your code. We have stolen nothing and we will show you how we have done it."?

Of course, if there is stolen code in that open-sourced blob, Acekard could have also just removed their jockstrap and yelled "betcha can't kick just one!"

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    AceKard theorically is not Nintendo proof. Anything that boots without FlashMe is not Nintendo proof [​IMG]

3. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    There's still no Illegal code in any flashcards. Until we get a half-decent explanation from the ESA, that's my line.

4. deufeufeu

Member deufeufeu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Cote d'Ivoire
    Please stop this. The use of copyrighted code was an issue before Martin Korth broke the encryption used on real code. Now it's history ! Nintendo want to buy some time right now to have flashcarts taken out of shelves.

5. raulpica

Italy
    EDIT: Deufeufeu explained it.

6. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Unfortunately, you're incorrect. The encryption on the DS header was cracked by Martin Korth (the writer of no$gba) by analysing the DS Bios dumps. Therefore, anyone can make a binary that the DS will boot. The DSLink was already put into production as this info was coming out.

7. raulpica

Italy
    Yeah, in fact I correct my previous post, if you see a little more up.

8. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Header and encryption issues aside, who says flashcart manufacturers all use legally reverse engineered and freely available open source tools, like homebrew developers do? What if Nintendo could prove that their SDK was used to develop a cartridges firmware? That'd be clearly illegal, IMO.

EDIT: Forgot to add, from how I understand the reviews, only parts of the Acekard RPGs Firmware are open source? Does anyone have enough insight to tell if that other part wasn't created with Nintendo's tools?

And, woohoo, post #300. [​IMG]

9. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the code supposed to be part of the game development license that publishers buy from Nintendo? I'm sure even writing your own code violates several clauses of something somewhere. Somehow.

The problem is that it's all in a legal gray area. Much like torrents, even though some people use them to transfer legal content, 99% use them for piracy. The "distribution of legal/open source/public license data" defense may work for a while because the law isn't clearly defined, but since it's a gray area, the side with more leverage can tilt the interpretation of the law in their own favour; in the case of torrents, this varies from country to country. Guess who has more leverage in this case.

10. deufeufeu

Member deufeufeu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Cote d'Ivoire
    woohoo my daughter on the avatar !! [​IMG]

11. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

I was asking because I remembered a certain developer saying somewhere on the PH board that flashcart manufacturers had to use the Nintendo SDK for cartridge access. But now that I read it again he was only referring to SDK functions being overwritten.

EDIT: and, well, congratulations to your healthy daughter, I guess. [​IMG]