1. exangel

exangel executioner angel

United States
    Same thing happened to me as @[member='demonicstrife'], however traditional unbricking has done nothing. although i know that the beta loader takes 10-15 seconds now, simply nothing happens.
    Things I've tried:

1. Using another AK2i (on the "Tennis" bootloader) to run the update (then swapping bricked in)
    2. Using an Ace3DS to run the update (swap obviously)
    3. Doing both of the above on a different DS Lite
    4. Trying to restore the "Tennis" bootloader using both DS Lites

It's an HW81 Acekard, brand new from RHS (says Compatible with DSi(XL) & 3DS on the front sticker, has the authenticity sticker on back but I haven't peeled it)

On the bright side, when I use the Beta updater, the cart shows up in my 3DS XL -.- It just doesn't ever get to "Loading..."

edit: I tried to restore the "Tennis" bootloader with the intention of running the DSi/3DS version of the update -- it will not load on any of my systems, and I have double checked about all the things I tried. DSLite (OEM), DSLite (3rd-party Refurb), DSi XL, 3DS XL

I am not willing to try this on my "untouched" AK2i cartridge now.. I paid $18 for the "New" one to give to a friend with a 3DS -.-

2. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!
    Former Staff

Colombia
    you should peel the sticker and see if your ak2i is legit. the file is only designed for the official ak2i.

format your msd card and then run the update file using the official acekard kernel and not akaio.

i've never heard of an update permanently damaging the bootloader area.

-another world

1 person likes this.
  3. demonicstrife

demonicstrife *INSERTGENERICTITLE*

United States
    Reflashing it worked fine for me. I even tried the beta update again, and it worked this time around.

4. exangel

United States
    Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/xQYnU.png

I have tried different MicroSD's as well as running the update file from different carts. But I am now trying Full Overwrite reformatting a 512MB MicroSD and running the (DSL) update with the official kernel for the swap trick. This card was working properly before I tried updating it, I just wanted to ship it working with current 3DS firmware to my friend :/
    I don't know if I've made this clear before but I've used AK2i for over two years (with DSi XL) and I've never bricked any type of cart before.

One thing that may be important I want to note is that the spring is insane in the new cart. I almost injured my eye the first time I ejected a MicroSD from it.
    I may as well open it up now since it's still bricked after trying what @Another World said (never enters loading screen, no error message either when I try to boot it on DS Lite).
    The Pippa Funnell / Ubisoft icon shows up, but still, no "Loading" ever shows up even after letting it sit a good minute or more, even having confirmed the MicroSD is fine in my original cart which still has the "Tennis" icon.
    I think there may be an internal defect to my specific cartridge, so at the very least I am going to open it and remove the spring.
    @klim28 also managed to brick and fix his AK2i.

So again, I think I'll just open mine up to see if the spring is messing anything up, and I'll ask my dad to look at the PCB to tell me if anything looks off (he's a professional microeelctronics engineer).

5. retrodoctor

retrodoctor Banned
    Banned

United States
    This is not the way it works.

6. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!
    Former Staff

Colombia
    @[member='exangel'], you may have a bad msd slot. all acekard products have a 1 yr warranty. contact your reseller and ask for a replacement.

-another world

1 person likes this.
  7. exangel

United States
    I think that'll be easier than finding a guide on how to open the cart up without breaking it >.>
    And I have another cart I can send the friend. Thanks.

8. Amber Lamps

OP Amber Lamps Banned
    Banned

United States
    DMCA has never seemed to keep me from doing as I please. The US is a free country so normally you won't see anyone get prosecuted unless they are a business. There are a lot of laws broken all the time here because the government doesn't want to force people into thinking they are living within a huge prison.

9. tjexp

tjexp Happy New Year!

Gave up on the beta update then saw your comment. So I gave it another go and it worked with the official acekard kernel! :D
    thanks man!

10. exangel

United States
    I had a defective card. That's for sure now and another person who obtained their AK2i from the same vendor made a post in the warranty replacement sticky, though his carts died after first use. He didn't report having flashed it. I don't recall having used it more than once before flashing it so possibly, he may have the same defect as mine. Suspect a broken MicroSD reader on the cartridge.

I'm sincerely sorry if I steered anyone wrong. If one has successfully updated the ak2i before, it doesn't seem that there's real reason to avoid this beta. Just be extra careful if using the DSL version of the update, not to accidentally press any buttons before shutting your system off. And I think someone said something earlier in the thread about the DSi/3DS version of the update not working unless it's run from a subfolder. Sounds strange, but I never got the chance to try it.

1 person likes this.
  11. DuDutZ

DuDutZ Member
    Newcomer

United States
    hey guys just asking.. can i update this update using my pc? without the use of another working ds or dsi

12. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

United States
    No. You need to run the update on the cart.

13. bitonio6

bitonio6 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Swaziland
    i tested these files:

DSi [38768E35]
    DSL [18B1B0CA]
    DSi do not work at all, with the message "operation canceled", tested on DSL, DSi and 3DS
    DSL file work !

( I use allway the DSi File, but this time impossible to use it)

14. T3GZdev

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

United States
    blocked again on 3ds...

1 person likes this.
  15. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Succubus™ S U C C

Antarctica
    HAPPY HUNGER GAMES!!

16. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

Brazil
    Let's wait two more months to see a Acekard update that will be blocked in 10 days, pretty exciting huh

17. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Now it's blocked again. XD

18. T3GZdev

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

United States
    if only the developers would give out the source so someone more efficent could release updates at a more efficient time. -.-

1 person likes this.
  19. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Yes. If Acekard (and Cyclo) teams would just release their sources, the community would be glad to help out and keep these cards current. At this point in the DS homebrew lifespan, obsolescence by cloning is less of a threat than obsolescence by neglect. They would sell more cards if they wizened up.

20. porkiewpyne

porkiewpyne Report-er
    Supervisor

Australia
    Now that a new update is here, Imma just get my popcorn and watch as people rage when Acekard doesn't update immediately

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - available, AceKard, Update