Hacking Acekard 2i + DSi, is it possible to play GBA games on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Haven't heard anything for ages. Probably vapourware at this point. Regardless, this thread should be closed.

MissingNo._

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yelingba, go post in the Introductions forum, It'll be good for you
smile.gif

MUDjoe2 said:
Unless your DSi suddenly grows a Slot-2, I doubt GBA will be a possibilty.

I was wondering if you can change hardware to make a Slot-2.

yelingba said:
Cant you just drop the gba files on the card as you do with the other files?
Have anyone even tried?

/Bruööööl

It's not that easy, bro. It takes a lot of knowledge about coding and such to do such a thing. Nobody has tried it before, either.

QUOTE(yelingba @ Apr 15 2009, 03:25 AM)
So isnt there any program so you can get like 4 different gba roms to work properly inside one nds file?
tongue.gif
I heard of something like that once.
ohmy.gif

But the thing is to get the saves work right... :/

ME WANTZ

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It won't work, it's just the way GBA games are. It's pretty much impossible to run GBA games from slot-1. Unless, of course, it's 4MB or smaller, in which case it'll fit in the RAM.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kalisiin said:
Bah. Just get a DS Lite, and play the GBA games from Slot-2.
DSi sux, anyway.

Now, a PSX emulator would be cool, because then I could try to play DW7 from it.
Probably a PSX emulator would be too complicated for the poor thing, though.
...yeah, it would be. DSi's pretty cool though. You've probably just never used one.

Kalisiin

Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
Da-Bomb1 said:
Kalisiin said:
Bah. Just get a DS Lite, and play the GBA games from Slot-2.
DSi sux, anyway.

Now, a PSX emulator would be cool, because then I could try to play DW7 from it.
Probably a PSX emulator would be too complicated for the poor thing, though.
...yeah, it would be. DSi's pretty cool though. You've probably just never used one.

No, I DID use one...till those basterds tricked me into the 1.4 Update.
And THAT is why I hate the DSi. They can sit there and screw up your system, on an aftermarket basis...and without disclosing to you that their "update" is solely in order to screw up your ability to use a flashcard.

No, i'll stick with a DS Lite that they can't screw with.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's why you don't just go and update stuff without first researching it a bit. And it wasn't just solely to break flashcarts, it was just put in because it was an update and it was a good time for them to do it.

Kalisiin

Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
Da-Bomb1 said:
That's why you don't just go and update stuff without first researching it a bit. And it wasn't just solely to break flashcarts, it was just put in because it was an update and it was a good time for them to do it.

Yeah, well, live and learn...fuck me for being a clueless noob. I didn't know any better, and never imagined Nintendo had the ability to do what they did.

wilsonlam97

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
bloodome said:
Actually you can have GBA Games on the DSi with the AceKard2i. They call it the "PASSME" option. You need to put the program called "OSMenu". I have tried and it works very well. So even though everyone says there is not a solution to this there really is and no one is looking hard enough. And it does work because I have found a reliable .pdf that shares this info. It is way at the bottom on page 2 of the file. This is the .pdf file, so click on the words here!
yaynds.gif
Thats only for DS Lite if you use passme. You have no fucking idea what your talking about.
blink.gif
To use a passme you need a SLOT-2 flashcart.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Maz7006 said:
Nin10doFan said:
Whoooa, wait a minute... The DSi has like four times the ram then the older DS's. Is that not enough to play GBA games?

No and No, it is less than 4 times, its only slightly larger, i can't remember specific numbers.

On topic, if you wish to play GBA games you have to hae a Slot-2 card, errrrmmmmmm.... there is no slot 2 so sorry you are out of luck

The DS and DS Lite both have 4mb of RAM. The DSi has 16, that is exactly 4 times as much. The problem is all flashcarts run in DS mode, setting the RAM back to 4mb whilst using a flashcart, which you need to use for homebrew. Even if the DSi mode was unlocked for use with flashcarts and we could use the full 16mb of RAM, I believe we'd need a lot more hourse power to get GBA ROMs running as they should at full speed. Tell me, how well do your SNES emulators run on your DS with a Memory Expantion?

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
not possible in ds mode and since dsi mod is currently not available (except the save hack for cooking coach)
it's pointless to ask right now
although there was a gba emu being worked on for iplayer (not confirmed real yet, could've easily been faked)

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I recall that the original DS couldn't access Slot-1 or the rest of the DS specific hardware in GBA mode.

However has anyone proved that this still applies to the DSi?

For all we know Nintendo put code in the currently encrypted firmware that makes GBA mode execute from the SD slot or maybe even from Slot-1 as they do plan on releasing GBA games via the yet to come Virtual Console.

The DSi may lack a slot-2 but that doesn't mean it lacks the Arm7 hardware! The key to GBA on the DSi is in how Nintendo coded GBA in the official firmware. Which is yet to be cracked open by the way! So we need to at least wait till the encryption gets hacked before we pass judgement on this....Unless your an elite hardware hacker and know for sure the DSi has no way of running in GBA mode....

I would have liked someone have the faith to at least give a serious attempt at doing a GBA emulator for the DSLite. (or virtuallizer would be the correct term seeing that it doesn't have to emulate 90% of GBA as the hardware is already there for it!). But alas the Slot-2 flashcarts just gave them a reason not to bother with it.

Hopefully the DSi will prove you all wrong!

NightroadX17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wilsonlam97 said:
bloodome said:
Actually you can have GBA Games on the DSi with the AceKard2i. They call it the "PASSME" option. You need to put the program called "OSMenu". I have tried and it works very well. So even though everyone says there is not a solution to this there really is and no one is looking hard enough. And it does work because I have found a reliable .pdf that shares this info. It is way at the bottom on page 2 of the file. This is the .pdf file, so click on the words here!
yaynds.gif
Thats only for DS Lite if you use passme. You have no fucking idea what your talking about.
blink.gif

Before you start saying that he has no fucking idea what he's talking about, why don't you do a bit more research. AceKard 2i, on the DSi, with an expansion, can use passme. Read the .pdf that he linked. ^^

dhjohn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NightroadX17 said:
wilsonlam97 said:
bloodome said:
yaynds.gif

blink.gif

Before you start saying that he has no fucking idea what he's talking about, why don't you do a bit more research. AceKard 2i, on the DSi, with an expansion, can use passme. Read the .pdf that he linked. ^^

I looked over this pdf linked again (as I did read the section referenced the first time it was mentioned) to make sure I was remembering this next bit correctly. I was.
You need to yourself read the pdf. I'll quote here, highlighting the important pieces.

The Acekard 2 can be used as a passkey, so you can boot your slot2 flash carts with it.
AK2 also support 3in1 expansion cart. You can run gba games from MicroSD card directly.
*You need insert MicroSD card with OSMenu to use Passme function.
*Expansion cart sold separately.
*There is no Slot2 in DSi.

As the pdf you want us to read itself says, Passme (though they call it passkey for some reason) boots a cart that is plugged into Slot 2.
It also brings up the 3in1, which also plugs into Slot 2.
The last line of the quote clearly states: The DSI has no Slot 2, therefore, you cannot make use of features requiring a Slot 2 device.

I'm not sure how to make that any clearer.

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
The iPlayer's GBA emulator (Still in progress) wouldn't be able to run on any standard DSi flashcart because it takes advantage of the iPlayers' special hardware. All we can do is wait for a flashcart or some sort of hack to enable DSi mode to run take advantage of the DSi RAM and play GBA games.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PettingZoo said:
The iPlayer's GBA emulator (Still in progress) wouldn't be able to run on any standard DSi flashcart because it takes advantage of the iPlayers' special hardware. All we can do is wait for a flashcart or some sort of hack to enable DSi mode to run take advantage of the DSi RAM and play GBA games.
Dunno, haven't heard from that guy who was working on the iPlayer emulator for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?