Acekard 2i + Akaio + Expansion Pack = SAV ?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Hem, Aug 27, 2009.

Aug 27, 2009
  1. Hem
    OP

Newcomer Hem Member

France
    Greetings to all,

I'm sorry, I looked at around ten pages and all in the forums, I never thought I would have to bother the threads list with such a common question, so if someone could answer to me or at least give me a link to another topic where this question has been well answered, that'd be nice.

I put my Acekard 2i in my DS lite, I put the expansion Pack too, and I launch GBA roms with Akaio. I had the official Acekard2i loader before but then I put Akaio instead, after reading recommandations here and it actually did improve (since I couldn't launch any GBA roms with the Acekard loader). Ok, but now here is the problem : I don't clearly get how GBA sav files work. I play Chu Chu Rocket, I save, I turn the DS off, then on, it asks if I want the backup, I say Yes, then when I launch the game it asks if I want the sav of the game back, I say Yes : it works. When I do the same for another game, like Rayman, for instance, I do the exact same process, but I don't get any saved file ! the game is always empty when I get back to it ! Is that a known problem with some games like Rayman, or is it something I missing in the process ? Is that linked to the fact that the DS says there is no GBA game inserted in slot 2 when I turn the DS on, even when the expansion pack is in ? or it has nothing to do with that ?

Thank you all, please excuse my fr... english, actually. Cheers !

2. Hem
    OP

Newcomer Hem Member

France
    Allow me a tiny up, I'm pretty sure somebody may have the solution...

3. Hem
    OP

Newcomer Hem Member

France
    New tests today, that add to my idea that it's all linked to GBA games themselves, and not to akaio loader, the acekard or even the expansion pack : I tried Crash Bandicoot 2, and it saved correctly (with the backup at the boot and the loading at the game launch). Then I tried Castlevania but it didn't save at all (even with the backup or the loading).
    I thought, too, that it could have been a problem related to the Games version, like (U)sa, (E)urope, and so on. But I tried every possibility with every version, and it did the same.
    Even without any answer here, I wanted to contact the akaio team to have confirmation that it was a game's compatibility problem, but I couldn't find any contact.

...help, somebody ?

4. Hem
    OP

Newcomer Hem Member

France
    Nobody answered to me so far and I'm impressed, since a lot of people here seem to take time to answer to other topics, minor ones, or more complexe ones, and so on. Could it be I put this thread in the wrong section of these forums ?

So far, tried several other GBA games, the same happens. Half can save, half can't, but I'm impressed when I suppose the reason is only a compatibility one...

Anybody knows about GBA roms and sav here ? Anybody from akaio team ? Anybody that could take two minutes to make the same test for me with the same games I quoted previously so that we can be sure it does come from the game ?

Thank you...

5. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    Ask the AKAIO forums. Or just wait here.

6. Pendor

Member Pendor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    AKAIO GBA loader is far from perfect.

Try GBAExploader instead.

7. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    this could be an issue with the sram of your 3in1. this could be an issue with the battery of your 3in1. this could also be an issue of the save type of the roms you are testing, the patching methods of akaio for the gba rom, etc. you should debug this by trying 3 roms. when you flash to psram your saves will back up on the next reboot (depending on your akaio settings). play, save, reload, then flash a new game, play, save, reload, then flash the 3rd game. if all load/save and play fine then the issue is with the roms you are using. which roms to use is a questions because this could very well be a compatibility issue with akaio and the gba flashing code.

as pendor stated the code is far from perfect and is not updated. there is no point to attempt to track down smiths, he has stated that he no longer wants to update the code. the code does work, and it works pretty well, and he seems to be happy with that aspect of it.

after you test with akaio try 3 other games (or the same 3 but remove any saves) using the homebrew gba exploader.

all you can do is debug everything you can think of and research about gba save type patching. don't get frustrated if 100 or so games don't work because everything else shouldn't cause that many issues. i've run about 200+ gba homebrew files with akaio and never had a save issue with the 3in1 using psram and the native akaio flashing system. but i've also heard many people complain about akaio's gba support.

make sure you know what 3in1 you have. the older gba exploader apps won't work on the 3in1+.

read the akaio wiki for more info on the 3in1 support and options. also read the link section as it contains a few tools for *fixing* the 3in1. finally check the gbatemp download center for gba exploader. it is in the nds apps section

goodluck!
    -another world

8. Hem
    OP

Newcomer Hem Member

France
    Ah, at last some encouraging answers from several fellow DS companions from beyond the ocean ! I couldn't hope for more ! I felt both down nobody had answered to me so far, and ashamed to claim for some help everyday, updating the thread, which is not that far from spamming. But at last !

Jakob : that's a good point, but where are they ? Do you mean here on gbatemp, or on some akaio site ? I can't find any !

Pendor : I followed your advice yesterday evening, took GBAExploader here on gbatemp, I think it was something like the 1.58b version. I put it in my SD, ran Akaio, launched GBAExp, tried to launch a game... impossible. Whatever was the game I tried to launch, it always went white at worse, to the "GameBoy Advance" screen and froze at best... Whatever the game was, whatever the launch was (psdram or normal).

Another World (great game) : Thanks for all the process and tests. I'll check that tonight at home if I got time and will get back to you the sooner possible. Thank you for taking the time to tell me so much to help. And I think, if my memory is right, that I bought that : http://www.leetmod.com/images/products/ezf...pack/ez3in1.jpg

Cheers to all !

9. Pendor

Member Pendor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I use that combination all the time and I've rarely had problems with it.

Possible solutions:
    1) Backup the sd's contents. Format it using Panasonic's SD Formatter. Copy the contents back to the sd. Use fresh files, if possible. Try different ROM sources too.
    2) AKAIO's 1.4.1 DLDI file is somehow broken. Replace it with the one included on the latest official firmware. That may fix the problem. The file is called ak2_sd.dldi.

10. Jakob95

United States
    akaio.gbatemp.net

11. Another World

Colombia
    the akaio forum is not for asking anything. its for posting bugs after users have fully debugged. if you want to speak to the devs or discuss akaio join #acekard on the gbatemp irc network.

12. Jakob95

United States

I can't I got banned from #Acekard and #NDScheats because I said Normmatt isn't god. The guy who banned me was Narin. If you could unban me thanks. I take it back normmatt is god if he wants to be.

13. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    NO!
    Narin didn't ban you! don't simply accuse people!
    anyway, i will unban you and behave [​IMG]

14. Jakob95

United States
    It was Nero. He banned me. My bad Nero and Narin are identical names almost I got confused.

15. Hem
    OP

Newcomer Hem Member

France
    Hi all,

I tried (almost) everything ! Format as you told me, Pendor, or all the explanations from you, AnotherW. Damn, I'm so sad.

Could anybody who got the same material test it for me ? Like :

Ak2i card + 3in1 Expansion Pack + Last Akaio OR GBAExploader + Rayman rom (U) or (E) for GBA OR Castlevania = SAV possible or not ?

I know it takes something like ten minutes just to tell a stranger if it works or not, but, hey, that's what forums are partially made for... so, let's hope one of you will be able to do so, I'll thank anybody in advance for that !

Cheers...

16. Another World

Colombia
    i'll see if i can do some testing with those 2 games in the next few days.

-another world

17. Hem
    OP

Newcomer Hem Member

France
    Thanks AW ! I'll keep an eye on my thread every day, then. Cheers !

18. Hem
    OP

Newcomer Hem Member

France
    Hi there,

Er, just to mention that I still haven't found any way to make these few games work... anybody gave it a try ?

Cheers