Hacking Acekard 2... what is this?!

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
All the while I've been saving for a CycloDS, because I wanted something that can do SDHC and I figured that hell if I plan on buying something new I might aswell buy something that kicks butt. Buuut what's this I'm seeing now?

As I said I had no intention on going for something cheap again. BUT. I see this new cart around called AK2 on DealExtreme - it supports SDHC, does everything that my R4 currently does and iiis irresistibly cheap. It's like a dream come true...?

All in all, I'm a buyer who wants good quality, SDHC support, and I really ain't into the whole real-time saves and slow-mo business. Apparently from my research... the AK2 along with EDGE and a few others would satisfy me to the fullest. And out of them, the AK2 seems to be the cheapest. So it appears that it's the right cart for me right?!

I can see it's gotten a Gold Award on GBAtemp's reviews. What I'd like to know is if there are any objections to buying this cart, and what they would be, all in all WHY should I choose the AK2 and not some other similar cart(price aside)? Also are the R4 saves compatible with the AK2?

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FYI there's an online save converter over at shunyweb, I used it to convert my DSX saves to AKRPG.

AK2 is more recent than R4, so generally speaking it's better. R4 is still popular though, so if you want the same card that everybody else owns I guess you'll go with that.

Personally I bought the RPG because I like the onboard memory. Either way, I would still pay more than an R4 or anything else for the fact that it's open source. Because you seem to be really into the fact that it's a few dollars cheaper (and don't get me wrong, that's nice) but try thinking about it as an investment. You only have to pay for the card once, so what's the real difference between something $20 and $60 if it will last longer and you'll get better features out of it?

What I'm saying is, don't just base your decision on price. Otherwise, to my knowledge the AK2 does just about everything the R4 offers. You didn't really say what you're looking for, but the of the two things you mentioned: yes it supports SD cards, and yes it's cheaper than just about anything else on the market.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I could buy an R4 yes, but why on earth would I want to buy something I already have?
tongue.gif
Why do you think I asked about R4 to AK2 savegame conversion in the first place? XD

I've heard... mixed opinions about the AKFS. And I want to buy an AK2 instead of a CDS because I'm not convinced that the $35 differrence is REALLY worth it just for RTS and slowmo.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you're not interested in real-time saves and slow-mo stuff, there is probably no reason to spend the extra money on a CycloDS or Acekard RTS. Many people consider the Acekard 2 to be the best cart for those who aren't interested in those kinds of features, mainly because the AK2 has a really nice and responsive menu system (and Bliss' custom menu system adds even more great features). Compared with the Edge and other similar carts, the AK2's menu is much nicer.

The only thing you might be a bit concerned about is that the cart is a little bit "flimsier" than some carts due to its plastic case being held together by clips instead of glue or screws. I think if it was glued shut it would seem a lot sturdier. But as it is, it's not so flimsy that it feel like it's going to fall apart or anything, and I haven't heard of any breaking (and the cart is usually inside the DS most of the time anyway).

Nearly all of the new carts have SDHC support, so that won't be an issue regardless of which cart you buy. The AK2 performs best with a fast microSDHC card, so you'll want to get a class 6 microSDHC card like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...k=4gb%2bmicrosd.

I don't recall whether the AK2 has the same save file format as the R4, but if not there is an online save file converter that can convert your saves.

-Bri

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The AK2 doesn't use AKFS.. it uses standard FAT/FAT32 FS.
the AK2 is the same as the Acekard R.P.G but without onboard memory, and it isn't open source.
The Acekard R.P.G is the best card on the market (IMO) and the AK2 is the same, so i'd say, go for the AK2 (or if you want it all, buy the AK R.P.G)

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you own an R4 then what exactly are you hoping to get out of owning a Cyclo or an AK2?

And where those features are concerned (slow motion and save states) that's not actually dependent upon the product so much as the loader software. My AK RPG using the custom loader has slow motion and they're supposedly working on adding save states as well. It also supports stuff like soft reset patching and cheat.dat with UI to toggle them within the OS, etc. I don't know if these are on the AK2 or will be since (for some reason) they still haven't merged the two loaders so the same program will run on both products. But as far as I know the AK2 will end up supporting those features, and still be cheaper than the Cyclo.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I've heard about the flimsy design... I'm still thinking if it'll be a problem or not because I've heard many people notice it but none report that it actually broke or came apart. Anyways a piece of scotch-tape all around would solve the sturdiness of the cart I believe... I've not heard any complaints about the actual HARDWARE quality of the cart so it all sounds safe.

I hear a lot of talk about menu responsiveness and aspect... so that's what it all comes down to huh? When there's no more actual issues or features to agrue about when comparing carts it gets to menu competition? All this menu talk itself is pretty much a sign that in terms of functionality there isn't any differrence, which is what I've seen from my searches. Furthermore the only function debates I HAVE heard of are soft-reset not working with some and working with others, that's about it.

I have the money for an AK2 on my account right now and I've added it to my shopping cart on DX. I'm pretty much only seconds away from ordering one, and from what I gather I shouldn't have any regrets for doing so...

dib: The single most important thing I'm hoping to get out of this is SDHC support. Also a refund for my R4 purchase by selling it to someone else.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
The only thing you might be a bit concerned about is that the cart is a little bit "flimsier" than some carts due to its plastic case being held together by clips instead of glue or screws. I think if it was glued shut it would seem a lot sturdier. But as it is, it's not so flimsy that it feel like it's going to fall apart or anything, and I haven't heard of any breaking (and the cart is usually inside the DS most of the time anyway).
You know you don't require a license to buy your own glue and do it yourself, right?

Incidentally, my DS-X was constructed the same way with the clips. A screw would be preferrable though because if one of them should break while opening, you're not going to ever replace it.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Order placed. Wether it was a good choice or a bad one, will be determined within a month... but I believe I did the right thing.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's a great cart, Searinox. You won't be disappointed, and the menu is a joy to use.

Searinox said:
I hear a lot of talk about menu responsiveness and aspect... so that's what it all comes down to huh? When there's no more actual issues or features to agrue about when comparing carts it gets to menu competition? All this menu talk itself is pretty much a sign that in terms of functionality there isn't any differrence, which is what I've seen from my searches. Furthermore the only function debates I HAVE heard of are soft-reset not working with some and working with others, that's about it.

That's a fairly accurate analysis, yes. With Bliss' menu, the AK2 will do nearly everything you want it to do aside from RTS, slow-mo, and those kinds of features. It will even run GBA games and the browser without requiring a loader.

-Bri

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Good to hear.
biggrin.gif
I have a question actually. I heard one downside of the UI is that you gotta build the cheatcode DB for every game. Does this modified interface you speak of facillitate/automatize/remove altogether this inconvenient method?

Duke_Jay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bri said:
It's a great cart, Searinox. You won't be disappointed, and the menu is a joy to use.

Searinox said:

That's a fairly accurate analysis, yes. With Bliss' menu, the AK2 will do nearly everything you want it to do aside from RTS, slow-mo, and those kinds of features. It will even run GBA games and the browser without requiring a loader.

-Bri
I have never heard of something called like that, lets google it lol.
blink.gif

@Searinox

It is a great card, however the original menu is a pain in the ass if you use cheats alot (which I dont lol but I tried it one time) but you can scroll very fast with your stylus etc. Also the 3 basic skins you get are looking very very nice.
wink.gif

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I hear the build quality is bad but I'm assuming that's restricted to the case alone, and that it won't die or short out on me or something right?
Duke_Jay said:
Also the 3 basic skins you get are looking very very nice.
wink.gif
...now why did I have a hentai image pop into my head the moment I read you say it like that? XD

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Searinox said:
Good to hear.
biggrin.gif
I have a question actually. I heard one downside of the UI is that you gotta build the cheatcode DB for every game. Does this modified interface you speak of facillitate/automatize/remove altogether this inconvenient method?

Bliss' menu fixes this. I don't know if it's been fixed in the official menu.

-Bri

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Cheat.dat? Whoo, so I'm free of conversion issues! One more thing-- I heard there's a little setup necessary to get the AK2 running with Ezflash 3in1?

SavageWaffle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The AK2 is a good "budget" Flash Cart, which also supports SDHC. So what if its flimsy? Its in your DS most of the time. And you can just spend $25 buying the AK2(DealExtreme) and spend what $1~$2 on a super glue, open the AK2, glue the edges/lines, there its shut COMPLETELY.

Kellicros

Trophies
XP
Country
IMO, the AK2 case look sturdy enough, maybe it is a bit flimsier compared to cards like R4 and DSTT(2 cards I owned), but it is still quite solid, it's certainly not like it is gonna break when you drop it.

Searinox said:
Cheat.dat? Whoo, so I'm free of conversion issues! One more thing-- I heard there's a little setup necessary to get the AK2 running with Ezflash 3in1?
Enable rumble/ram via patches for particular roms and you're done, GBA games are loaded directly from the OSMenu and that is a neat feature.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Just the rumble? That's the only problem? I was more concerned about expansion RAM since I don't have rumble(I moved the circuits of my NDSL 3in1 into a GBA-sized case and in the process removed the rumble motor because I don't like rumble at all). Another thing I didn't see in no review was the AK2's battery drainage. How is it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head