Acekard 2 Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by ROM Troll, Jul 2, 2008.

Jul 2, 2008

Acekard 2 Troubleshooting by ROM Troll at 8:22 PM (4,195 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. ROM Troll
    OP

Member ROM Troll GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I see a lot of posts flaming Acekard but not many from owners trying to resolve their problems(other than sending it back.) Maybe there's a temporary fix until Acekard can permanently resolve the issues. Post your experiences in a sincere manor here.

I recently received two Ultra Guide labeled versions from DX and they're working one day so far. The only thing I don't like is the long load times. This is my first SD card solution so I don't know if SD card solutions take longer to load than cartridge based solutions. I just know the Acekard 2 is taking longer to load game backups than my G6 Lite. However, I've yet to come across a NDS backup that hasn't worked with the Acekard 2 including ones that flat out fail with my G6 Lite at its default management settings.

I like the included USB SDHC adapter; so far it's working great with my USB1.1 compliant system and Transcend 4GB SDHC microSD cards. After preparing the first microSD card it took 1 hour to create a WinXP backup file. I then restored the backup to a second microSD card that also took an hour. As far as AK2-in-use, I've loaded game backups and deleted some game backups from the microSD cards.

So far the only time I received the Fat Error message was when I intentially placed one of the AK2 in the slot-1 w/out a microSD card inside. From this, I think the message could be a general multipurpose error message used whenever there's an issue between the AK2 and the microSD card whether it's connection related or corruption on the SD card. If you've received the Fat Error message, was it related to one SD card and if so, did you reformat the card or even do a low-level format?

2. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    You might try out the beta version of the menu (make sure to backup your saves first). It's supposed to dramatically reduce loading and saving times.

According to Acekard, there is nothing a user can do to fix the problem on their own, and they recommend that the user return them.

Unfortunately, the problem can occur out of the blue anywhere from a few days to a few weeks of usage. The errors that users get are entirely unrelated to the microSD cards (the same cards will work in a different Acekard 2 and reformatting the card doesn't help).

-Bri

3. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    I had a problematic encounter, although I don't know the source of it...

When I first received my AK2, I went in knowing that it's functionality was a toss up, due to the bad batch reports. I decided to move some of my old games over from the SCDS1, as well as try a new game to test it out. All my old games/saves converted over fine and worked normally. I also started up Super Princess Peach (don't laugh, lol) and played through the whole thing in a few days without any problems. A couple things I did notice that was a bit different (when compared to the SCDS1): Whenever the game has to stop, to load the next section and whatnot, it tends to take a bit longer than the SCDS1. Also, if you're wearing headphones, you can actually "hear" the game loading (faintly, if that makes sense). Of course, I knew what to expect from reading a small portion of reviews, and this is simply a comparison to the SCDS1.

Now, here's where the real problems come in.

When Space Invaders Extreme came out, I stuck it onto my MicroSD and played it rigorously, without any problems, for a few days. After about one week of owning the new AK2, I was playing Space Invaders Extreme, and it began to give me problems. After certain stages and levels, when the game had to stop and load for the next section, it would often freeze at a black screen but the music would continue playing. Even though soft-reset was enabled, it wouldn't let me soft-reset when this problem occurred. The only way to continue would be to shut off the DS and reboot. This happened at random load points in the game, but quite often to the point of annoyance. I formatted my MicroSD, and tried again, but was met with the same problems. I later found out about Bliss OS and started using that instead of the official release. I haven't run into the problem since switching over. The source of the problem seems odd to locate, since none of the changelog updates for any of Bliss OR Official Firmwares state fixing S.I.E. [​IMG]

Also, once or twice, while in local multiplayer S.I.E. with a friend (who's using a SCDS1) I would unexpectedly be dropped in the middle of a game and met with a "Communication with the other play has been lost" message. However, local multiplayer works more often than not, so that's good. [​IMG]

Other than those problems, all other games have worked fine, the MicroSD reader works great, and the OS Menu is absolutely gorgeous and easy to navigate. [​IMG]

4. ROM Troll
    OP

United States
    I concur but curious, is your USB connection 2.0 compliant? Some owners report the microSD reader gets hot but mine wasn't even warm yesterday when I put it through a good use of creating the card, backing it up, and then restoring it to another card.

5. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    This is the one he's referring to:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=93166

6. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    My computer is actually quite dated (Dell desktop manu'd around 2000) and is does not have any USB 2.0 ports. I've never felt it get hot at all and it still works like a charm. [​IMG]

7. ROM Troll
    OP

United States
    Maybe the higher throughput of data increases the operating temperature of the card reader.

8. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    I only have USB 1.1, and the card reader that came with my AK2 definitely heats up during use. It hasn't been a matter of concern yet, but I have a USB 2.0 card on the way, and I expect the reader to get much hotter when running at 4-6 times the speeds I get now.

9. ROM Troll
    OP

United States
    That's unfortunate regarding your card reader. However, it's possible the temperature will not increase by much as you may have a couple of things in your favor.

1) Your card reader may just run at a higher temperature range(aka your unit runs hot). I've read about this recently with analog-to-digital converter boxes, some owners claim the RF connectors on the back are very hot to the touch while others with the same model can touch them all day long.

2) While it may not take much to move the temperature from warm to hot, it will take a lot more to move the temperature from hot to hotter.

Ofcoarse you don't want any heat because heat kills so depending on your SDcard investment(size) you may want to use another companys reader.

10. jabjab

Member jabjab GBAtemp Fan

United States
    but then at higher write speeds the drive will be operating for shorter periods of time so wont build up heat for so long
    will probably even out

11. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    It still heats up pretty damn well when you use USB 2.0

12. ROM Troll
    OP

United States
    I have three Transcend 4GB microSDHC cards from Amazon that are currently cheaper by $3/each than when I ordered 2 weeks ago! Model #: TS4GUSDHC6 Speed: Class 6. These are the same model as advertised on Newegg as compatible with Wii, Xbox, DS Lite. All three are working with 2x AK2s, 1x AKRPG, however two of them require the SDLIST.ini to be modified for allowed use. Their serial numbers are the same up until the last two digits so they're pretty close in production I'd assume: xxxxxx-xx21, xxxxxx-xx35, xxxxxx-xx40. Two went to my nephews for use in AK2s and I kept one to use with the AKRPG. Upon first time use of the cards with the AKRPG, I had no trouble with mine, but the other two trigger the known AKRPG message saying the card is not fast enough and suggests copying the backup to the NAND.

The AKRPG speed results are as follows: mine at 3333 and the other two at 8192. I thought the difference may be from the amount of data on the cards as well as the specific game selected upon first use of each SDcard. Through testing I have ruled those theories out and believe I'm getting 100% reproducible speed results based on either their post-production characteristics or current post-use condition. I'm adding this up for discussion as I'd like to narrow down the reason for the speed discrepency.

Facts and questions for consideration:
    1) The identical speed results of the two cards used with the AK2s seems more likely from post-production characteristics than from length of use. The two "8192" cards have the most use; by a factor of 20 to 1 over the "3333" card. The "3333" card has less than 5 minutes of game play and the biggest load it's seen is copying 2 GB of compressed data onto it, followed by uncompressing the data, and deleting the compressed files. The "8192" cards likely have 15 hours of game play combined but not distributed equally, likely 2/3rds by one and 1/3rd by the other. The biggest load they've had is either from continuous game play or from a one hour back-up(experienced by one of the two) and one hour restore(experienced by the other card.) "If" length of use is a primary factor, I would expect to see the same area of speed results but not identical results. Do SD/SDHC cards have performance loss? Did the AK2 degrade their performance? Did the AK2 card-reader do it? Did XP do it!

2) Post-production characteristics could account for the identical speed results. Do these speed results show the "8192" cards are defective in achieving class 6 performance? Should I RMA the two and take my chances hoping to get better performance like the "3333" card?

13. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    I have a Transcend 4GB uSDHC card from Newegg. It always gives a speed of 3333.

14. AK2ftw

Newcomer AK2ftw Newbie

United States
    Okay, I have encountered a problem.

Whenever I start up my DS, and go to the Acekard, it just gives me a white screen. If, for some reason, you couldn't understand the previous sentence, here is a version for the other people. "turn my DS on, Get past the screen where it says "touch the screen or press any button to continue, touch the part where it says "acekard 2 www.acekard.com" and from there, all I get is a white screen, it doesn't go into the acekard menu. Help would be appreciated.

15. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    yea you sure did. you revived a thread from jul 2008.

-another world