Hacking Acecard and DSi native OS updates and other questions

laserjock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A week or so ago I ordered a DSTWO/Supercard and got it quickly, but after 2 days having it, the darned spring loaded MicroSD mount stopped click locking the SD cards in place. I then tried using tape to hold them and broke two MicroSD cards in the process. Also, things weren't working that were supposed to work: AVIs wouldn't play, PDFs wouldn't open, and it kept saying the wireless capability was disabled even though it was set up in the native OS.

So why, in an acecard forum do I say all this? Because I am pondering getting a Acecard instead. I have questions if I may ask?

The acecard doesn't have a processor like the DSTWO, correct? So does that mean that if Nintendo updates their OS the acecard could end up not functioning?

I am sending this DSi and flashcart and 2 MicroSDs to my step son overseas in Asia. I need to choose the wisest choice since he doesn't have a computer or internet (uses a cafe for that), and shipping there is a hassle. Sadly, just buying this stuff THERE is a no go, the DSi costs upwards of 300 bucks there, and I doubt he could get ahold of a flashcart there.

Am I better off with an Acecard or R4 or something, or should I stick with the DSTWO/supercart...

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia

laserjock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys are the greatest, thank you so much for the invaluable information. I'll stick to the DSTWO/Supercard. I liked it, just the darned spring loaded mechanism I don't like, but maybe my experience is rare (MicroSD card slot spring loader broken)? So I should disable the update setting in the DSi too, huh?

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
DSTwo >>>>>>>> AK2i

1) Built-in CPU
2) No contact issues
3) Really good construction (usually)
4) Works on ALL firmware versions and probably always will at least for the DSi
5) Damn good warranty/RMA support

laserjock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so it was a fluke. I am trying to decide between getting him One pc @ 32 Gig and one pc @ 4 gig {OR} two @ 16 Gig MicroSD. Also, what class should I shoot for, is class 4 adequate? On Newegg, what would you get? My BIL swears by Sandisk. I've owned GSKILL and TEAM memory among other brands (Corsair, OCZ, Samsung, Kingston, and others). I lean towards GSKILL. I realize there are probably only a few fabs that make all of them. The reason I suppose a 32 Gig and another small one for backup is my favored choice is it would mean less often he would unplug it, since I've had this experience. I'd like this all to last him a couple years. Then I'll get him the latest greatest if I can afford it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
DS games are small, you can fit 70-100 (depending on the selection) on an 8GB MicroSD already. A 16GB or 32GB will be more than enough for DS games.

We usually recommend Class-4 or Class-6 (6 to be safe since the price difference is negligible nowadays), but higher is often wasted money.
Class is write speed, not read speed, so it's not exact (you can have a class-4 that reads better than a class-6 for example), but usually if you get a decent-manufacturer Class-4 or Class-6 you'll be fine.

Yeah some of them are rebrands, and some, for example Kingston, actually sell extra stock from other companies (so the quality's inconsistent). We tend to recommend PNY, A-Data, and Transcend in particular.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208453
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208475
These are examples of what I personally recommend.

laserjock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! I have some more DSTWO questions, so I'll open a new thread in that forum. One more question acecard related: I was under the impression that the acecard was the next best choice after the DSTWO. If the latest DSi update voids that, IS there a second best choice?

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
3DS updates already voided the AK2i for that console.

The second best would be the R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), which was the AK2i's direct competitor (same software base, same feature set, same price).
True, but you still have to watch out what PCB type you're gonna get with the R4i Gold since as of now they only support revision C, instead of 9, A, B and C.
But I guess you can always ask them to pre-update it with the latest firmware, so they have to give you a rev C.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGAHfC5P-Y