According to Sony, price cuts are "annoying"

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Linkiboy, Jul 23, 2007.

Jul 23, 2007
  1. Linkiboy
    OP

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
  2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I think Sony needs to melt down their marketing droids and start over with them.

3. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Oh My God. I just got a little bit less intelligent reading that article.

4. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Well it would annoy all the poor European people who bought the console before the price cut [​IMG]

5. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    Wow, David Reeves sure has been at it since E3.

6. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The sooner those people learn their lesson the better off they'll be.

7. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    So this Christmas isn't critical but next Christmas is? Wtf? Its vital that the PS3 does better in within a year otherwise most of its potential customers will go for the Wii or 360, it needs to sell a lot more consoles otherwise developers will go elsewhere and there'll be even less titles for Christmas '08.

Sure its bugger when something you've bought is a lot cheaper after you've bought it but at least it would mean that more people will be able to afford it to increase the user base thus making it less of a risk for developers to make games for it. I'd love it if the Wii became cheaper for that reason.

I doubt it would make much difference to those who bought it already if it dropped, they've already got one, I doubt they'll stop buying titles for it.

8. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    Nice to see sloppy reporting from IGN once again - the original interview can be found on spong.

Anywho, in all fairness the current European prices aren't too bad - in the UK, you can buy a PS3 with 3 games and extra controller for £395. In the US the 60GB PS3 has just been dropped in price to $499 (£243) - but once you add tax it comes to £285 then add on the price of a few games (3 x £30) and controller (£25) though it's around £400 also.

I saw a second hand PS3 (60GB) in an independent game store the other day for £250, seemed like a cracking deal but I refuse to buy any more consoles until I start finishing some games on the ones I have at the moment!

[​IMG]

9. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    I'm having the same damn problem, only it's already to late [​IMG]

Bought the PS3 at launch, just bought a new samsung LE26S81 yesterday. Next week the Wii will probably hit in my room. But I still have to finish my GC/PS2/DS/PSP library. I still have to play through Wind Waker... But all I seem to do is browse the internet. I don't even think i've finished more than 15 games the last couple of years, even though I still have tons of them.

10. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    ... actually he might be right. Didn't the PS2 not do that well until about a year after it's release, when the price dropped and there were enough games out to make a decent catalogue?

But I think they're forgetting, DVD players were still quite expensive then so a lot of the PS2's sales were from people who wanted a DVD player and figured that, for a similar price, they could get one that played games too. The PS3 hasn't got that weight behind it, so they're going to have to come up with something else to win over the casual gamer market.

In short I think sales will pick up in the future, but unless they get their act together it won't be the big jump they're expecting...

11. Linkiboy
    OP

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Uhh...

Tax on the PS3 in the US would be about 30$, unless you live in Chicago, New York, or California.