Hacking accidentally wiped microsd and forgot to backup emunand

• Thread starter Deleted-19228
  • Start date
  • Views 1,663
  • Replies 14
D

Deleted-19228

OP
Any ideas on how to recover the emunand partiton? I am most likely hosed but I figured I would at least attempt an FS recovery.

D

Deleted-19228

OP
Anyone know the partition table format or something that will do a deep search?

Honestly wouldn't be that bad but I have a feeling I just lost all my saves -_-

D

Deleted-19228

OP
Yup -_-

I might have an older copy on another SD card but probably not. Not the end of the world just more annoying than anything. Would be interesting to recover though.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Any ideas on how to recover the emunand partiton? I am most likely hosed but I figured I would at least attempt an FS recovery.
If you haven't put any files at all on the SD card after you wiped it then there is still hope. If you put as much as one file on it then it would have likely been written at the beginning of the filesystem and overwritten part of the emuNAND, corrupting it.
Since the emuNAND is encrypted no file/partition recovery software will work for it, and most likely if even a small part of it was overwritten it will no longer boot.

Either find out the size of your emuNAND partition (use a different SD card and make an emuNAND on it then check the size of the unpartitioned space at the beginning of the card), and reformat your card the exact same way with the same unpartitioned space at the beginning.
Or better yet, make an emuNAND on the second card, dump the partition table from it and insert it to the formatted card, which should lower the chances of making mistakes. Then you can resize the FAT32 partition to fit the card.
To do either of those you'll need some 3rd party tool though.

That won't recover any CIA games, save files etc. you had stored on the card though. To recover those you'll have to use recovery software like Recuva (free) or GetDataBack (not free, but I've had more success with this one, it does more in-depth scanning) You should probably do that before you mess with the card any further, make sure you back up the files to your PC and don't write them back to the MicroSD though.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
D

Deleted-19228

OP
If you haven't put any files at all on the SD card after you wiped it then there is still hope. If you put as much as one file on it then it would have likely been written at the beginning of the filesystem and overwritten part of the emuNAND, corrupting it.
Since the emuNAND is encrypted no file/partition recovery software will work for it, and most likely if even a small part of it was overwritten it will no longer boot.

Either find out the size of your emuNAND partition (use a different SD card and make an emuNAND on it then check the size of the unpartitioned space at the beginning of the card), and reformat your card the exact same way with the same unpartitioned space at the beginning.
Or better yet, make an emuNAND on the second card, dump the partition table from it and insert it to the formatted card, which should lower the chances of making mistakes. Then you can resize the FAT32 partition to fit the card.
To do either of those you'll need some 3rd party tool though.

That won't recover any CIA games, save files etc. you had stored on the card though. To recover those you'll have to use recovery software like Recuva (free) or GetDataBack (not free, but I've had more success with this one, it does more in-depth scanning) You should probably do that before you mess with the card any further, make sure you back up the files to your PC and don't write them back to the MicroSD though.

I specifically just need to get something working. I have a backup of the actual MicroSD contents, just not the emunand part.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I might have a backup on another laptop that I left at my office. Hopefully that will work.

IF I have a backup of the emunand even without the actual game installed on it, as long as it hasn't been formatted my previous saves should still be OK, correct? Just may need to reset secure value?

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know having just gone through this recently that if you have games installed, and then inject an emunand from before those games were installed, that they will NOT be present in your emunand.

To fix this you will have to put those games on your card and go into big blue menu (maybe others, but this worked for me) and make like you're going to install them. A message will come up saying that the content is already presentand refuse to go through with the installation process. I'm assuming this just reverifies the tickets in the emunand, as after you do this, the game shows up on your emunand, all wrapped up.

Again, this is ONLY if you installed those games previously and inject the same emunand from a previous date.

Not sure about the saves though. Any game saves should be found on the root of the card.

Last edited by Drak0rex,
D

Deleted-19228

OP
I can deal with reinstalling, no big deal. Just hope the saves are still ok :)

D

Deleted-19228

OP
Reflashed old emunand, reinstalling one game to test. As-is, before installing the game it says it's "broken" I *REALLY* hope the save comes back after.

EDIT: Nope. No clue what to do. Replace title.db on emunand with title.db from sd card?

EDIT 2: Awwwww yissssssss. After reinstalling the CIA I had to re-copy the game + save data from my backup. Then it loaded. WOOT!

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: get a used series X?