Accidental V4.2 update... strange outcome

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by johnybjb, May 19, 2010.

May 19, 2010
  1. johnybjb
    OP

Newcomer johnybjb Member

United Kingdom
    I softmodded a friends wii some time ago whilst on V4.1, he accidentally updated to V4.2 via a game disc - and obviously USB Loader GX stopped working. Strange thing is HBC was still installed (I thought this gets deleted when wii software is updated). Anyway tried to use http://gbatemp.net/t171901-modify-any-wii-...ow?&st=5550 but bannerbomb would just kept locking up on any version I tried on the website.

Because I had HBC I jumped to the section "Restoring the Trucha Bug, Removing Stub IOS's, Installing cIOS & Patching the System Menu IOS" which worked, now USBloader works fine.

The only think is bootmii is not installed, so how can I do this? Strange that bannerbomb does not work eh?

2. Wack0

Member Wack0 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Install BootMii using bannerbomb2, or just copy the hackmii installer boot.elf into a folder in sd:/apps/ if you can't get any version of bannerbomb2 to work.

3. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    the homebrew channel didn't get deleted because it was the latest version and has the JODI titleid, not HAXX like the old kind.

the update shouldn't installed stubs IOSs and removed the cIOS and bootmii.

4. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    ^ When you update the HBC Channel, it's ID tag get's changed to JODI. Which happens to be the name, of Nintendos Anti-Piracy division leader. So instead of it being deleted, the update skipped right through it, because it looks for the ID tag HAXX.

5. johnybjb
    OP

Newcomer johnybjb Member

United Kingdom
    Guys, thanks for all the replies. I did not run via the SD card icon, which was my problem. I did not think to copy boot.elf to apps folder and rename, but when I read this I thought Doh!!!

So now installed bootmii as boot2, is it worth installing the priiloader component so I can set the option to block disc updates?

6. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Install priiloader. If for some reason you don't want priiloader, use startpatch. Install one (and only one) of them, since updates usually equal misery.