Access Youtube via Charles Proxy on Switch (with working video playback)

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by driverdis, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Sonicfan1007

Sonicfan1007 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2017
    United States
    I can't add the port to the proxy server. Only allows me to do my ip. Is there a tutorial on setting up a proxy?

2. Shaggy_

Shaggy_ Newbie

Newcomer
    May 8, 2017
    I tried the first set of instructions and it just connects to the internet without opening google please help?

3. driverdis
    OP

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Make sure the conntest.nintendowifi.net rule box is checked.

unchecked means it will allow the Switch normal internet access (updates,eShop, etc) whereas checking the box makes the test fail and pops open the web browser to accept the web portal agreement (which is actually google.com) then you can browse the web using that web browser.

if that does not work, make sure the Switch iself has the proxy server info entered into it.

4. Shaggy_

Shaggy_ Newbie

Newcomer
    May 8, 2017
    I did all of that and none of it works

5. doingitwrong

doingitwrong Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    removed

Last edited by doingitwrong, May 22, 2017
  6. driverdis
    OP

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I updated the files for the BrowseAnywhere method. I added rules to block updates and phoning home. This fixes the update message that blocks the web browser from opening. This also fixes the eShop update message and allows eShop usage on older firmwares (this requires turning the conntest.nintendowifi.net rule off so the web browser does not open up)

I am not updating the Charles rules or the YouTube Fiddler rules as the Fiddler BrowseAnywhere method is the recommended method and I will only support that method.

If you want to add the rules to Fiddler or Charles yourself, block these URLs
    Code:
    http://beach.hac.lp1.eshop.nintendo.net:443
    http://sun.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net:443
    http://receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net:443
    http://receive-lp1.er.srv.nintendo.net:443
    Sorry if it took so long, I have not used my Switch in a while and had no idea a forced update check was enabled for the WiFi portal page and the eShop.

Last edited by driverdis, May 24, 2017
  7. doingitwrong

doingitwrong Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    using fiddler im unable to play games online, but can still get to the eshop / no update nag. error code 2618-0201 any ideas? :(

8. driverdis
    OP

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Try turning off one rule at a time and see if it fixes online play. I would start with turning off the 2 receive ones as those are the phone home addresses and should still block updates.

9. luicaps

luicaps Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2017
    Canada
    Hey, just tried using Fiddle, and got it running well... apparently (I can see logs in Fiddle).

But whenever I hit "Company Info" I get the message "This page cannot be displayed" with a button to "Return to previous page". I'm using the "YouTubeSwitchFiddler" settings file in Fiddle, but I also imported both files (the Youtube one and "Fiddler_BrowseAnywhere") and got the same result. The interesting part is that I see Fiddle tunneling www.nintendo.com/corp to m.youtube.com.

I also tried ProxSwitch, with which I can access the Youtube page, but nothing loads (no thumbs and no video, but I can browse channels and videos).

I just realized that my switch is updated to the latest version, 2.3.0. Is this the possible cause for the Youtube page not loading properly, or may I be missing something?

10. driverdis
    OP

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    The browse anywhere method will prompt for a portal login when you do a connection test. That will open google or the the other site instead of a login page.

11. hitodesu

hitodesu GBAtemp Regular

Mar 10, 2017
    United States
    This worked flawlessly for about a month but now not so much. I am on 2.1.0 and I have updated the rules to the latest addition yet it still won't work. I have quad checked both of the respective settings and I see nothing wrong with either. And lastly dns browser works so I am lost.

12. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    I'm trying the trick to browse everywhere, but the connection always succeed, I don't receive the message that it failed
    What am I doing wrong?

Shaggy_ likes this.
  13. Shaggy_

Shaggy_ Newbie

Newcomer
    May 8, 2017
    I did this but it hasn't worked still it just says that the switch has "Successfully Connected."

14. Noctosphere

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    anyone else can help me?
    I've followed all the steps and yet, when I do the connection test, it just run it regularly, no authentification popup, nothing

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

btw, i do see connection in fiddler proxy

15. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    I'm confused, does video viewing on youtube work or not?

16. driverdis
    OP

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Yes, it does work. at least it does for me on firmware 2.0 with the config files i made and uploaded.

17. Noctosphere

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    then can you help me please?

18. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    oh, so this is somewhat system version dependant, see, I'm on the latest so likely not much I can do there

19. CoolJoey244

CoolJoey244 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2017
    United States
    thyraxx likes this.
  20. Justin20020

Justin20020 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    Germany
    It doesn't work for me on 3.0. My connection doesn't failed if I set my IP adress and the port of the proxy correctly. Dont know what to do now