Hacking Access Wii USB Drive over WiiConnect24

MBond42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep a lot of my media, including backed-up Wii games and recorded movies, on an external hard drive that is connected to my Wii. The advantage of this is being able to access my entire media collection and Wii game collection without having to swap discs in and out of the drive or constantly move files from my computer to a usb stick to the Wii. The problem I am having is in accessing the files in my hard drive from my computer. Ideally, I would like to be able to access these files to copy data to and from the drive without having to physically disconnect and reconnect it to my computer, mostly out of laziness. I know that there is a Wii FTP client and SMB client, but I was hoping I could map the Wii as a network drive on my computer and be able to access files that way without having to turn on the console, probably via WiiConnect24. I was wondering whether such a feat is possible, and if so, how it could be done.
If not, could it be possible to run Wii games off of the hard drive connected to my computer via a network instead of a direct connection? Thank you in advance.

krazykipa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It'd be much easier to simply use that hard drive for only games, and stream music, videos, files etc. via SMB. It's the setup I have running and it's pretty low-maintenance.

As far as network booting backups, IIRC no backup loader has network support as a feature yet (correct me if I'm wrong)

MBond42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's actually a pretty good suggestion Krazykipa, except for the fact that I don't have enough space in my computer for all the data on my hard drive. I might end up getting another external drive sometime when I can find one discounted, which would solve that problem. For now though, I'll have to try implementing a network solution.

WiiFan2012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DON'T get discounted ones! Always research the drive and when it comes down to it, always ask "why is it discounted?" (to yourself). Because some store sell used drives as "new" and discount them.

MBond42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Well, there was just a release of a library that allows use of WC24, but what you are asking for is just not going to happen unless you were to create it yourself. I think it is a great idea, but if being lazy is what motivates you then I'm sure that it's just easier for you to get up off your ass than it is for you to write an app.
Actually, I wouldn't mind writing an app if I knew that other people would find it useful. The trouble is, while I have some experience in Java, I don't think what I know would be nearly enough to write an app sophisticated enough to carry out its intended purpose. I might still try sometime, just for fun.

jbm715

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So you want to be able to copy movies and games from your computer via wifi to your wii. I've also been wanting this for a while. I love being able to ftp games and movies to my modded xbox.

MBond42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
If you want to COPY movies / games use FTPii server. It will take REALLY long.
I was hoping I could avoid FTP for precisely this reason. Since I know the Wii is capable of downloading data over a wi-fi connection while in standby mode (because of WiiConnect24), I thought I could maybe map my Wii (well, actually, the hard drive attached to it) as a network drive, which would not only allow me to copy media but to play it from my computer. That is, unless there's something about the nature of WiiConnect24 I don't understand.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
That seems to be doing things very backwards - the PC is generally the media server, the console is simply the client. I can't see there being much interest in coding this, as most people do it the opposite way to what you want.

krazykipas suggestion is the best you'll get. Get another HD, fit it in your PC and put all media on that, setup a smb share and access it via the wii.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiConnect24 doesn't keep the wifi on all the time, it turns it on to check for new content and then shuts it down so your server idea couldn't work.

MBond42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I ultimately found an old DC-Powered hard drive my father wasn't using, and am now using it to run my Wii games, with the first hard drive connected to my computer acting as a server. It would be nice if at some point it would be possible to stream Wii games across a network, but until then using two hard drives is working great for me.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently the Wii doesn't even have wireless g, just wireless b. There's a topic in the backup loaders forum where they found that trying to load a game like that would give you more or less 2X read speed, slower than playing from a DVD backup. Definitely not worth it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    @DinohScene Can you please delete my comment here? I cant edit since it'
    ..since it's locked and I really dont want to be a part of their attention seeking nonsense any longer.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://gbatemp.net/threads/goodbye-guys-girls-others.653902/#post-10401826