Hacking Abstinence frustration: Problems with neek2o and wiiflow

kowiia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Let's face it, abstinence gets frustrating.

This has bounced between threads and pm's but I'll update the whole story here.

-I have a korean wii late 2011, a real wii with gamecube support, 4.3, unmodded, and korean discs.

I am stubbornly trying abstinence (casper + neek2o) largely because it seems like a neat idea and should work. At some point I would at least mod enough to launch neek2o without scrolling back to the same date last week, but whatever.

-So I made some modmii abstinence sd and usb setups with uneek2o, no di.
-I mostly tried korean nands to keep it simple, some with almost no options, no priiloader, etc, and some with full options.

I'll number the problems:
1) When I put in a disc I eventually get the wii system error "an error has a occurred, tough luck for you (roughly translated from korean)" Eventually means either in a minute or so, or when I load the disc, which ever comes first.

A few posts and several tests later, Overjoy says neek2o 96 cannot play korean discs, ok.
He pm's me with rev97 beta and says the new di can play korean discs.

Great.. so first I try to make di work in 96 without playing any discs.
2) Di doesn't work in neek2o 96 on this wii. (or in the beta)

At this point xfalk had already helped me figure out how to get bootmii in casper to actually do a nand dump (it can't normally) and so I am able to test also with the dumped nand (processed through showmiiwads) and also with modmii nands that have cert.sys inserted just in case that's an issue. (Everyone should nand dump this way BEFORE modding)

Without di (installing it but renaming it to di.bin.disabled) any nand loads up fine. As soon as I re-enable di, none of them do. Of course I deleted nandscfg.bin and diconfig.bin and even tried deleting the generated directories in the nand. no comnbination worked. I also tried a usb flash drive instead of the 2.5 inch hd I was using, no change in results at all. I tried many combinations of things and once or twice I thought it worked. Either I got confused about what I had installed those times (most likely) or it simply depends on some randomness because making it actually work was never reproducible.

It freezes at the scam screen after some usb drive access. An empty diconfig.bin is created (all files are created without modification times update: Overjoy says the missing modification time is just a feature of neek2o prior to version 97 so that's understood now). A proper nandcfg.bin is created, the nand directories like import and sneekcache are created. Sometimes I get fat corruption as a result, maybe just because of things crashing, who knows. On one nand at least, maybe where I had previously enabled some neek debugging, I got cdilog.txt with "Cache magic check failed to Recreate cache"

So I pointed out that I had no game image on my usb because I had read that this was a problem in the past. Overjoy agreed that this was likely a problem, although i read obdc'd neek2o thread post where he seemed to say this had been fixed over a year ago.

The point though was to use wiiflow to install games and since I can't read discs... that's a conundrum, so I managed to get get a hold of something anyway, installed through wad backup manager (and verified with it) into usb:/wbfs/blah[blah]/blah.wbfs

.. but this changes nothing so, bummer.
I usually follow instructions pretty well when they exist. I don't see how this can be much simpler: Use modmii.. make sd and usb files.. load them, works without di, fails with di, on multiple usb devices (no korean discs involved here). End of story. It doesn't work. I'd love to hear that I'm doing something wrong though. Could this be because it's a recent model korean wii with very recent ios versions and recent hardware? I don't know.

This leads me though to a new problem. Now I can test actually playing games from wiiflow (not from neek2o directly since di doesn't work).

3)Wiiflow sees the game in usb:/wbfs/ but when I click play, it tries to access the optical disc (why?) and I get "Disc_open failed"

What the hunh? Why is wiiflow trying to access the optical drive? Maybe it's something about this game? Well, I'll try another one soon. update: According to overjoy below, wiiflow won't work until I get di working.

Bottom line, this has been a disaster I'm afraid, no offense to any developers. It obviously is working for many. Limited and old documentation and limited error handling and reporting aren't helping though. Some of that is understandable in a hijacked environment.

I'd still like to get neek2o with wiiflow to work, but I'm running out of things to try.

Oh a couple of other funny little issues:
4) I don't know how to use the di menu, because I haven't had di working, but when I press 1 on neek2o in system menu I get a channel menu. If I then press two I get some menu with thousands of selectable lines of corrupted text (usually just a character or two or even empty) followed by "(invalid)" on each line. None of this seems to do anything and it isn't bothering me.
5) The debug settings in the config menu don't stick (basically anything on the first page of the config menu. The save settings option doesn't seem to help. Maybe they aren't supposed to stick?

Postloader seems to work well at least although it doesn't see my wbfs game.

kowiia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Update: tried wiiflow with a different game, so one each now of pal and ntsc even. Same error Disc_Open failed.

I have searched and find nothing about this error in reference to trying to play a game on the usb.

as for the funny corrupted neek2o games menu, at the top it claims that I have 25165824 games. That would be neat.

OverjoY

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
- Wiiflow requires uneek2o+di
- The beta di module doesn't work with r96 build with ModMii
- If the files/folders created don't have a date/time stamp you aren't using the beta rev
- The corrupted lines in the menu probably mean a wrong combination of kernel and di module

Reactions: kowiia

kowiia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the feedback.

Ok, the fact that wiiflow doesn't work without di is good information. I'm surprised, since wiiflow is a called usb loader I think, but ok.

The other points are not relevant at the moment
- The beta di module doesn't work with r96 build with ModMii

Mostly I was not trying to use the beta di module and when I did try to use it, I tried it with the beta kernel (update for clarity: both on sd and usb).
What I tried was a straight up un-altered modmii installation, no mix and matching, no hand copying of individual files, no room for error.
So a 96 kernel and a 96 di (when I was even trying di at all).
I even used the rebuilt modmii nand at the same time to make sure nothing got altered in it by accident when it was loaded with a previous configuration.

- If the files/folders created don't have a date/time stamp you aren't using the beta rev
Right, fine then, I wasn't trying to use the beta di. As stated I was just trying to make di work in the stable release first. The only reason I needed beta was to load korean discs. I was testing without discs just to get di to even run.
I did ALSO try the beta version (with the beta kernel) and I think it is true that I saw time stamps then, ok. Otherwise the beta version (with the beta kernel, I'm not an idiot) had the same symptoms.

- The corrupted lines in the menu probably mean a wrong combination of kernel and di module

That could be true IF I were using di at all. I wasn't using ANY di, because, as stated, I can't boot to the system menu when I'm using di. Probably there should not have even been a menu, but there was.
It is possible that at the time I saw that, the nand I was using was not fresh, ie I had previously attempted to load that nand using di, so it's possible that di left some trace in the nand as far as I care, but di was not running. This was not observed (ie I didn't look) during one my controlled tests were I completely rebuilt EVERYTHING first, but there is no doubt that di was not running. I'm looking at the drive now. It's no big deal. The corrupted games menu isn't causing any trouble

I don't haphazardly start changing one thing and then another in random ways mixing things together.

kowiia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So this all boils down to one main unsolved error,
Forget korean discs, forget trying beta anything.

Loading a modmii install of rev 96 uneek+di with no modifications to either sd or usb will not load on this wii with no optical disc and with valid games on the usb. Running the exact same install with di disabled will.

This is an obervation reproduced several times and as if there is any possible way modmii could have pulled the wrong version of di off a random directory in my PC and dumped it in fresh sd/usb install install directories (deleted every time before running modmii) and then onto the usb drive, I even checked file sizes as a last check every time because the version do have different sizes. I'm actually quite systematic.

Did I start completely fresh every time I tested? No, of course not. There are times for experimenting and times for double checking. Sometimes I'd just copy in the nand I wanted or just copy in the kernel and di files to sd and usb. But when things didn't work I ALWAYS verified that again by then doing it again completely fresh. Reformat the sd and usb. Delete the modmii install directories, install straight from modmii AND double check the file layout (is di included or not as expected, do the kernel.bin file lenghts in sd and usb match, does a nandscfg.bin exist etc.) If anything was amiss I would have started over because fresh means fresh.

kowiia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
usually the corruption means that neek20 does not play well with the HD do you have a flash drive to use to setup neek20 on then transfer the files to the HD

Ooops I missed your reply scooby. Yes, I guessed this too, although things are fine without di. Anyway, I did switch to a flash drive (it's in the fine print in the first post) and re-verified all the same behavior. I do not remember seeing the corruption much since I switched to the flash drive, but I think I remember eventually noticing a FOUND.000 folder so it probably happened at least once. I'm not sure (the whole flash drive been emptied out since then so I can't check). I don't know about transferring files from the flash drive to the hdd. I suppose you just mean once it's working, then I can try the hd again.

The corruption is not not every time though. At first I thought the modification time issue and might be related to the corruption so it wasn't initially clear just how intermittent the corruption was, but ti became clear that this was a separate issue, and now overjoy verifies that. One little piece of the puzzle at a time. There is still the issue of zero length diconfig.bins which may or may not be related to corruption but probably are related to di failing to load.

I also had the sd corrupted once, but once out of all this isn't much, could have even been from pulling it too fast on the PC during some quick experimentation.

For me at least there is also the cache sync error as a mystery but this might have nothing to do with any problems. I never saw this while do a clean modmii test. I think maybe that required having a nand where debugging had already been turned on in uneek2o (even though the debugging options don't seem to stick).

There are many interesting peculiarities clues, problems and tests, but the main thing is still that the emunand won't load with di with a simple modmiii install.

Is it possible that both my flash drive and hdd are incompatible with neek2o? In my mind I guess yeah, it's possible. Overjoy thought it unlikely that uneek2o is compatible but uneek2o+di is not. I have a usb card reader and some sd cards I could try for the usb side.

Some fault handling and reporting would be extremely useful when things go wrong. Is it impossible because neek2o doesn't have full control over things or is it just not implemented?

kowiia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure if this will help at all but the it wasn't until like the latest release of WiiFlow that it was actually compatible with Korean games. You might see if updating helps out.
This is certainly helpful information to avoid the next problem. I think to get to where that's an issue I first must
1) Get a nand to load with uneek2o+di with no game disc, only with wbfs games merely present (which aren't korean). This is the biggest obstacle and in principle the one that has very few variables it seems.
2) Switch to the beta version of uneek2o+di
then I can try to install my korean discs with wiiflow and at that point, this is probably good information. I don't know what version of wiiflow I'm using now. Modmii had a (documented) error trying to update to the latest version. As I recall it tries to updated to 4.1.1 and fails, and is left with 4.1.0. I might have that wrong.
So I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

kowiia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It would help if I could rule out some variables and focus on a simple install so I have fewer things to try.
First I just want to get the nand to even run with di. I am willing to try one more time to reformat everything (maybe with a different formatter tool this time) and do one more clean install but I want to narrow down the options.

-Do I need to play with my real nand or should this really work fine with a modmii nand?
-Do I need cert.sys from my real nand to make uneek+di simply boot? to access discs? to make wiiflow work? to make anything else work?
-Do I need cIOS249 option in modmii? (for the same set of cases)
-Do I need priiloader installed by modmii? Is it simpler to get things working without it or with it?

If I can get a firm set of test options that really SHOULD work, the I'll reformat, re-install, run chckdsk before and after, wait a ton of time for things to work, dot all the i's one last time. This test should NOT be concerned with getting korean discs working. That's for later after getting rev 96 +di working without korean discs.

OverjoY

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
-Do I need to play with my real nand or should this really work fine with a modmii nand?
No, a nand build with ModMii is fine.
-Do I need cert.sys from my real nand to make uneek+di simply boot? to access discs? to make wiiflow work? to make anything else work?
No, should work fine without cert.sys.
-Do I need cIOS249 option in modmii? (for the same set of cases)
No, cIOS is useless and ignored by neek2o.
-Do I need priiloader installed by modmii? Is it simpler to get things working without it or with it?
No, Priiloader is useless and ignored by neek2o.

I suggest you to join our IRC rooms on irc.abjects.net, room #cdi for neek2o and #wiiflow for Wiiflow.

kowiia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks overjoy. I'll try one last time with this very simple setup then.

I'm also reformatting with what seems to be a more popular tool than the one I used. Easus.

Some of these answers should be relayed to xflak. ModMii leads one to think things matter that don't and to think that things work that don't. Most specifically it says when selecting options for a neek nand that cios249 is required for some apps. Also it provides an option to include priiloader, which according to your answer has no use whatsoever. I might recall seeing something in his official documentation making vague claims that cert.sys might help make some things work (vague claims like that are really annoying when you do don't know what's wrong). Probably there should also be a note that wiiflow won't work without di.

I'm rebuilding now with a theme, postloader and wiiflow only.

OverjoY

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Since ModMii can build both normal neek and neek2o, it can also build a nand for both and, therefore, the additional options.

Be sure to create a fat32 primary partition with 32kb cluster size and set active.

kowiia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
another thing to be paranoid about..

32k really means 32 or less right?

I was previously using 32 k with fat32 formatter. Now trying easeus that many people seem to like, it only allows smaller sizes on a different sd that I'm also trying.

kowiia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
oh.. and no modmii abstinence skin gui does not provide any option to install regular sneek, as in non neek2o sneek, unless it is a hidden option or somehow an implicitly lying option (like after selecting a neek2o version and then selecting sneek only without di then it magically decides to not use neek2o after all).

Try it yourself and see.

PS. this is taking awhile because I treid a different sd card and it DID produce corruption without ever even involving the wii... an unrelated problem entirely but a distraction. It's an extremely old card and now in the garbage.

kowiia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No dice. Frozen at scam screen. It simply doesn't work.

detailed steps to reproduce:

buy one unomidifed (retail purchased by me) korean wii late 2011 model.
run modmii 6.2.6
type "I Agree"
select abstinence
selected korean 4.3 real nand
select wilbrand
enter fake mac address (will fix it later)
select neek2o rev 96
select uneek+di
selected fat32 only for usb
selected korean 4.3 emu nand
selected two empty directories for sd and usb files
selected only postloader wiiflow and a theme (the theme helps make it obvious I'm in the emu nand)
keep default serial number
select all channels
select dark red theme no spin
select finish

showmiiwads eventually gives an error about cannot find /tmp/WADS or something like this. this seems normal and doesn't seem to break anything. I hit ok.

modmii does its thing and finishes without error (unusual actually, it used to complain about updating wiiflow)
go to sd directory/sneek. Verify rev.txt uneek+di 96
same for usb
verify kernel.bin file lengths.. 216kb for kernel.bin and 22 for di.bin (these are different in beta version)

Reformatted 1 gb sd card as fat32 8k in easeus partitioner, 1 primary partition, set active
reformatted 32 gb usb flash drive, 32k, 1 primary partition, set active

copied files to each
replaced "private" directory only on sd (It's easier than typing the real mac address every time)
ran chkdsk /r on both sd and usb partitions -> no problems.
pulled both, reinserted, ran chkdsk again.. no problems.

stuck them in the wii.
( I put the usb flash dirve in the slot toward the top of the wii when the wii is on lying flat. This is the slot that works without di.)

no disc in wii
Booted casper through wilbrand message bomb.

See wii get stuck forever (waited 10 minutes this time, have waited longer before) on scam screen.
wiimote is still synced. Eject button works.

shutdown wii.. pull sd and usb

run chkdsk, one lost chain found on usb, 32k in size. SD is ok.

usb:/sneek/diconfig.bin exists with 0 length
nandscfg.bin exists.
All nands subdirectories exist now: import, shared2, sneekcache, tmp

You cannot document and review steps thoroughly like this on irc and they cannot be easily viewed by others hours later.

To me these are the possibilities
1) uneek2o +di does not work on korean wii's of this vintage
2) doesn't work on this particular wii (ie hardware problem)
3) Both the very different usb devices I've tried are not fully compatible with uneek2o+di
4) Someone isn't telling me something.
5) ?? I don't know what 5 is.

Now that I have a documented simple process with agreed options, I might try to recopy the files to different devices if I can scrounge up different devices free for use. But that's the only idea I have left.

OverjoY

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is the beta kernel module working for you without di module?

If so I can send you a link to some files (pm) later today that will generate some log files that maybe tell us what goes wrong

Reactions: kowiia

kowiia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes I believe the beta kernel was working without di. I'm pretty sure. I didn't play with it much. Thanks. It would be amazing if anyone could just add a "sneek/logme.cfg" file to the sd with an integer log level in it and have a ton of log output just dump to sd and/or screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?