Absolutely broken internal keyboard / trackpad on laptop?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by QuarkTheAwesome, Sep 20, 2016.

1. QuarkTheAwesome
    OP

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    Hey all!

I've managed to screw up my laptop. Badly. Long story short, I was playing with FreeDOS (on-hardware, never been much of a VM guy) when the internal keyboard stopped working. Thinking it was an OS glitch, I rebooted the machine into Windows 10 only to find it doesn't work there, either. The trackpad also doesn't work. The thing that worries me the most is that the keyboard also doesn't work in the BIOS. The keyboard still shows up in Device Manager (Standard PS/2 Keyboard, "plugged into keyboard port") while the trackpad doesn't (it's Syntapics tomfoolery however, no idea if it was ever there in the first place). I'm using USB keyboards/mice to type this, all the other devices on the machine seem fine.
    I'm thinking I may just have to send it in for repairs (pretty sure it's still under warranty) but if anyone has any ideas to fix it so I don't have to go without for a few days that'd be awesome. It's a Lenovo Ideapad 100S (14IBR).

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Have you tried doing a power reset? ie. turn your laptop off, unplug it, remove the battery, hold the power button for 30 seconds, release, then put the battery back in and try powering on? It's possible it could be a weird power issue.

It sounds like it could be a loose connection, too, so if that doesn't fix your problem try taking apart the laptop (if you think you're able to) and checking the keyboard connection.

If that does nothing, supposedly people with similar issues on Lenovo laptops have fixed this simply by hitting: "Ctrl+Fn+Alt+Up arrow" So I guess you could try that, too.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  3. FaTaL_ErRoR

FaTaL_ErRoR AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ

Mar 9, 2014
    United States
    You used freedos KEYB didnt you?
    If memory serves correctly microsoft has a repair tool for this. Your bios is running msdos keyb.exe but you ran the freedos one. I'll look tomorrow for the repair tool. Unless someone coughs it up before me. It's a real easy fix though. If you have a keyboard working you can search for it yourself. And may even be able to launch the mskeyb via free dos to fix you issue. Cant really remember though.

4. FaTaL_ErRoR

FaTaL_ErRoR AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ

Mar 9, 2014
    United States
    Ok, program was for xp. Hit start/ windows icon, type run then input devmgmt.msc
    Find the ps/2 device and roll back the driver.
    If that does not work then you will need to find the correct drivers for the ps/2 connections and attempt to reinstall them.
    If you need assistance please give the model and brand mobo and ps2 pci card brand and model. (If integrated then mobo is all needed with processor)
    Freedos running on hardware without pulling original ms commands will result in overwriting functional drivers with feedos drivers from the person that wrote the freedos you are using. That is why you call to mskeyb.exe instead of the freedos. Those drivers run bios level so what you have is wrong driver for your setup. Hopefully reinstalling the correct ones will fix this otherwise we are foing to have to do this through free dos and hope it takes.