dysan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
hey guys,lately I have developed a hunger for wii games but most of the games don't deserve their price tag or they have stopped shipping them over so I have decided to hack my wii.

I have checked out the sticky about softmodding but it says to install some programs on my wii that I don't want...unless I absolutely have to.

I ONLY want to play wii games.
I don't want dvd players,I don't want to play any homebrew games or use any homebrew app for that matter.

I just want to play the official wii games.

any help?
rolleyes.gif

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I can't follow you
You just want to play original games? Whats the problem then?

If you mean playing backups, then you will need to do the steps of the guide or they won't work...

dysan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
by official games I mean games that have been released for wii...ofcourse I'm not gonna buy them and then mod my wii lol

follow the guide start to finish? it installs other programs as well....are those needed to play games? I've seen videos that install only the homebrew channel and some IOS thing (dunno what that is)

just noticed that the guide has you emailing someone to get the zip file? wtf?can't we get somewhere else?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...okay. I just skipped over the 'modify any wii 4.2 & below' thread, but I must say that it doesn't install any programs you don't want or need.

Can you do it with less than in the guide? Technically...yes. But if you check these forums, you'll find that almost everyday, someone comes crying that their wii got bricked and that they don't have a means to restore things.

The problem is usually not due to these people being too dumb to mess with their wii, but because they followed a (often outdated) guide half-heartedly and didn't took caution until it was too late.

Let's see what the guide covers (a bit of an overview of the steps)
-safely update to 4.2. This is important because the 4.2 update removes all homebrew -> skip this part, and every disc update can be your last one (recent example).
-bannerbomb: simply crucial to get started. No way around it
-the homebrew channel: while technically not required, it is HIGHLY advised. The reason: it makes the other steps and homebrewing about 100x easier. If nothing else, I suggest you try it until you're completely done with the guide. If you still want to remove it then, you can also do so easily (it's only 1 channel that takes up only a few blocks).
-DVDX: as mentioned, this can be skipped without problems
-bootmii: this program allows you to make full backups of your wii's hard drive. As with the homebrew channel, you don't HAVE to install it. And if all goes well, you'll never need it. The thing is...if something goes totally wrong, this proggie (and a backup made by it) is what you need to get things back the way they were.
-priiloader: while you may not NEED it (unless you're planning to use out-of-region games), it's still a good tool that'll prove it's worth easily. If you couldn't install bootmii as boot2 (depends on the model of your wii), it's just as crucial as bootmii itself.
-Multi-Mod Manager: not really crucial by itself, but it's purpose in the guide (restoring the trucha bug) is. So...just install it and follow the rest of the guide. You can uninstall MMM afterward if you have to.

Beyond that, it's a matter of how you want to play backups. Do you want to run them from an USB-drive or from discs? Either way, it'll mean installing even more stuff.

EDIT: 3 new posts since I made mine.
The zip is just to have all the mentioned programs in one bundle. All of those programs can be found individually by searching on this forum as well.

That "IOS thing" is most likely cioscorp (or darkcorp, which is the latest version of it). It basically patches everything under the hood (including trucha patching) to allow backup discs to be played through the disc channel.
In normal cases, that should be sufficient. But future proof-ness is always a bit tricky. Though darkcorp currently works great*, it's hard to predict whether it'll handle games like super mario galaxy 2 (which'll ship next month). Or a future firmware.

*note: keep in mind that the newer kinds of wii's have a different DVD-drive that simply can't use backup discs.

dysan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
bootmii is somthing like a safety net?
if my wii gets bricked or something can use that backup I made to restore it back to how it was?

priiloader's only job is to load games from other regions?

what's the trucha bug?

I want to burn the isos to disks and then insert them into my wii and play them.

would it be too much if I asked for links to those programs?
tongue.gif

check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0TVvxGOLOM

if I follow this one will it work?

kimikal27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dont be lazy and read the stickys

alot of ppl like to "try" and hack there wii without knowing what the hell they are doing, that tends to create problems

my advice is, if you like your wii, lose the time to learn what is what.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
dysan said:
1) bootmii is somthing like a safety net?
if my wii gets bricked or something can use that backup I made to restore it back to how it was?

2) priiloader's only job is to load games from other regions?

3) what's the trucha bug?

I want to burn the isos to disks and then insert them into my wii and play them.

4) would it be too much if I asked for links to those programs?
tongue.gif

check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0TVvxGOLOM

5) if I follow this one will it work?
1) exactly
2) not at all. priiloader is mostly a program that puts itself in the boot sequence before the loading of the actual wii menu. As such, it can enable a whole array of hacks. You can use it to set your wii to load directly into the homebrew channel or bootmii, set it to not having to press "A" at the health screen, prevent unwanted updates, ignore region-bound settings and a whole lot of other things.
3) did you check the link to the complete softmod guide? It has a whole section about the trucha bug.
smile.gif

4) Yes...because it would make you lazy. Get used to searching for things. You might learn something in the process.
wink.gif

5) the video starts with "there is a Risk that you could brick the wii EVEN if you do everything right". I haven't watched the whole thing, but at first glance, it seems pretty much up to par with what's in the sticky.
If, however, you're just fishing for someone to take responsibility for you taking actions on your wii, I must say...you're not going to find anyone here. Everything you do is at your own risk. It's up to you to take that risk, along with any success or failure it'll bring.

EDIT: just noticed that preloader's in the video (priiloader's the successor to preloader). That, and the fact that the first youtube-reply is from the author warning yet again that it won't work on all wii's, means I'd advise to stick to the sticky guide over that video (it's also more recently updated, by the way).

dysan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
1 last question before I start...

I use bootmii to save my pure unmodded wii to the sd card.(how much space do I need to do that btw?)

everything goes horribly wrong and now the wii is ruined.

I just insert the sd card in the wii's slot and it will automatically be fixed back to its unmodded state? or do I have to do something else 1st?

I want to be clear on this subject so someone please answer truthfully with every little detail cause I'm a complete noob.

I downloaded the darkcorp v1.0 full as stated in the complete softmod guide.
am I on a good trail? lol

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You'll need a bit more than 500 MB free space on your SD card for a full backup. It'll contain 2 files (nand.bin and keys.bin, iirc). You can store these files anywhere you want; just remember that if you want to restore them, you'll need to place them back in the root of your SD-card.

Other info should be explained pretty straightforward in the complete softmode guide. (there's a reason why it's called "complete"
wink.gif
). Since bootmii (as boot2) is loaded before anything else, it will still load no matter what you do with the software on your wii.
With bootmii as IOS, you're a bit less overall-protected (but still quite safe). You should still be able to enter bootmii by first loading priiloader (which is started by holding down the reset button while powering on the wii), and then choosing "load bootmii".

EDIT: an extra note: bootmii runs before the initialisation of the wiimote. As such, wiimotes don't work. You navigate the menu with the power- and the reset-buttons.
smile.gif

dysan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
ok WTF?! my wii doesn't recognize the sd adapter for my mini sd? what's up with that?
it will recognize standard sd cards but the one I have is only 256 mb which is not enough for backup!

when I put the sd adapter it just sticks in the slot,the wii doesn't recognize it and I have to pull the card out with tweezers for god's sake!

dysan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
no,it's exactly the same as the original 256 sd card,but for some reason it doesn't recognize it!
I have 2 adapters,one for micro and one for mini and they both stick inside the slot! the wii doesn't recognize any of them but it DID recognize the standard 256mb sd card.

kimikal27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
still dont understand why can you pull it out normally...

if it's the same size should be the to pull out even if the wii doesn't recognizes,
you having trouble pulling it out just tells me that that is not an SD adaptor

dysan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
the card needs some pushing to get it in because it's resisting for some wierd reason...after it's all the way in,you normally would push it in a bit and it would pop out.but it's not the case with these adapters I have here....they just go in but nothing happens when I push it in in order to pop it and come out,hence I have to pull them out with tweezers.

I hope you understand what I'm saying...

I'm sure they are normal sd adapters...I've been using them with the pc with no problems

dysan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
while they're in the wii? no way am I putting them in that monster again lol,I did enough damage to them as it is...

but I am 100% sure that they are official and 100% usable adapters that came with the micro and mini cards

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    ?tuw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yltcaxE