PS1/2 About using uLaunch elf and all it's features...

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Quick question. I really wanna get into the homebrew scene, and I also recently found out that I can boot up save files from GameFAQs and such with it... so my question is: Can I use uLaunch elf with Swap Magic 3.6 PLUS? I have a USB drive that I can use with it, I just wanna know if it will work. Thanks!

JimmyJangles

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I just did this today actually.

Just make a folder on the root of the usb drive called SWAPMAGIC (I think it has to be all caps) and put the ulaunchelf files in there. Rename the BOOT.ELF file to SWAPMAGIC.ELF. It should boot up automatically with Swap Magic.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Hmm... well, I did one thing differently. I was told I only needed the boot.elf in there, so that's the only thing I put in the Swap Magic folder. Booted up Swap, and it just freezes at the main screen that says "Swap Magic". :\

It also might be my flashdrive... I heard only certain ones work. I'm using a Patriot 1GB Flash Drive... anyone tried it before?

EDIT: Tried putting in all the files. Still freezes.

Kyusuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My flash drive also freezes whenever I try to use it with Swap Magic, I've renamed the boot file and created the folder but it didn't work for me. I spent about 3-4 hours going through the Afterdawn forums and other places I found in Google with some threads saying that their USB stick won't work, despite all the solutions they gave (such as formatting it to NTFS).

So I gave up and since I had the PS2 phat, I just used uLaunch via the independence exploit.

sonic209

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mine worked i just used the microsd reader that came with the r4 and i plugged the little memory chip inside with the swapmagic folder and all then it just worked when i started up swapmagic

dont use something like a flash drive to boot it up because that didnt work for me
heres a pic of a flash drive just incase you dont know what it is http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Traveler-Fl...99658969&sr=8-1

Kyusuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a PS2 Phat as well, but I thought the independence exploit was only usable through a cheat device or hard drive. :\

Well kinda, it's basically just transferring a save file to your PS2 memory card replacing the system settings (if any) on that memory card, then running the console with a certain PSX (legit) disc inside to cause the exploit to work. So you can do so by creating a action replay save file, get a action replay disc (or download one and use it with swap magic) and transfer it from there, or burning a CD with some content provided and then run it through swap magic.

To make the independence exploit save file via action replay
http://www.exploitstation.com/articles/arm...ExploitUSB.html
(note, your USB stick should work on Action Replay)

Or how to make it via a CD
http://www.exploitstation.com/articles/independence_cd.php

Here's the list of all tutorials with ones not even related to the IE
http://www.exploitstation.com/articles/articles.html

But if you are going to go ahead with trying to install the IE, you best start off with the boot file as uLaunch v4.12 or above (the links in the tutorials are earlier versions, and when I tried those, my USB stick wouldn't load, it'd just crash just like Swap Magic)

EDIT: Here's the link for uLaunch v4.12
http://www.sksapps.com/launchers/uLaunchELF_v4.12.zip

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
mine worked i just used the microsd reader that came with the r4 and i plugged the little memory chip inside with the swapmagic folder and all then it just worked when i started up swapmagic

dont use something like a flash drive to boot it up because that didnt work for me
heres a pic of a flash drive just incase you dont know what it is http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Traveler-Fl...99658969&sr=8-1
Wait, WHAT?! You used your MicroSD reader and your MicroSD card to boot it? o-o

I still don't really understand what to do for the independence exploit, but I guess I'll look it over.

I'm mostly doing this because I'm trying to
A: Play PS1 games on my PS2
B: Play save files from GmaeFAQs and such with my PS2 games.

Mostly B though.

EDIT: Went over the tutorials. See, the CD one seems pretty easy and manageable, but the problem is... How the heck would I be able to use custom save files like that? I mean.. I guess its possible if I use a re-writable CD... maybe.

sonic209

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Wait, WHAT?! You used your MicroSD reader and your MicroSD card to boot it? o-o
yup did u try it yet

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Nope, but Im about to. I'm just kinda worried it will corrupt my data...

EDIT: o________________________________________________o
Holy.
Friggin.
Crap.

It actually worked by using a MicroSD drive and a Micro SD card.

o_________________________________________o

Im gonna test if the custom memory file thing works.

EDIT2: -sigh- My brother is gonna kill me. I tested the custom memory save thing, and it didnt work. Not only that, but I forgot to back up his old save, so now he has nothing. I dont understand why it didnt work... I followed the guide down to the letter, and I can see the file in my memory card and everything... but once I boot up the game, it just doesnt even find the file. it acts like theres nothing there.

I used the guide at Shishi-Rendan... I cant link because my Firefox is a piece of crap and doesnt let me copy links anymore.

Kyusuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
EDIT2: -sigh- My brother is gonna kill me. I tested the custom memory save thing, and it didnt work. Not only that, but I forgot to back up his old save, so now he has nothing. I dont understand why it didnt work... I followed the guide down to the letter, and I can see the file in my memory card and everything... but once I boot up the game, it just doesnt even find the file. it acts like theres nothing there.

I used the guide at Shishi-Rendan... I cant link because my Firefox is a piece of crap and doesnt let me copy links anymore.

All it should have replaced is the PS2's system settings, if it were anything else then something went wrong for sure.

I'd still suggest you use uLaunch v4.12 as your boot file for Swap Magic as it has been modified for better boot compatibility and if you still want to use that USB stick.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I used my 2GB pen drive and it didn't work. Then I used my SD Card reader with a 16mb SD card inside... and it worked.

Strange Swapmagic... I think that's better to use small memories, or otherwise it might hang
smile.gif

About the save... humm... I think it has been overwritten... but dunno why it doesn't read it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.