• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

About today’s Florida shooting

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I'm only saying this once:

I'm all for responsible firearm ownership, BUT, with several caveats. The owner has to go through a strict background check, needs to be assessed for mental well being, cannot possess semi or fully-automatic firearms. Moreover, they must be trained for safety and being able to use it properly. Firearms are only as lethal as their users, people who are current mentally unstable should all have their firearms and ammunition immediately seized and penalized. I don't think all should be banned, but extremely strict regulations need to be implemented. Will it happen? I don't see that because neither side can't seem to agree on something without the other throwing a whiny bitching contest. So yeah, throw that out the window.

I said my two cents.
They also need to be checked for radicalization in their background. Supposedly this kid had a shitton of calls to the FBI against him and had joined a white supremacist militia called the "Republic of Florida"

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, interesting

*reads article*

Of COURSE it would be 4chan's fault

All things considered, though, that doesn't really change the point of my post much, other than reasoning. Cruz was part of a group chat at the school where he said a lot of racist and anti-Semitic things, even saying that he would personally cut Mexicans' necks iirc. This was NOT something that just happened out of the blue, and yet it was allowed to happen

I'd also ask everyone following this thread to watch this, if you haven't already:

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trump suggests arming teachers as a solution to the issue of school shootings. I've got a suggestion in return. We can remove all that pesky Secret Service guarding the President and just let the President carry a gun. Not only will that save a good bit of money, I'm sure then our President assassination problem will just solve itself. Similarly, we really don't need that degree of presence that is the U.S. Capitol Police. I mean, if we all have a right to bare arms, certainly that applies on the floor of the U.S. Senate and House. If any representative feels a need for protection, they can always just carry a gun.

I mean, the obvious problem to the issue of too many bad people with guns is more guns. Just like whenever we have a problem with alcoholic drivers, we recommend more cars and alcohol.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
To be honest arming teachers is a stupid idea.

Teacher are formed to teach, not to shot, they can control such a situation as well as a Computer Engineer can build an apartment building. And the same as all the apartment building residents, the Computer Engineer included, would die after it collapses, teachers with guns would also lead to catastrophe.

For gods sake, stop being a stingy piece of shit and put trained security forces around schools. Security forces are trained to control this kind of situation appropriately, using guns if required. Teachers are trained to teach. Don't make a Computer Engineer do the work of an Architect!

You would be making teachers responsible of a task they are not apt to take upon their shoulders, and also you will be distracting them from their real task, teaching, and TBH schooling in America is pretty bad already as it is.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: CallmeBerto

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For gods sake, stop being a stingy piece of shit and put trained security forces around schools.

And malls. And pools. And churches. Anywhere that children gather, there will always be security forces there! If that doesn't sound like a dystopia, I don't know what does. But it'll be a job creator! Just like the TSA. Not good enough to pat down people at the airport? Stand around children with a gun all day!

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Apparently the only way to stop people bringing guns to school is by having them already there in the first place.
How long do you think it'll take for

a) a teacher accidentally shooting someone because of mishandling the gun
b) a teacher accidentally shooting someone because they did not assess the situation correctly
c) a student shooting someone because they were able to get the gun from the teacher (either by force or negligence)
d) a teacher purposely going on a rampage and shooting up some kids or colleagues

Place your bets.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And malls. And pools. And churches. Anywhere that children gather, there will always be security forces there! If that doesn't sound like a dystopia, I don't know what does. But it'll be a job creator! Just like the TSA. Not good enough to pat down people at the airport? Stand around children with a gun all day!
I think the current state of American society sounds more like a dystopia already TBH.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently the only way to stop people bringing guns to school is by having them already there in the first place.

b) a teacher accidentally shooting someone because they did not assess the situation correctly
c) a student shooting someone because they were able to get the gun from the teacher (either by force or negligence)
d) a teacher purposely going on a rampage and shooting up some kids or colleagues

Place your bets.
Oh look the questions I've been asking throughout this whole thread are being asked by a different person now. Will the "teachers must be armed!" gun nuts actually answer them this time?? Place your bets!

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This might be a new record for Trump's dementia kicking in:

Trump cries 'Fake News' on CNN and NBC saying he'd arm teachers, then says arming teachers would 'solve the problem instantly'

http://www.businessinsider.com/trum...nbc-coverage-concealed-carry-2018-2?r=UK&IR=T

Also fun times (/s), some of the Florida shooting survivors are receiving death threats because of right-wing conspiracies claiming they're "crisis actors."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...oting-survivors-mother-we-have-received-death

Last edited by Xzi,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Place your bets.
A week, give or take

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So uhh...Trump endorsed seizing guns without due process:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/02/trump-endorses-pre-due-process-gun-confiscation.html

And we were told Obama and Hillary would be the ones coming for our guns. Trump supporters must be mad confused right about now.
That feeling when Trump was the change we wanted to see all along

(Doesn't change the fact that he's still a piece of shit and treats people as such, but hey, if he's going to start the ball on getting the second amendment revised, I'll play his game for a bit)

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's kinda tempting to tease Trump, I'll admit, but I'll commend him for finally endorsing common sense gun control measures.

(Except for the taking people's guns part. That's too extreme)

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That feeling when Trump was the change we wanted to see all along

(Doesn't change the fact that he's still a piece of shit and treats people as such, but hey, if he's going to start the ball on getting the second amendment revised, I'll play his game for a bit)
I'm sure his advisors will get him back on track as a pro-gun yahoo soon enough, it's just amazing to me that people can't see how mentally damaged Trump is when he makes statements like these publicly. It's obviously very easy to guide his line of thought in any direction because he has the memory and attention span of a goldfish.

I'd be a little worried about any president suggesting they're going to take away guns without due process. If I thought Trump was actually going to follow through on it I'd probably buy more guns TBH, he leans a bit too fascist dictator for comfort.

Last edited by Xzi,

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Liberal Agenda! It's not a Breitbart link, that's the only news outlet that tells the truth

/s

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This is probably the reason Trump's flip-flopping in public on the issue. Ask him about it now and he'll say he never suggested that.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: ThisIsDaAccount

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope you enjoy being on a watch list for that asshole comment.

US Presidents Assassinated is what I was referring to. I wouldn't be surprised if I was added to a watch list, but it's hardly an asshole comment unless it's also an asshole comment to mention our school shooting problem. The big difference is the scale of possible targets and the relatively probably of an attack. To that end, it sounds like on average about $800 million (in 2008 dollars) is spent per year to guard the President.

Even with that sort of money, they still failed at least 3 times. Given the exposure, it's not too surprising. Also, notice that nearly every modern President has been a target, although that might just as well be the ease at travel today. It'd also be absurd to offer that level of protection for every school. In truth, money would be better spent on the many other areas where children die from car crashes, drowning, and asthma. There's also congenital issues (for ages 1-4) and cancer and suicide for 5-14. Doing some math, based on CDC information it looks like the death rate for the children by homicide by gun is maybe ~14%? There isn't a good overlap of the homicide by gun 1-17 range and the listed CDC data (the report is more about differences than raw numbers for subgroups). In any case, the bigger death by gun risks seems to be the 1-4 range.

tl;dr If you want to look at the stats and not just go off my sarcastic comment--which was more moral indignation about how we treat one man over all children--, the Secret Service is probably a good investment because of the cost of dealing with shuffling people around to fill the role and generally the loss of confidence of having one's President assassinated. One could argue, possibly, something similar about school shootings. If we're really just concerned about children's lives, though, we should focus on better child restraints in cars, more research into cancer treatments (actual cures, not simply stuff that combats it), and more resources to mental health to reduce the suicides. Oh, and pool covers.

Last edited by kuwanger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't really see the point in updating it tbh